Author Topic: BP Hoarding  (Read 7973 times)

Offline EC121

Re: BP Hoarding
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2021, 04:47:17 AM »
I bought 20lbs. of Swiss from Bufffalo Arms the day the shutdown was announced.  It isn't hoarding if you will use it.
Brice Stultz

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2021, 05:55:26 PM »
Hoarding is one of the most nonsensical, abused, and overused words I can think of. Buying three cases of something when it’s available because there’s word it might not be available intermittently over the next two years isn’t hoarding. Buying 20lbs of BP because of a major shutdown occurred during a pandemic is not hoarding. Collecting 7,354,897 boxes of Macaroni and Cheese and making yourself side walk through 1’ wide gaps to get from your front door to anywhere in your house is hoarding.

Even the term ‘panic buying’ is silly, suggesting you yourself panics at the right time, and everyone else does so prematurely…..

Or, at least, that’s how it seems sitting here sipping Coffee in my camper at the lake….
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 06:01:41 PM by Bob McBride »

Online MuskratMike

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2021, 06:26:47 PM »
Bob: you are wise beyond your years. You kind of said it all in a nutshell. Thanks for posting it.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2021, 07:24:15 PM »
If I relegate my bp shooting to hunting and target shooting, I’m good for several years.   It’s reenacting that eats it up.  I’ve ordered 2 full cases over the last 20 years (and bought out a buddy several years ago) and it’s worked out well.......aside from the continued price increase. 

I’ve ordered Shuetzen reenactor powder for just that purpose and will save my GOEX for the live stuff. 

And I’m working with a buddy on making our own, which is something I should’ve done a long time ago.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2021, 07:48:43 PM »
It may not be a great idea to confess to breaking powder storage laws on the internet.   There is certainly nothing to be gained.

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2021, 10:29:02 PM »
I bought 25lbs mostly 1F and 2F I wish I bought some 3F and 4F. I have about 20lbs of that left I have some old 3F and 4F that my uncle gave me its got to be 60+ years old and it shoots good. I'd buy another 25lbs if I knew that the factory was closing.
Rob

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2021, 12:59:02 AM »
It may not be a great idea to confess to breaking powder storage laws on the internet.   There is certainly nothing to be gained.

Never over the legal limit.  When I was reenacting on a regular basis, going through a pound of powder on a weekend wasn’t unexpected, especially when my son was shooting too. 

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2021, 01:17:37 AM »
It use to be legal to buy 50lbs not sure now though, I have never done that but I knew a few people did in the past
Rob

Offline Bassdog1

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2021, 01:32:38 AM »
You can still buy up to 50 lbs.  legally. I have been a big supporter of keeping your legal limit of powder since I got back into black powder shooting a few years back. It will be funny to see all of the posts of guys with full cases of powder who call others hoarders when the supply becomes available again.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2021, 05:27:19 PM »

Never over the legal limit.  When I was reenacting on a regular basis, going through a pound of powder on a weekend wasn’t unexpected, especially when my son was shooting too.

In some places you are limited to one pound in the house or garage.  I am not saying it makes any sense, it just is.   

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2021, 09:36:51 PM »
This whole kerfluffel caused me to go inventory my supply.  It doesn't go away nearly as fast as it used to, when I was shooting several BPCR matches monthly... ::)

I have a mixed bag of 10 pounds on hand, from 1 1/2f to 3f , so I'm not quite ready to start leaching bat guano and setting up a powder mill in the backyard (not that it might not come to that  :o)  My little supply will get me through the rest of this year's woodswalks, sporting clays, and hunting season.   But I sure hope Hodgen finds a buyer for Goex.

I think I'm gonna go and see if I can figure out how to download the blackpowder-making videos from YouTube before some enterprising snowflake complains, and they are removed...

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2021, 12:33:33 AM »
Most of my shooting is with the .32 and the .36.  The little guys generally get fired at 25 (+ or -).   But a friend and I did do very well at near 80 yards on soda-pop bottles with 20 grns of 3F in my .36.  While they all get exercised from time to time, paper targets don't have to be punched with .50 deer loads every time.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2021, 02:10:47 PM »
I am sure someone will pick up the slack, things will just get more expensive. I have about 10 pounds of Goex and Swiss on hand which will last me awhile. Have about the same quantity of RS and P Pyrodex that will be used in my percussion guns, though I don't really like using it.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2021, 03:58:11 PM »
As much as I'm able, I try to stock up on things when they're available.  I ordered a good supply of BP a few years ago and at the rate I get to shoot, it will last a while.  I only wish my mix of powders had included more 3Fg and less 2Fg.  But then, I should probably try my 2Fg sometime.  I mainly got it with loading 45/70 and 11mm Mauser in mind, though I suspect I would have been fine ordering all 3Fg for both muzzleloaders and BPCR.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2021, 06:41:06 PM »
Bones - I developed accuracy loads for both my .40 and .45 barrels using 2F GOEX. What was required, was 10gr. more powder than the 3F loads for both rifles
when using a slippery lube, like Dr. Flintlock's lube or LehighValley Lube. With a water based lube, only 5gr. was necessary.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 08:20:26 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline snowman485

