Author Topic: August smoothbore match  (Read 2306 times)

Offline alacran

August smoothbore match
« on: August 02, 2021, 02:35:48 PM »
Ok it is August and it is hot and muggy in a good section of the continent, That is if you are not on fire.
I have a suspicion that more people are shooting these targets than those that are being posted. I don't have a problem with that.
That being said it doesn't take long to shoot one of these targets and most of the time I shoot them at the end of a club shoot. Club members ask me what I'm doing and it gives me a chance to tell them about ALR.
For August the smoothbore target will be target 10094 from Targetz.com. It is a plain black 7 and 1/2 inch circle. It is on page 7.
It is to be shot at 50 yards offhand.
5 shots with any flintlock smoothbore.
The scoring will be smallest group wins. Location of group is unimportant. Balls outside of the black will count as long as at least half the ball is on the paper.
The groups will be measured from the center of the ball.
A prize will be announced as soon as five different shooters post targets. That will be the prize threshold.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline bob in the woods

Re: August smoothbore match
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »
Wow !    Group size , located anywhere on the paper. That is a great idea for a match.  I'm really looking forward to seeing some targets .
Thanks for doing this  :)

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 01:44:56 AM »
Went to the range this morning ,will freshly printed targets…But a Half dozen club members and Back hoe were repairing the 150 yard Gong targets…some vandals messed it all up….So no shooting today

Offline mwal

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 04:13:32 AM »
I will Print off some and make an entry.

Mwal

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 01:06:57 PM »
I am happy this is generating some interest. I will probably shoot a few for fun. If you can keep a group any where on the paper. You will have a killing machine in your hands. If you can keep the groups in the black, it will be a great confidence builder for hunting season.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline J Henry

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 02:27:07 PM »
  Change the Bulls Eye to white !! much easier to see the dark sights on the bull.

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 03:25:10 PM »
I would suggest you paint your front sight white. Most smoothies sport silver or brass front sights.
Specially if they are configured as fowlers. In hunting situations game appears quite dark in early hours as well as at dusk. In heavy timber where a smoothbore is most advantageous,a white front sight reflects all light and is easily seen.
If you want to place a white spotter on your target. Go ahead.  However I doubt you will find game so adorned. Remember we are shooting for groups.

Online Maven

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 09:03:36 PM »
I printed my targets earlier today intending to shoot this afternoon, but wouldn't you know it, after setting up my bench and target I couldn't find my patches and RB's. :-[  I haven't done that for a while, but I did locate them and made sure to put them with my smoothie.  Perhaps I'll get out tomorrow, but I have to say the wheels really come off the wagon with my GRF trade gun beyond 30 yds. (no rear sight, which I have really come to like).
Paul W. Brasky

Online Maven

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 10:17:27 PM »
Got to the range today (and even remembered my patches and RB's!) for the August SB match.  Here are the particulars:  I used a GRF 20ga .FL trade gun (no rear sight) with .598" RB's cast from a Lee Precision mould + .018" pillow ticking + a thin over powder wad.Powder charges were 70-, 80-, and 90gr. Graf's (Goex) FFg.  Patch lube was 1 Ballistol : 6 water.  The target with the 70gr. charge is OK, but 1 shot is nearly off the paper.  With 80gr., all but 1 were off the paper in ~4" x 4" group @ ~8 o'clock.  However the real surprise was the 90gr. group, which is the best I've done with that patched RB combination in that gun.

Paul W. Brasky

Offline alacran

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 05:10:46 AM »
Glad to see some targets shot. The gun is trying to tell you something. Either it likes 90 grains best, or maybe it isn't thrilled with patch lube combo.
That is a good group with the 90 grains. Tells me the gun likes more pressure. Pressure equals more velocity. You can increase pressure by going to heavier patching or going to a heavier over powder card. might get same results with less powder.  Good shooting!

Offline PK

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 05:24:33 PM »
Shot a couple targets today. Used a NW Trade gun, .62 smoothbore, no rear sight. Haven’t shot this gun in a long time but I think I’ll give it more use.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 10:55:15 PM »

Got to the range this afternoon….Hot and Humid…and sweat  running in my eyes aftah 15 shots..not fun. I was “Rear Sight Shamed “ last week at the range by another Smoothbore shooter. So I removed my sight and shot this today. Think I do better without it…lol . 90 FF Goex...015 patch w/ mink oil, 4fff in the pan, .600 ball. Tulle de Chasse, 42 inch Getz barrel, worked L&R lock.

Offline alacran

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2021, 01:43:27 PM »
Glad to see all these targets. I wasn't sure if there would be much interest.
Please score your targets. Just measure from center to center of your two most outboard balls. You only need to score your best target, but score them all if you wish.
Fine shooting Gentlemen!

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2021, 05:39:57 PM »

I’ve got 6 3/16 inches from center to center

Online Maven

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2021, 05:57:56 PM »
6 3/4" center to center for the 70gr. load; 3 7/16" for the 90gr. load.  I'm not including the 80gr. load because 4 shots were entirely off the target.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline PK

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2021, 09:42:46 PM »
My target with all 5 shots in the black measures 6 1/2 inches.

Offline alacran

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 01:02:12 PM »
PK, we are shooting for group. The group that did not have all
the balls in the black, is your better group and that is the one you should count.
Maven I just realized your target is printed smaller than everyone else's targets. The diameter of the black should be 8 inches according to the Targetz website. Mine come out at 7 and 1/2. Your target is way smaller, which makes your shooting more impressive. We are still only shooting for group, regardless of the size of the black. Interested to see how you would do on the bigger black. Actually I'm having fun looking at everyone's effort.

Online Maven

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2021, 03:35:16 PM »
I printed the targets directly from the screen, but didn't realize it was markedly smaller until after I'd shot them.  (They weren't difficult to see.)  However, even with a larger target, I don't think I'd have done much better with the 70- and 80gr. loads.  I'm overjoyed with the 90gr. result though, but I attribute it to luck more than skill:  As I wrote earlier, that's the best I've ever done with that particular PRB combination in that gun.  And thanks for the compliment!
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2021, 08:15:41 AM »
Kind been at the lake most of the summer. Nice to see the participation.
Well done, lads. ;D ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 05:06:29 AM »
Between the humid Heat…and the rain…I haven’t been back to the range .

Offline Denny

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 04:03:58 AM »
I finally  made it to the range this evening. I shot three targets, a 6 1/2", a 6 1/4" and this is the best with a 6" group to the right of center. This is with "Old Turkey Feathers," a Northwest trade gun with a .628 bore, loaded with a .610 round ball @ 340.0 gr, a light charge of 3Fg Goex, wadded with thin-bladed grass, offhand @ 50 yards with no rear sight. Please keep the match going, because this is fun and it forces me to set time aside to shoot.

Be safe and may God bless you all,
Denny

Offline alacran

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2021, 02:36:09 PM »
Thanks to all who participated in this match. We had a total of four contestants.
Maven had the best target with an impressive 3 and 7/16th" group, Congratulations!
It will be up to Maven if we have a September shoot. If he does I will participate.
Good shooting!!

Online Maven

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2021, 05:24:33 PM »
All, Although I dearly love participating in off hand matches, my lower back most certainly does not.  Ergo, I must respectfully and sorrowfully withdraw from them. :(
Paul W. Brasky

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2021, 07:49:18 PM »
Congrats Maven...really nice shooting!
Your match for September doesn't have to be offhand...it's entirely up to you.  You could do X sticks, bench rest, or anything in-between.  It's time for Daryl and I to get shooting again.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2021, 10:19:57 PM »
Great shootn Maven ! Looking forward to some cooler temps.