Author Topic: SMR L.F. Legg  (Read 1476 times)

Offline 1sogdusm

SMR L.F. Legg
« on: April 24, 2021, 07:05:38 PM »
I recently ran across this SMR near Chattanooga.  The rifle is signed L.F. Legg and has characteristics of an upper East  Tennessee rifle.  The only reference I have found so far is a L. F. Legg that died in 1912 in Hamilton county, lots of Leggs in the Soddy Daisy area of Hamilton and his age would work for that period and school but I don’t see typical Soddy traits.  Anyone have any ideas on this one.  It was a full stock, 42” barrel, one very odd feature is the muzzle is back bored several inches to a much larger size and the .32 rifling starts where the back bore stops. It looks like a 12 gauge hole of you just glance at the muzzle?  I have not found any reference to L. F. Legg as a builder in Tennessee. 

Offline 1sogdusm

Re: SMR L.F. Legg
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 08:05:38 PM »
Leonard Franklin Legg was born in Fannin Co. Georgia in 1856. In 1910 he appears on census in Chattanooga, Hamilton Co. Tennessee as a carpenter.  The area of Fannin Co. where Legg lived is located very close to the N.C., GA. TN. border. I cannot confirm this is the same person but have been unable to locate any others with same initials in TN or GA. 

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 12:44:46 AM »
 :o :o.... A GOOD ONE,  Jim,... !!!! .... if you go back to a post here of January 30, 2021, in a topic started by Longknife entitled  "Southern Rifle, Unknown Maker" .... you will see this gun's sister,... same initials, followed by a date of 1886 on the barrel,.. he found it up in Monroe Co. TN and it has same features as yours,... I recollect this one because of the association with Sam Burchfield of Cades Cove,.... hope this draws a lot of discussion,... interesting rifle,...

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 12:49:11 AM »
 8) 8)... both rifles have the same profile, wonky trigger-guard, and S.E. TN / Ga mountain wonky cheek-rest,... however, we have always assumed the letters were L F *LECC,... !!! ... thanx for posting,... bring her up to Knoxville,.... Regards,... CCF

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 05:11:40 AM »
I will drag her along, I’m glad this is all adding up. Looks like several of the Legg family members  ended up in Chattanooga. Happy to hear he has more work out there. I really wish Wayne could be here to see this one, it would have been right up his alley!

Online Longknife

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 03:48:16 PM »
Jim.  GOOD FIND! There is no doubt in my mind that you have I'D'd an unknown maker< My LEGG still looks like LECC but that trigger guard is unique...Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 12:42:27 AM »
Looking back at some research on the Legg rifles I think I have found the Monroe County Tennessee connection. L.F. Legg had a daughter Alice that was born in 1876 in Morgantown, Georgia. Alice married and moved to Monroe county in the area of Sweetwater, Tennessee. 

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 06:01:04 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D... Good to see your post Jim,.. glad to know you are still around and doing research,... I knew there must be a connection between those rifles,... !!! ... do post or comment more often,... regards ,,, CCF