• Starting Member
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2021, 07:37:54 PM »
Where do you all live that you tell some offical how much powder you have? Not saying i would run like $#*! if my house cought on fire,but, dont slow down or youll have my boot prints on your back😂😂😂😂

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2021, 10:30:41 PM »
Bones - I developed accuracy loads for both my .450 and .45 barrels using 2F GOEX. What was required, was 10gr. more powder than the 3F loads for both rifles
when using a slippery lube, like Dr. Flintlock's lube or LehighValley Lube. With a water based lube, only 5gr. was necessary.

Daryl, good to know.  I will probably reserve the 2Fg for cartridges, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it in lieu of 3Fg in my flinters.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline SR James

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2021, 02:49:50 AM »
Fed Ex received my shipment a week ago and it’s still not here yet. Maybe tomorrow.  Tracking says it will be delivered today which will be difficult since it arrived in Texas at 3 this afternoon and I’m in central Oklahoma.  Don’t think I’ll hold my breath.  :D

Offline snowman485

• Starting Member
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2021, 02:07:26 AM »
Good luck Fed Ex has said mine is out on the truck for delivery for 6 days now. Fed Ex sucks

Offline SR James

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2021, 03:16:18 PM »
Yes, Fed Ex sucks. My order arrived two days late but at least it’s here.  I have another order of non-shooting related stuff also shipped Fed Ex, also late. They also break stuff more than the other carriers in my experience. Good luck with your order.  I hope it arrives soon if it hasn’t already.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2021, 04:04:17 PM »
Around here, Fed-Ex is about only carrier that gets here when they say they will.
Psalms 144

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2021, 12:47:48 AM »
This whole kerfluffel caused me to go inventory my supply.  It doesn't go away nearly as fast as it used to, when I was shooting several BPCR matches monthly... ::)

I have a mixed bag of 10 pounds on hand, from 1 1/2f to 3f , so I'm not quite ready to start leaching bat guano and setting up a powder mill in the backyard (not that it might not come to that  :o)  My little supply will get me through the rest of this year's woodswalks, sporting clays, and hunting season.   But I sure hope Hodgen finds a buyer for Goex.

I think I'm gonna go and see if I can figure out how to download the blackpowder-making videos from YouTube before some enterprising snowflake complains, and they are removed...

Greg

I looked today (finally) and I also have  mixed lot of 12 pounds including the Elephant (1lb) and the
Curtis&Harvey (1lb) and Swiss 3fg (1lb)and a mix of OLD DuPont and GOEX with 1lb of GOEX 4fg;
Also perussion caps about 600 and 250 Navy Arms musket caps.Also have an empty can marked Meteor
Powder.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2021, 01:38:01 AM »
I shot Meteor, Curtis and Harvey and Dupont back in the 70's, Bob. You've had that for a while.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2021, 04:33:36 AM »
I have been doing repairs, ramrods and tune ups for members of my black powder gun club and usually charge "a pound of powder"
Not hoarding but a fair trade.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline AZshot

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2021, 08:11:31 PM »
If you believe in the supply chain, then there should be no reason to buy more of anything than you use between convenient trips to the store or online ordering.  I always did that with powder (as well as .22s, primers, et al).  I wanted to go shooting, I'd stop by the gun shop the night before and buy a few boxes.  Sometimes I kept a few at home, but not 10,000 rounds.  Probably 4 boxes.  But the last scare around 7-8 years ago left me unable to shoot with my teen daughters....for years.  Every morning people lined up at Walmart, to buy the entire shipment, and store it in their garages.  I work, I can't take off work at the drop of a hat and chase down the "quick - got it HERE!" notices people got.  I was hosed.  If all those people would have just bought enough to shoot that week, or month, everyone would have gotten their share.  The supply was there - companies were making tons of inventory.  There was nothing to fear but fear itself, so there was a "run" on it all.  Same today with a lot of ammo/components.  But BP is worse. 

A large part of over buying inventory (hoarding) is not trusting supply.  Today, with GOEX going under, that makes sense.  Supply just was cut in half, forever unless someone buys them.  So it's not really hoarding, if someone's next chance to buy any" may be 3-4 years, instead of months.  Still, if 20 people went out to buy BP one day last week, but 1 person got it all before them, it means 19 don't get to shoot if they didn't have any.  The law of supply and demand has always, since the dawn of humanity, been that someone "wins" and someone "loses".  The faster, luckier, or more persistent hunter gathered more than his neighbor.  The hunter-gatherer that found the secret berry bush took all the berries to market to sell them, or just ate them all with his family, and won.  The next hunter that went by that bush and found no berries lost. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 08:18:08 PM by AZshot »