Author Topic: ALR Virtual LibraRifles by Unknown Makers - Iron Furniture Topic: S.G. 090414-1  (Read 6159 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
I was looking at this fine Iron Mounted gun marked S.G.  Isn't it a Sam Glover gun from East Tennessee?
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Yes, Sullivan county in upper E. TN

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 12:44:30 AM by Dennis Glazener »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline nord

Please confirm and I'll add it to the database. I'll also move the rifle to known makers.

Thanks,

B
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Nord,
I don't know that S.G. is in fact Samuel Glover.  Only that Samuel Glover built guns in Sullivan county.  I think we have discussed this before with no clear conclusion.

From Jerry Nobles Vol. 1.
"S. G." Steve Gibson.  Born in 1812, died in 1860. Sevier County, TN.  Grandfather of Wiley Gibson.

Ken
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 11:04:11 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
So what's the conclusion?  I was interested as saw a rifle a few weeks ago similarly marked and was told that it was built by a Glover and the family who had the rifle was from Roane County.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

SGTCOFFEE

Hello all, I must admit that I am not a collector but I do have interest in these rifles.
I have a small problem that I was hoping some one on this forum could help me with.

I have been researching my family tree for the past 4 years and I found out that my GGGG grand dad was a Gunsmith in Cannon county Tenn. and did some business in Coffee county.
In my research I found a petition to the   the U.S. for reimbursement for some hogs that where killed by union soldiers.
It was denied dew to the fact that he had made rifles for the CSA !

I would like to know if any of you on this forum has any info on him or sons or his Father or the rifles they made for the CSA!
His name was James L. Cawthron or James L. Cawthan he was in Cannon county Tenn. during the whole of the civil war.

Any info would be nice to help me out with this puzzle.

If I put this in the wrong place I am sorry , but it did seem like a good place to put this post.
Thank you,
SGTCOFFEE

P.S. My cousin in Tenn. says he and his rifles have mention in this book : Confederate Rifles & Muskets
Infantry small Arms
Manufactured 1861-1865
By John M. Murphy and Howard Michael Madaus
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:40:57 AM by SGTCOFFEE »

oakridge

SGTCOFFEE,

According to Murphy and Madaus,s book (which you mentioned), James L Cauthorn & Co. delivered a minimum of 71 rifles under contract to the state of Tennessee between December, 1861 and February, 1862. These were listed as "Harper's Ferry" rifles, with four described as "Miss. Rifles".

James L. Cauthorn appears in 1850 census of manufactures in Tennessee with five employees and an annual product of 80 rifles valued at $1700.00.

James L Cauthorn also appears as a gunsmith in the 1860 census of Cannon County, Tenn.

oakridge

Oops! Sorry. I just realized my response was completely off topic. Has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Just trying to give SGTCOFFEE a little information he requested.