Author Topic: sear question  (Read 685 times)

Offline bob in the woods

sear question
« on: April 13, 2021, 09:02:08 PM »
This is something I've often wondered about. Why do the locks have such long sear arms , with the resulting stock excavation required. This must weaken the stock in a critical area. Based on the trigger engagement location, the length isn't really necessary . 

Offline T*O*F

Re: sear question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 09:08:47 PM »
Why do the locks have such long sear arms
So you can cut them off where you need them.  Slim barrels require short arms, while large barrels require longer ones because the lock panels are wider.  Do you want your trigger in the center of the stock or offset?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 09:10:57 PM »
Bob:  the sear arms are left long, I think, to allow you to use the lock on very thick planks if that is what the rifle calls for.  My experience so far is that they are too long, and require shortening.  I measure from the lock plate to the centre of the stock across the trigger area, and grind off the sear arm so it just passes half way.  One thing I hate is to have to increase the depth of the sear arm's hole with chisels.  It is so easy to muck up the lock plate inlet in that area, attempting this.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 09:39:35 PM »
The reason I asked is because it is my experience that most installed locks are left as is.
I cut /trim mine , precisely because I don't like excavating more than necessary.  I'm glad to see that I'm not alone

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 10:36:17 PM »
Even the best inletting found in high end English rifles is a weakening of the stock and most
long rifles of old have little or no sophisticated inletting and can be considered as weak.
I recall making comments about inletting being done with a shingle hatchet and a colony of
termites ;D.The dedicated inletting seen on the best English guns to me is a marvelous thing
and I would like to see it being done and with what kind of tools.
Bob Roller