Author Topic: Gourd Horn Powder Horn?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline vtbuck223

Gourd Horn Powder Horn?
« on: September 08, 2021, 07:54:12 PM »
I recently came across this horn/gourd combo powder horn? As I approached from a distance I was not thinking North American…but the only refence I can find to it suggests that it is. The Royal Collection Trust UK has one identical in form and construction…which it identifies as having been received by Prince Albert Edward from the Mississauga Indians during his tour of Canada in 1860. (I will include a link below.) The area of the Mississauga is just on the other side of Niagara Falls…so not all that far from where I found it. The two pieces so closely resemble each other that it would not surprise me if the same person made both. It would be quite large for a powder horn…especially with the expanded area of the gourd…so if they are truly powder horns…I would think not something you would carry on a daily basis. It does appear to have some possible powder staining in the threaded tip and interior of the horn. Has anyone else seen anything like this? How come there are so few examples out there? Does the Royal Collection Trust have it misidentified? Anyway...kind of interesting...thought folks might like to see it.

https://www.rct.uk/collection/84280/powder-horn

Offline Frank Barker

Re: Gourd Horn Powder Horn?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:25:45 AM »
WOW ! Now that's the first time I have seen this combination... ::)
Kind Regards

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 06:36:58 PM »
 Is the tip of your also threaded? Looks like it but I can't be sure.

Tim C.

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 12:01:24 AM »
Is the tip of your also threaded? Looks like it but I can't be sure.

Tim C.

Yes...it is