Author Topic: Kibler .45 cal SMR build(Complete)  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Big Bubba

Kibler .45 cal SMR build(Complete)
« on: April 10, 2021, 11:56:29 PM »

Finished browning the small parts with Homer Dangler"s browning solution. Takes some time and a lot of coats, but i got the dark reddish brown I was looking for. Still have a little to go on the barrel.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 10:32:55 PM by Big Bubba »

Offline Big Bubba

Re: Kibler .45 cal SMR build(Complete)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 10:51:26 PM »

python read geojson
Completed my Kibler SMR today. Jim makes a great kit. Used two coats of Jim's iron nitrate with a coat of Trans-tint amber in between. Then used Jim Chambers Stock finish. The color came out a wonderful rich dark color, as seen in the full view pictures, but when the sunlight hits it the curl stands out.

Online Daniel Coats

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 11:03:10 PM »
Dang that turned out nice!
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 11:06:36 PM »
Nice color on the stock.  Should make a nice handling Rifle.
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 11:12:15 PM »
Got yourself a fine looking rifle.  Nicely done Sir.  Really like thta piece of maple and the color it turned out.

Thanks for sharing the pics,
Ken 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Stillwater Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 12:37:11 AM »
Now that's one nice rifle , you did a great job . I've been wanting to get my hand's on one of Jim's SMR's in .45 myself .

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 01:22:25 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. Can't wait to shoot it. :)

Online Spalding

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 01:30:51 AM »
Wow that’s perty. I’ve finished assembling mine and have started sanding and metal finishing. It’s a fantastic kit for learning the basics.

Bob

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 02:16:26 AM »
Well that was quick! Great work and congratulations on a beautiful rifle!

Online Jimclassjr

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 02:16:43 AM »
Beautiful job! Turned out great 👍 Love the wood!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 05:29:00 AM »
  Excellent work an I really like the color... They are great shooters too...!  Oldtravler

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 06:46:59 PM »
Well that was quick! Great work and congratulations on a beautiful rifle!
It sure was a quick assembly, how many days from when you got the kit till you had it done? Nice looking rifle BTW.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:31:34 PM by smylee grouch »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 08:28:13 PM »
Your rifle is very nicely finished.  I'm impressed by your browning job too...well done.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 09:45:18 PM »
Looking GREAT!!!!!!!!!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 09:46:14 PM »
Thanks all! Had everything fit and assembled in a day in half. Spent about a day total (over a three day period) sanding. Then about a week putting on finish and browning parts, which most of that time was waiting for the stock to dry and watching my barrel rust. I actually tried to slow down a few times and take some breaks, because it was coming together so fast. Half the fun is in building it and I wasn't ready for it to end. Jim Kibler has created a great fitting kit. Besides the finish probably spent the most time on the but plate. Used inletting black and trimming a little at a time to get a good fit.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 09:49:33 PM »
Big, you have done some really excellent work.  And YES, Jim Kibler has generated a fantastic kit, but it is you that has put it all together and added your personal touch, especially the finish on both wood and metal.

It is rare to see the steel parts so well done.  Believe you have knocked it out of the park on that one!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 09:51:35 PM »
That's interesting.  My Kibler kit assembled without having to touch the buttplate inlet at all.  Simply screwed it down and dressed off the heads of the screws.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 10:18:31 PM »
Really nice, beautiful wood.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 10:24:59 PM »
Buttplates are a frustration for me.  With castings, they naturally vary.  The biggest frustration is that they are bent coming from the foundry.  I personally straighten every buttplate.  So if one doesn't fit, you know who to blame!  Anyways...  we try to get them as straight as possible, but it's difficult to get them good enough that they fit a cnc cut stock inlet well. 

I've contemplated various solutions, but none are easy.  One idea I had is to make a handful of steel forms shaped like the buttplate cut-out of the stock.  Each buttplate could be clamped to a form and then heated to allow the stresses to relax and then fit.  This would be a lot of work, however.  Another idea is to make a die where a heated buttplate could be inserted and the die closed on it.  This would be faster, but the die would be pretty tricky to make well.  Nothing is easy!

Offline Kmcmichael

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 11:52:14 PM »
Looks great. Mine is on the way.

Offline Big Bubba

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 06:37:32 AM »
Buttplates are a frustration for me.  With castings, they naturally vary.  The biggest frustration is that they are bent coming from the foundry.  I personally straighten every buttplate.  So if one doesn't fit, you know who to blame!  Anyways...  we try to get them as straight as possible, but it's difficult to get them good enough that they fit a cnc cut stock inlet well. 

I've contemplated various solutions, but none are easy.  One idea I had is to make a handful of steel forms shaped like the buttplate cut-out of the stock.  Each buttplate could be clamped to a form and then heated to allow the stresses to relax and then fit.  This would be a lot of work, however.  Another idea is to make a die where a heated buttplate could be inserted and the die closed on it.  This would be faster, but the die would be pretty tricky to make well.  Nothing is easy!

The butt plate was not bent that I could see and only did some minor filing on the back and shaving with the chisel on the front of the stock.  I just kept checking it multiple times until it was perfect. It may be the fact I filed off the casting surface on the inside edges. I did not even try it on prior to that.