Author Topic: The name G. Meza and it's relevance on Liege/Utrecht guns  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
The name G. Meza and it's relevance on Liege/Utrecht guns
« on: June 01, 2021, 03:09:48 PM »
You people tire me. Tell somebody something they don't want to hear and they blow a gasket. ;D So, please read this info, it's very important for European gun collectors.
 The name G. Meza on that lock means absolutely nothing. It's just like the name MANTON on a shotgun. Most MANTON marked shotguns were made in Belgium or Birmingham and never saw the inside of Manton's shop. It's a sales gimmick for those that don't know any better. The spurious name practice obviously still sucks in the unaware......same as it ever was..... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JV Puleo

Re: The name G. Meza and it's relevance on Liege/Utrecht guns
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 04:05:55 PM »
I confess that I didn't know that and it's a very worthwhile piece of information. It does make sense...using the name of a long dead respected maker. I had the same reaction when I told someone that their "Twigg" pistol (with post-1813 B'ham proofs) couldn't be a Twigg if only because he'd been dead about 20 years when it was made.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 01:41:48 AM »
Did I miss something?  I can't believe I missed a blown gasket.  :o
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 01:58:20 AM »
Is this like all the "Cominazzo" guns?
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 03:30:27 PM »
Is this like all the "Cominazzo" guns?
Yep.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 06:21:19 AM »
"Andrea Ferara" on Scottish swords too...

You've gone and reminded me of an article submission we got years ago. The author had "discovered" a fantastic 17th Century gunmaker that has gone totally unrecognized ... by the name of "Fecit".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 06:26:52 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 05:05:15 PM »
"Andrea Ferara" on Scottish swords too...

You've gone and reminded me of an article submission we got years ago. The author had "discovered" a fantastic 17th Century gunmaker that has gone totally unrecognized ... by the name of "Fecit".

;D
Ah, old Fecit was quite prolific