Author Topic: Rogers rangers powder horn  (Read 2325 times)

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
Rogers rangers powder horn
« on: December 06, 2021, 11:51:08 PM »
Hi Folks.
I've read a few books now on Rogers Rangers. One book mentioned one of the officers having a compass in the base plug of his powder horn. I was wondering if there are any pictures or any other documentation of such a horn as I'm considering building something like that, this winter.

Thanks
Kelvin
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 03:07:17 AM by kswan »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Rogers rangers powder horn
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 12:17:53 AM »
I cannot find one among my stored images or in books or articles. I see several with mirrors on the butt plug face. Seem to recall a compass but not the vintage.
Andover, Vermont

Offline foxm2015

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 01:49:28 AM »
Hey Kelvin,
I believe that "Sketchbook 56 The Book of Rogers Rangers Volume III The Highlanders and Provincial Rangers" by Ted Spring showed an illustration of a powder horn with compass.   Attribution / bibliography unsure as cannot locate my copy at this time.  Page 67.  Quote that accompanies illustration "An Officer's powder horn.  An ornate bull's horn for powder storage.  Such fancy carved horns were often made in England.  A compass has been fitted onto the hardwood base plug at the horn's rear." 

Overall length 13 3/4" at bottom curve to tip.  Not able to attribute an exact source from References.

Please accept my apologies for the mistaken reference in the original post.   Information is correct now.

Besides ALR Forum members another option would be The Honourable Company of Horners as a good source of information.

Hope this is helpful.
Best Regards,
Marc
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 06:19:23 AM by foxm2015 »

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 04:54:59 PM »
Thanks very much for the replies. Sketchbook 56 The Book of Rogers Rangers, seems a bit hard to find right now, all out of stock.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 05:30:30 PM »
 There are Pix around and it seems to me some have been posted here, I'll have to search for them. There is also a source for the style of compass you would want to make on but I'll have to find that too.

Tim C.

Offline Jim Spray

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 07:28:06 PM »
Crazy Crow has the compass for the plug end of the horn.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 07:49:28 PM »
 That's where I saw them, I just couldn't remember. TC

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 01:53:02 AM »
 Ok, I have looked high and low for Pix of horns with compasses in the butt but cannot find one and I know they're out there. Tomorrow I will search through the books I have.

Tim

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 04:53:08 AM »
Really appreciate the help guys.

Offline foxm2015

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 06:17:46 AM »
Hey Kelvin,
Please check original post for updated information.
Thanks,
Marc.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 02:23:29 PM »
 Found this: https://www.powderhornsandmore.com/product/horn-compass/

and this: https://www.crazycrow.com/horn-items/mini-powder-horn-compass

But still no actual horns with one, as for this site I suspect any Pix have ben removed by the host site.
I have cruised many web pages too with no luck, which surprises me. 

Tim
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 02:33:35 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 03:21:56 PM »
Hey Kelvin,
Thanks,
Marc.
Thanks much for the update info. Really helpfull.

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 03:26:13 PM »
Hey Kelvin,
Thanks,
Marc.
[/quote
Thanks Tim.
Horns and more are the folks I dealt with last time. I've emailed him about parts and perhaps some insight on this build.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2021, 04:41:13 PM »
Hey Kelvin,
Thanks,
Marc.
[/quote
Thanks Tim.
Horns and more are the folks I dealt with last time. I've emailed him about parts and perhaps some insight on this build.

If you come across any Pix, please post them.

Thanks, Tim

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2021, 05:27:44 PM »
Will do.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 08:54:50 PM »
Kswan, try Fort Ticonderoga.  Also do some searches for a guy named Gary Zaboly or George Bray or Tim Todish.  They may be able to point you in the right direction.  They're all on the web somewhere.

Gary has an amazing eye for detail, George once showed me several original documents from the 55-58 period, and Tim has maintained the oldest Ranger re-enactment group in the field.

I remember seeing one with a compass in the butt, rather than a picture of one, but BE CAREFUL.  Sometimes you can be led astray.  These guys will be able to help you.  I also remember learning that some  of the rangers liked carrying charges rather than horns into the woods, in spite of what some of the contemporary sources pointed out ( quite possibly bullocks horns were an exception rather than a rule?)

It always seemed easier to trek with charges over horns and smoothbores lend themselves to that....sometimes...

Offline kswan

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2021, 06:44:16 PM »
Kswan, try Fort Ticonderoga.  Also do some searches for a guy named Gary Zaboly or George Bray or Tim Todish.  They may be able to point you in the right direction.  They're all on the web somewhere.

Gary has an amazing eye for detail, George once showed me several original documents from the 55-58 period, and Tim has maintained the oldest Ranger re-enactment group in the field.

I remember seeing one with a compass in the butt, rather than a picture of one, but BE CAREFUL.  Sometimes you can be led astray.  These guys will be able to help you.  I also remember learning that some  of the rangers liked carrying charges rather than horns into the woods, in spite of what some of the contemporary sources pointed out ( quite possibly bullocks horns were an exception rather than a rule

It always seemed easier to trek with charges over horns and smoothbores lend themselves to that....sometimes...

Thanks very much for the information leads.