Author Topic: June Smoothbore Match  (Read 2903 times)

Offline alacran

June Smoothbore Match
« on: June 02, 2021, 02:24:07 PM »
Well I don't know how many of you shot Bob's match last month since  not many posted targets.
 For June in deference to Daryl, we will be shooting at 25 yards. The target will be the same as Mays match, target #10142 from the Targetz.com site. It will be open to any smoothbore. Only stipulation is you must indicate whether yours is sighted or not, and what kind of sight, open or peep. I am curious to see what kind of accuracy is achieved by the sighted guns vs the non sighted guns.
I will announce a prize shortly.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

Re: June Smoothbore Match
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 06:44:51 PM »
Great!!
I still have some .595's in the can.
I will have to cast up some .682's for MM's rifle targets.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Maven

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 07:44:08 PM »
I think my ribcage has healed enough to allow me to participate in this match.  I already printed [out] some targets, have enough RB's, and most of the month left to come up with all kinds of excuses.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 07:12:37 PM »
Sounds great Paul. Glad you are on the MEND.
Daryl

Offline Maven

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 07:18:38 PM »
Thanks, Daryl! :)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 11:05:04 PM »
Great!!
I still have some .595's in the can.
I will have to cast up some .682's for MM's rifle targets.
Daryl, are you using .595's in your 20 bore ?     I've seen more variance re the bores of 20's than any other size smoothbore, so just wondered. I'm shooting .600's or .610's depending on the load

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 07:38:42 PM »
Yes - these last ones I'm shooting are from a Lyman mould(Taylor's). That Lyman mould turns them out at .5965"x.597".
I have a Tanner .595" mould that turns them out without any sprue (once cut with wire strippers) and true .595"x.595".
My 20 bore's muzzle is perfectly round and .621" and is choked to about IMP cylinder. so the bore itself must be oversized and around .625" to .627".
Patches I use are 10 ounce denim at .021". Loading is easy - shot started and once in the bore, slide down with 2 fingers on the rod. I believe there
is some obturation of the ball. Currently using 85gr. 2F GOEX.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:42:01 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline mwal

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 09:42:40 PM »
Offhand or rest?

Mwal

Offline elkhart

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 10:37:55 PM »
How many shots?

Offline PK

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 12:57:01 AM »
Well I don't know how many of you shot Bob's match last month since  not many posted targets.
 For June in deference to Daryl, we will be shooting at 25 yards. The target will be the same as Mays match, target #10142 from the Targetz.com site. It will be open to any smoothbore. Only stipulation is you must indicate whether yours is sighted or not, and what kind of sight, open or peep. I am curious to see what kind of accuracy is achieved by the sighted guns vs the non sighted guns.
I will announce a prize shortly.

I haven’t shot in these matches before. Can I enter a target as a newbie to the match and do I just post a picture of it on this thread?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 02:43:52 AM »
Yes - if same as last month - offhand or standing, unsupported I expect.

For clarity sake, some guys hold all of their guns with both hands close, one close to or under the lock and body-rest their front arm's elbow,
either on on their ribs, or on a hip if they have a short torso.  Even though technically that is a body support, it is usually allowed in offhand/
standing matches. By unsupported, we are referring to resting on or against an object, with the hand or gun.
Here is an image of our long time, now departed friend Leatherbelly, using almost a body-rest, standing position, but not quite.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:49:50 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
Daryl

Offline alacran

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2021, 11:24:22 AM »
Sorry I had not responded sooner. Have been on the road.
Any one who is an ALR member may shoot this match.
Post results on the thread.
Of course this is an unsupported standing match.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Maven

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 09:53:13 PM »
Here are my entries for the match.  For the patched RB's (.598", Lee mould + .014" patch), I used 70gr. Graf's (Goex) BP.  For the tow wads, I used 80gr. FFg and hand rolled tow wads fore & aft.  Also, in spite of the heat and humidity, I had no trouble with hang fires with my GRF trade gun, but I had to wipe the flint, fizzes, and pan diligently after each shot to avoid that problem.

Paul W. Brasky

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 03:19:19 PM »
Maven....did you have sights or No sights ..the OP wants to know. Nice Shootn !

Offline Maven

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »
No rear sight, which I really like.  Thanks for the complement!
Paul W. Brasky

Offline alacran

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 02:45:13 PM »
Good shooting Maven. You managed to get all five balls in the target on the third one. However your second target scores higher with a 16.
A reminder the scoring is as follows; center is 5 points, next ring is 4 points, next is 3 points, and outer ring is 2 points. Any where on the paper is one point.
As this is only 25 yards only five shots per target. Have fun

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 02:57:53 PM »
I'm planning on investing a 1/2 lb of lead and give the new 10 bore an airing  ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 07:33:20 PM »
That's only 6 shots, Bob.
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 11:18:51 PM »
 :-[
That's only 6 shots, Bob.
:-[
I should know better !     What the heck.  I guess I'll go a pound +  !  ;D

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 05:09:03 AM »
Here's my first entry and also some of the first shots with the new 10 bore.  I love this gun !
For what it is worth [ perhaps not much !   ;D  ]     I find that the larger bores seem to be far more forgiving re loads that shoot well.  This is 5 shots, off hand at 25 yards,
New England fowling gun, 46 in barrel, Chambers early ketland lock.  100 gr FFg, lubed felt wad, .735 ball, lubed felt wad.   I'm still playing with loads but this shows promise. The first shot was low, after which I adjusted my sight picture.

No rear sight. Front sight is a bayonet lug
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 03:03:55 PM by bob in the woods »

Offline alacran

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 05:10:52 PM »
Prize for June's Smoothbore match is going to be a tin with a divider for holding shot cards.
I make these from Sucrets tins.
I first stick them in a fire, till all the paint is burned off. Then I take the lid off and hammer the inside of the lid placed on a lead ingot. I do my best toheep the preening within the moulding.
I make these for all sorts of things.
For shot cards I place a divider, and solder it to the tin.
As you can see they will hold a lot of cards. The one pictured has 14 of each of the cards. By the way that is what I use with shot. The one of the right is the one the winner will get.

Offline mwal

• Starting Member
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 05:36:46 AM »
My entry
Smoothbore .62 44inch barrel 
610 bare ball tow wadding. 80 gr ffg
Rear sight.

Offline Badenpowell

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 06:02:30 PM »
Some good shooting here, and some very good sports, too.

Offline alacran

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2021, 01:23:22 PM »
I went out and shot my smoothbore yesterday, because I wanted to do an experiment. Frankly I was expecting much tighter groups at 25 yards with this target.
I shot this months target at 25 yards. Mind you my target does not count for this match.

Nothing to right home about, my first two shots were on the right outer line and the next three shots I held off on the left side of the center part of the target. I was shooting a .600 ball with Jo Ann's pocket drill lubed with bear oil, over 70 grains of Goex 2f.
Five minutes later I posted an eight ring 100 yard NMLRA rifle target on the same target board at the same distance the light and wind were pretty much the same. I aimed at center of the black and shot all three shots without compensating for being a bit to the right. Same load as before

I wonder how much the alternating black and white rings affect the ability to hold on the same spot on every shot. The hundred yard target is about an inch and 1/4 smaller than this months target. Maybe it being smaller and all black makes consistent aiming easier.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2021, 02:59:27 PM »
I think you are correct about the smaller, solid black aiming point.  Target configurations can affect shooting results IMO