Author Topic: Possible family heirloom powder horn  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Dave B

Possible family heirloom powder horn
« on: October 29, 2021, 07:51:43 AM »
I found a small powder horn at a local antique mall. I was floored when i see the initals carved into the horn are the vary same as my Great Gandads  B - H - B  for Benjamin Henry Blaisdell.  I  know it's a stretch of fantasy on my part but due to some stupidity on the part of family members about gramas will dividing up the old farm amungst the kids, my uncle Bob had a court order to vacate the house and failed to comply. He was arrested and the contents of the farm house put in a storage unit. He refused to pay the storage fees. Short story is my great grandads old sxs muzzleloader was sold at auction by the court for non payment along with other heirlooms of the family.... possibly this very horn. I stumbled upon the old double gun on a snooping mission through my uncles stuff in the back closet when I was 12 yrs old or so. The silver shield in the buttstock had the same block style letters as these on the horn

I discovered the date on the back of the butplug is 1858. There is also a small bird carved near the but portion. A cool piece of history none the less.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 05:09:50 PM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

Re: Possible family heirloom powder horn
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 07:58:13 AM »
The horn's butt plug is 2" across, outside the curve length is 11 "
Dave Blaisdell

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 08:24:49 AM »
Someone upstairs was watching out for you Dave! Great find and you seem to be able to clinch the facts surrounding it. Is there an '1850s' date lightly scratched into butt plug? Wonderful find; thank you for bringing it here.
Dick

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 09:00:16 AM »
Yes you can make out the 185 then screw hole for the hornsstrap screw and loop the eight is slightly covered by the screw base plates impression. I am very pleased to have it maybe not my great grand sires but cool history.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 05:25:04 PM »
Great find Dave...

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 09:51:35 PM »
Might be a good chance that actually is your ancestors horn.  Not common initials and it came from your area.  How cool.
I found a horn marked J*SH.  I like to think it was my 4th great grandfather Jacob Shreckengost's but it's not as likely as your's is.
Enjoyed your post.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 06:59:02 AM »
This is a neat and maybe significant find. Congrats on a great find.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 07:12:16 PM »
Dave,

A great find.  Thanks for sharing the images and this history behind it.

Take Care,
Kevin