Author Topic: Bullet Mold  (Read 1126 times)

Offline gibster

Bullet Mold
« on: August 21, 2021, 04:37:44 PM »
Had a friend give me a couple bullet molds the other day and found this one to be interesting.  It's a short little bugger, only 3 1/8th inches long for the longest portion.  It mic's to about .371, so for what I would think is a .38 caliber.  The interesting part, at least to me is that it was also made for knapping flints to keep them sharp. The long handle has the end flattened for knapping (or tamping tobacco in a pipe, users choice) and the short handle is made for what looks to be chipping off small shards as well.  First one that I have seen made like this.  Figured this was something different to look at and discuss.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Bullet Mold
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 08:32:05 PM »
This mold may have accompanied, or been made for a small pocket gun commonly found in England. I have one with a worm on the end so they seem to sometimes have had multi use features. The flattened end (long handle) on yours may have also served as a ram rod to tamp down the load in the barrel, since those little guns did not have long barrels. This, in addition to use in a pipe. The knapping feature is a new one to me. Fun little mold; thank you posting it.
Dick 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 10:45:05 PM »
 Must have had a heck of a grip to pop the spur off with short grips like that. Pretty neat,  Good Friend there.

Tim

Offline JBJ

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 06:34:56 PM »
And hands coated with asbestos to cast bullets!
J.B.