Author Topic: Coyotes, Cell Phones, & Mishaps!!  (Read 9175 times)

Mike R

Re: Coyotes, Cell Phones, & Mishaps!!
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 05:41:15 PM »
Up here, if you take the highway as far north as possible, [ north of Thunderbay] to Armstrong, Ontario; and then hop on a "Beaver" and fly further for an hour...you'll get to where we moose hunt.
Middle of nowhere. The plane will pick you up on the appointed day....or not. Depends on the weather.
Years ago, the group I go with had a fellow pass away from a suspected heart attack. Nothing to be done, so they wrapped him in his sleeping bag, hung him in a tree to keep the critters off, and went hunting!
Point is, I can't for the life of me think of a better place to "make the transition" There are some places we go where having a phone won't save you. I love to spend as much tome as I can  in those places.
Some people I know really take a risk just leaving the hospital parking lot,and I really feel for them. If having a phone lets you get out there and hunt, by all means carry it.   Have fun. Life is too short.

That is sorta the way I think, too...can't think of a better place to go than deep in the wilds somewhere. It is in my will that when I pass, my ashes be spread on a mountain top in a remote place not likely to be developed, so my spirit, if there is such a thing,  can run free unfettered by modern "stuff".  Also, I like the challenge of being alone in the wilds and unconnected to civilization, which in any event, I don't care for much.  Did our ancestors have cellphones when they braved the new trails?  No--heck I did not have cellphones available when I did most of my treks--they did not exist until a few years ago--what did folks do without them?  They did OK...we did not miss them, I do not miss them now.

La Longue Carabine

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »

That is sorta the way I think, too...can't think of a better place to go than deep in the wilds somewhere. It is in my will that when I pass, my ashes be spread on a mountain top in a remote place not likely to be developed, so my spirit, if there is such a thing,  can run free unfettered by modern "stuff".  Also, I like the challenge of being alone in the wilds and unconnected to civilization, which in any event, I don't care for much. Did our ancestors have cellphones when they braved the new trails?  No--heck I did not have cellphones available when I did most of my treks--they did not exist until a few years ago--what did folks do without them?  They did OK...we did not miss them, I do not miss them now.

You don't owe me any apologizes,  i'am as thick skinned as they come. I just felt like you jumped, judged and landed pretty hard on a fella that was merely telling a story about my weekend and how funny it was that i missed an oppertunity to get me a coyote skinned hat....thats all. ::)

I do think its funny however, that your so opposed to modern technology and the use of cell phones, and you like to be "unfettered by modern stuff", yet you seem to have very little trouble banging away on a keyboard/computer... ???...  I figure this internet stuff is far more useless than a cell phone will ever be,  but thats just my opinion and observation... :D

I do like hearing about your far away adventures, i've never got to do anything like that and most likely never will. So i have to sit back and read about other folks and the adventures they have. They should consider themselves truely blessed.

Thank's and no hard feelings,
Danny

Mike R

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2009, 03:29:45 PM »

That is sorta the way I think, too...can't think of a better place to go than deep in the wilds somewhere. It is in my will that when I pass, my ashes be spread on a mountain top in a remote place not likely to be developed, so my spirit, if there is such a thing,  can run free unfettered by modern "stuff".  Also, I like the challenge of being alone in the wilds and unconnected to civilization, which in any event, I don't care for much. Did our ancestors have cellphones when they braved the new trails?  No--heck I did not have cellphones available when I did most of my treks--they did not exist until a few years ago--what did folks do without them?  They did OK...we did not miss them, I do not miss them now.

You don't owe me any apologizes,  i'am as thick skinned as they come. I just felt like you jumped, judged and landed pretty hard on a fella that was merely telling a story about my weekend and how funny it was that i missed an oppertunity to get me a coyote skinned hat....thats all. ::)

I do think its funny however, that your so opposed to modern technology and the use of cell phones, and you like to be "unfettered by modern stuff", yet you seem to have very little trouble banging away on a keyboard/computer... ???...  I figure this internet stuff is far more useless than a cell phone will ever be,  but thats just my opinion and observation... :D

I do like hearing about your far away adventures, i've never got to do anything like that and most likely never will. So i have to sit back and read about other folks and the adventures they have. They should consider themselves truely blessed.

Thank's and no hard feelings,
Danny

I do not take a computer into the woods with me... ;)  Once I retire [soon] I will likely not use the computer much anymore--I use the one at work daily [my job requires it] and do not get on one over weekends or holidays!  What I meant was that my excursions into the local woods or faraway places are times when I can "get away" from modern stuff. In my youth--and I suspect yours--we did not have any of this modern stuff, but what little we did have we also escaped from into the woods. It amazes me how attached folks are to their modern devices, how tied to them, to the point they cannot even drive without being on them. It is an addiction that I am avoiding.  The world moves too fast, and life goes too fast--there is a latin phrase: vita fugit sicut umbra which means 'life flees like a shadow'.  I try to enjoy it at a slower pace sometimes, and without interruption from the modern society--linked by cellphones constantly...

Dave K

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2009, 05:33:37 PM »
Like La Longue Carabine, I too carry my cell phone with me, also on vibrate. I too have some health issues, that my wife would have everyone like La Longue Carabine's wife out looking for me. I hunt totally alone, 99% of the time. Even though I tell my wife where I will be, I know she has no idea what I talking about, but she nods anyhow like she understands. Like others here on the board as well, my source of income depends also on being in touch. So the cell phone has made good choices for me. I can wait for a phone that never rings when I am in the office, or I can go hunting and never miss a beat. Now, if I were on a big vacation and everyone who is doing buisness with me knew that also, I just may leave the phone at home as well. But on a day to day life, it sure has given me freedom. Some people make the choice to get hidden and that is great, I am jealous, that you can do it. Some people need to keep in touch to provide an income and provide security for their families that they can be reached,  or that I can reach out.  I never carried a cell phone until about 6-7 yrs. ago and the freedom it has given me is priceless!

By the way  La Longue Carabine, your "get up" looks great. Glad you could share the experience.