Author Topic: Wythe County  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Jacob_S_P

Wythe County
« on: September 26, 2021, 03:34:22 AM »
Original Iron Shaffer, an original bag and horn modeled by a 13 year old 5th GGson of Jacob in the new Gunmaking Shop at the Homestead, he was dressed as the apprentice.

Offline Daryl

Re: Wythe County
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 08:27:43 AM »
Cool! Neat rifle - clothes too clean.
ahhh- the rod's too long.
 ;D
good stuff
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »
Let's hear more about the Gunmaking shop at the Homestead. Sounds interesting I had ancestors in that area in the 18th century. A couple were gunmakers.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 03:49:42 PM »
Is this the Wytheville, VA area?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 03:57:26 PM »
The Homestead is in Bath County VA pretty good ways from Wythe County.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 04:12:55 PM »
Wythe county Virginia I assume?
My dads people were from that area too.
Where is this Homestead?
Thanks. Dave  8) 8)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 08:24:56 PM »
Wythe county Virginia I assume?
My dads people were from that area too.
Where is this Homestead?
Thanks. Dave  8) 8)
7696 Sam Snead Hwy, Hot Springs, Bath County, VA 24445

Offline Jacob_S_P

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 08:57:30 PM »
This is actually a new attraction (of sorts) in the town of Wytheville, the seat of Wythe County. This was it's first flight as an open event. So far some stuff has occurred there but this was the first time the rifle making shop was a part of it.
I put out a display of original tools, parts and pieces and had the rifle pictured there for display and discussion. We (one of my Sons and I)  worked on in letting a lock plate into a cherry stocked Wythe Co repro I have been playing with. Talked to quite a few folks from as far away as Kansas and had a good day overall. Much more to add to this venture.

Offline heinz

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 10:26:08 PM »
Daryl, that rod is pretty typical for an SMR photo.  Maybe they pulled out their special long rods for photographs.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Molly

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 11:33:07 PM »
Are we talking THE HOMESTEAD?
OR
Someplace in Wythe County/Wytheville??

Offline Jacob_S_P

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 12:20:19 AM »
It is the Wythe County Homestead in Wytheville - it is new.

The rod on the rifle may not be the original, but it is old and possibly as old as the rifle, which is an 1830/40 originally percussion, made in Wythe Co.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 03:42:22 AM »
What a great photo!!! Thank you for posting it. I hope that the young man is in training on how to build MT rifles, since he will come by it naturally. Nice to have a forebear who was engaged in the craft. Oh just one thing; what is a Mt rifle without the proper extra long ramrod? These are not those sometimes prissy PA rifles after all.
Dick

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 03:49:24 AM »
Amen, Dick, Amen. Thank you for the clarification. Best response I have heard. Dave 8) 8)

Offline Jacob_S_P

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 04:13:32 AM »
Jacob Shaffer made a host of styles, he did not limit himself in any manner. Some of the 'budget rifles' like this one are still superbly built albeit rather simple. This one was shot well past 1900 as the tang was lengthened so a rear target sight could be added to go with a front sight which was dovetailed in front of the original front sight - that tells us it shot well enough that someone took the time to keep running for a while.
The stock was profiled and the stepped wrist removed (I believe) about the time the sights were added

The son pictured with the rifle does have some inclination to build rifles, I am educating him with what I know and we will progress together.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 07:17:51 AM »
I would be interested in seeing some pictures of your iron mounted Shaffer rifle. If you would kindly post some.

Offline MGillman

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 09:03:04 PM »
I can provide some elaboration on the Homestead in Wytheville. I am the Manager of Heritage Sites/ Homestead Museum Operations flr the Town of Wytheville Department of Museums. It is short for the Willowbrook Jackson/Umberger Homestead Museum.it consists of 17 stand alone buildings and will provide education on Wythe County's early craftsmen, artisans, settlers and agriculture histories. The main feature is a brick home built by William Huffard around 1850, who was a brickmason. If you have seen the 1855 "View of Wytheville" painting by Edward Beyer, you habe seen Huffard's brickyard in the foreground. There are 5 log buildings directly behind the Huffard home that include the 1803 Henry Umbarger log cabin, smokehouse, spring house, demo stration kitchen house and a barn. This is the domestic life learbing area and will discuss early settlers lives from the 18th century to the ACW. At the far end of the property stand the woodworming, blacksmith, and gunsmith shop. This is the traditional arts and crafta demonstration area. The Huffard home will become the new decorative arts/ material culture museum and house original items made in Wythe County including rifles, pie safes, painted blanlet chests and so on. We are thrilled to have this new museum under full development. We also have an 1820s log home being constructed currently that will house ticket sales, welcome area, bookshop area, and videos to help i troduce SWVA, Wythe County, and its settlers.
Attached are photos from the property and the gunsmith shop.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 09:33:56 PM by MGillman »

Offline MGillman

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 09:05:50 PM »
And apparently, i cant type on a phone so look over my spelling mistakes.

Offline mountainman70

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2021, 11:38:06 PM »
No problem bro. I call it Dammfatfingers. Lol.
My spelling occasionally goes on a mountaineer holiday, and I slip back to my mountain dialect.
I love the area there.
What are the visiting hours?
Best regards Dave  8) 8)

Offline MGillman

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2021, 12:29:43 AM »
No problem bro. I call it Dammfatfingers. Lol.
My spelling occasionally goes on a mountaineer holiday, and I slip back to my mountain dialect.
I love the area there.
What are the visiting hours?
Best regards Dave  8) 8)

So, it hasnt fully opened to the public as of yet, but if you are passing through the area one weekend and let me know ahead of time, i may could arrange something.