Author Topic: New Pouch Just Finished  (Read 8072 times)

Jefferson58

New Pouch Just Finished
« on: September 14, 2009, 06:57:24 PM »
Hi Folks:

I just completed this pouch for a customer, and thought I would put it out here to see what you guys think.

This is based on an original pouch from Covington, VA that I examined earlier this year. The original had a "hair-on-hide" flap, but we decided to do something a little different. This is 1" larger than the original, measuring 9" wide by 8" deep. It is made from 3-4oz., veg. tan bison which gives it a nice texture and soft feel. The dye/coloring  is a 2 step process of vinegar/rusty nails and then my own blend(s) of Fiebings. Antiquing was added after completion.

The flap is lined with ticking, but the pouch body is not lined. There is a large, interior hanging pocket. The gusset is much longer than the original, but provides a ton of capacity. The strap is 1.5" wide with a forged buckle. I think this would make a nice fowler pouch too.

As usual, all comments are welcome. I always appreciate good feedback.

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: New Pouch Just Finished
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
 Good lookin' bag Jeff, nice work.  What would be the earliest a bag like that might have been used and did they come from a certain region? Given that they could have been carried a long way and lasted many years. Thanks for the pics.

Tim C.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:09:39 PM »
Very well made and designed bag.  It's just the size I like. 
And very nice leather.  Well done.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

eseabee1

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 08:50:53 PM »
Very nice

Jefferson58

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 10:13:15 PM »
Thanks guys.

Tim, I am fairly certain the original is a mid to late 1800's pouch. The sewing on it was by hand (and well done) but fancy details like the folded binding were not really common, to my knowledge, in the 1700's. Of course we don't have too many 1700's specimens to examine either, which is a shame.

I would say you can go back to the mid, early 1800's with this without too much problem. 1820's, 1830's perhaps. My best guess anyway. Some of the real scholars out there can probably pinpoint certain features better than I can. The important thing to me was that the original was from the Covington, VA area.

Jeff

Offline TPH

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 11:16:28 PM »
I'm not a scholar, but it's always good to see something like that come out of my hometown. I would say that it could date as early as 1830, maybe a few years before that. Very nice work Jeff, thanks for showing it to us. :)
T.P. Hern

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 11:41:01 PM »
 Thanks for the reply. Always curious as to time frames.

Tim C. 

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 12:42:47 AM »
Very nice work Jeff...it really looks terrific.
TCA
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 01:31:47 AM »
Another nice pouch Jeff. Where do you get your leather from?

seesbirds

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 01:45:52 AM »
Nice work as always Jeff.  I particularly like how you aged the ticking.  Did you soak it in coffee or is that a trade secret?  ;)

Offline Joey R

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 05:07:41 AM »
The texture and patina just oozes from this bag. Very nice bag and very well done!
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Jefferson58

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 01:23:45 PM »
Thanks folks.  I appreciate it. Sometimes when you make something, it is hard to be objective about it when you have been standing there looking at it so long.

To answer the questions:

The leather for this came from www.theleatherguy.org. They often have some nice stuff and are usually pretty reasonable on pricing. I also buy a lot from Siegel of California, and some from Kentucky Leather and Hide.

The aging on the inside flap lining is a combination of real dirt and then some Meltonian shoe creme in a couple of different colors. It was applied very sparingly to get the effect I wanted.

Jeff

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 12:22:45 AM »
Geeez, take some time away and look at all the candy  ;D.  Jeff, another very nice bag that looks like its been in use for awhile.  Great job again.  I like your comments regarding the timeframes and it's too bad we don't have examples much from the mid to late 1700s to see. 
Yes, I've done pretty good using Theleatherguy also.  Decent prices and has a good variety to pick from. 
Gary
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 01:20:54 AM »
Super shot bag Jeff! Seeing your work first hand today has inspired me to pull out the leather tools again!
James

smorrison

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 05:16:09 AM »
Another nice bag Jeff.  Great job!

Scott M

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 06:06:02 AM »
Hey Jeff......I like it !  The bag it's self looks alot like the one on the dust cover and page 41 of "The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch" by Madison Grant. The one in the photo is a little smaller and is attributed to Rockingham County, Virginia, circa 1830-40. As usual, another nice pouch.........Frank

Randy1944

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 02:06:22 AM »
That is a mighty good looking bag.  Where would I go to find a bag such as this, that would be for sale?  I have an old Hawken style rifle that needs a good pouch as a partner, in the worst way.  Thanks for sharing the pictures and the information.    Randy1944

Offline Rick Sheets

• HCH Master Horner and Web Guy
    • Proud Journeyman Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 06:27:43 PM »
Hey Randy,
You can contact Jeff Bibb through his website.
www.jeffbibbpouchesandhorns.com

Regards,
Rick Sheets
Proud Master Horner with the Honourable Company of Horners
     http://www.hornguild.org
My personal website:
     http://patriothorns.com
Like me on facebook:
     http://www.facebook.com/patriothorns