Author Topic: Gun build ideas.  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Rt5403

Gun build ideas.
« on: April 10, 2021, 09:33:22 PM »
So I have done a few easy kits. I've put some new forestocks on some cut down muskets. Now I have ordered a chambers New England fowler kit. I would really like to build one from a blank next. So just day dreaming and looking for ideas on a good easy first scratch build. I've been looking at possibly trade guns but would like a rifle. Been looking at some poor boys, schimmels and such. I like simple stuff any good ideas out there?

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Gun build ideas.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 09:41:44 PM »
I would consider a Hudson Bay trade gun. They are the ultimate survival gun However if you are going to do all that work you might as well make a pre-revolutionary Lancaster.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 12:09:13 AM »
I'll be teaching a build from a blank class at Friendship probably in October. We're building a Dickert.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 02:22:40 AM »
Get one of the “Rifles of Colonial America” by Shumway books, there’s plenty of rifles to choose from, get the blank, and parts and go at it.
Bob

Offline davebozell

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 03:04:43 AM »
Dennis has the hardware and plans for a Gillespie rifle.  That was my first build from a blank.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 03:45:58 AM »
If it was me. I would build a Southern or Tennessee style gun. Nothing fancy just hunting man's gun. Patch box or butt plate are optional...   Oldtravler

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 05:12:52 AM »
Get one of the “Rifles of Colonial America” by Shumway books, there’s plenty of rifles to choose from, get the blank, and parts and go at it.

Mike, what are the dates for the class? Is it full yet?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Ats5331

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 05:51:40 AM »

Mike, what are the dates for the class? Is it full yet?

Second that on Tommy's question, @Mike.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 03:22:55 PM »
 I believe that it’s scheduled for sometime in October. Limited to 5 students. Building from a blank with the barrel already inlet. All gun parts will be included. All hot rod parts too! No junk. Stay tuned!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 05:27:23 PM »
I believe that it’s scheduled for sometime in October. Limited to 5 students. Building from a blank with the barrel already inlet. All gun parts will be included. All hot rod parts too! No junk. Stay tuned!!
What Wayne says. If you want to do this call Lora Parks at the NMLRA office and get signed up pronto. All parts will be provided, everybody is building the same gun. Barrel will be inlet and RR hole drilled, otherwise we're starting with a plank. Swamped GM .58 barrel, DELUXE Siler lock, Davis set triggers, my sand cast brass and curly maple stock. It will be a five day class, don't plan on a finished gun, we will be scheduling continuing class until you are complete. Class will probably fill rapidly as our Kibler kit class, so get your spot reserved..
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?