Author Topic: ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS MAKER  (Read 2609 times)

Offline George Sutton

ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS MAKER
« on: May 10, 2021, 09:20:10 PM »
I recently purchased this rifle and don't know if the nameplate represents the maker or the original owner. The gun has a lot of Pittsburgh  influence but was purchased in Maine. I don't believe it's a recent build. No marks on the barrel or elsewhere. Any help will be appreciated.
GS

json val

Offline Stoner creek

Re: ANYONE RECOGNIZE THIS MAKER
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 09:23:47 PM »
I’m not familiar with the maker but the style and engraving sure looks like a Johnson City Tennessee gun. It’s obviously contemporary. Maybe Randal Pierce will know.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 12:04:14 AM »
I’m not familiar with the maker but the style and engraving sure looks like a Johnson City Tennessee gun. It’s obviously contemporary. Maybe Randal Pierce will know.
Looks like a Johnson City gun for sure.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 06:19:24 PM »
I owned one of the Johnson City guns at one time and the recipient's name was engraved in the silver oval on the barrel.  The makers name was engraved on one of the side flats.  I discussed this with Stoner at the Knoxville Show.  James Levy
James Levy

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 07:18:30 PM »
I’m no handwriting expert but I see some similarities to this Lester Smith signature. If Lester made your gun, that would impact its value in a good way. I would try to find his name on the barrel somewhere. Smith died in 1970 so your hunch about its not being recent is very likely.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 10:04:37 PM by Stoner creek »
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Ray Nelson

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 08:15:32 PM »
I don't know if relation or not but there was a ML Gunsmith Fred Flowers from Belpre, Ohio who made fine slim fullstock rifles for sure during the 70's. He displayed at shows in Washington County Ohio with the likes of Cecil Brooks, Warren Offenberger, Elmer Templeton, Forest Tilton and Bill Reynolds if any of those names also ring a bell in any ones memory. Silver furniture guns were popular then it seemed.

Ray

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 10:31:10 PM »
Consulting my own feeble memory I remember Cecil Brooks and I think
he made presentation rifles for the NRA's presidents.
Bob Roller

Offline Ray Nelson

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 08:48:00 PM »
Bob,

Your memory is correct...Cecil Brooks did do that for many years.

Ray

Offline acorn20

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 11:26:09 PM »
I believe Stoner could be correct.  The capital S, t & e in Steve Flowers certainly look like those in Lester Smith.
Dan Akers

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 01:47:09 PM »
Thanks for your input Gentlemen.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 07:44:29 PM »
Some builders who have not yet mastered engraving will hire it out, including their signature.  Potentially was built by Steve Flowers, and engraved, and name signed by another (Lester Smith perhaps).  Especially if you see no other signatures on the underside of the barrel. 

97% of builders who are signing a gun do so on the top flat, between the rear sight and tang, where this particular signature is.  Once in a great while, the owners name is here (as in the case of a gift rifle), and the builder signs it on the bottom of the barrel, in the same area.