Author Topic: Eastern TN Rifle with Cigar shaped Patchbox and Lollipop tang - Acquired no 2  (Read 1723 times)

Offline AZshot

This is the second rifle I was fortunate to get on New Years' eve.  It has a very long 46 3/4" barrel, overall length 63 1/2".  It is about .40 caliber, walnut stock.  The triggerguard is very square and has a closed handguard loop, making me surmise a Bean influenced gunsmith.  I hope you enjoy it.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
AZ, nice indeed..!
Great lines, and beautiful mounts. 2022 is starting out great for you my friend..!

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline AZshot

Thank you, nice to hear.  And may this year be a great one for you, and for all of us too.  Life has it's ups and downs.  My mule is out in the paddock likely going downhill this weekend.  The seller was old and having memory and health problems and wishing for more visitors. I can see myself there in 25 years. My best friend died a few weeks ago, we won't get to tell the great stories while rocking on the porch, that I thought we'd do.  So getting the rifles was bittersweet....thinking of all the previous owners...and that I'm also just a temporary caretaker.  But I'm happy to show them here, happy for this forum that makes it easier than years ago when the seller tells me he had to join the Kentucky Rifle Association and deal with the politics and travel of live clubs.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 03:15:48 AM by AZshot »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

??? ???.. nice one, Garrett,... I like everything about this'un,... the cheek-rest makes me think lower East Tennessee, (Soddy),... but the rest is typical Unicoi Co. Tennessee,.. as an aside, I have only seen a 7-part hinge on rifles made by the Lawing family and  some rifles made by Ambrose Lawing use that sort of canted lock angle,... altogether a very nice Tennessee hog rifle,... bring her to Knoxville in the Spring..... thanx for showing, and regards as usual,.... Cades Cove Fiddler,.....

Offline JTR

• member 2
Well, I was going to say it sounded like you had a good evening, but I guess more bitter sweet, than sweet.
Nice looking gun, none the less.
John
John Robbins

Offline B.Barker

Nice rifle. I'm with Dana on the cheek rest looking Soddy like. Thanks for showing it to us.

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
Thank you, nice to hear.  And may this year be a great one for you, and for all of us too.  Life has it's ups and downs.  My mule is out in the paddock likely going downhill this weekend.  The seller was old and having memory and health problems and wishing for more visitors. I can see myself there in 25 years. My best friend died a few weeks ago, we won't get to tell the great stories while rocking on the porch, that I thought we'd do.  So getting the rifles was bittersweet....thinking of all the previous owners...and that I'm also just a temporary caretaker.  But I'm happy to show them here, happy for this forum that makes it easier than years ago when the seller tells me he had to join the Kentucky Rifle Association and deal with the politics and travel of live clubs.
AZ, I can relate to all the above as I’ll be turning 81 this February. Been in the KRA for 41 years, and making the Tenn. Show since Robins second one. Bring her by in April at the Knoxville show would sure like to see it.
Bob
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 07:24:12 AM by Rajin cajun »
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline AZshot

Thanks for the tips Dana.  I was just looking at the front sight of your Ambrose Lawing barrel, it looks the same as mine, with the dovetail set at the rear of the silver blade.  And JTR, it was a nice evening in many ways, and Rajin I'd like to come to the show, but it's a 3 day drive from here! 

Offline Hungry Horse

I like everything about this gun. Congratulations on picking up another southern mountain survivor. I would suggest placing your light somewhere that it doesn’t cast a shadow on the lock, and triggers, though.

Hungry Horse

Offline AZshot

Sure, here are some more.  Click for large.  Then right-click the larger image and select "Open in new Tab" to see the whole thing.  For some reason when you go larger, it cuts off.

Offline gibster

This is a very nice rifle and one that I would welcome in my collection. Can't say who made it, but I agree with CCF that the cheek piece has a Soddy look to it.  The high comb (at least from the pictures) and the stock architecture looks similar to the Robert Hughes rifle (#195) in Bill Ivey's book of NC Rifles. This one has a closed loop on the guard as well. But I have been told by a few more knowledgeable collectors that they haven't seen a Hughes rifle with a box on it. But never say never. Regardless, you have a nice rifle and if you ever decided to part with it, I don't think you will have to look hard to find another caretaker for it. 

Offline scottmc

Very pleasing looking mountain rifle!!  Congrats on the acquisition.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Spalding

Beautiful rifle. Like everything about it. The squared off nose of the comb, Soddy style cheek rest, trigger guard, etc.
Does it have some castoff? In the picture of the lollipop tang, it looks like the comb/butt is off to the right of barrel/tang centerline. Or is it just the angle of the photo?

Bob

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
AZ, I have a set of the late Myron Carlson hardware for the Bean bear tree rifle that he copied from original back in 80s?,and have installed on a long slim stock. Buttplate longggg return, patchbox and release identical,t guard very close.
I am no expert, but I thought Bean when I first looked at pics.
I am also painfully aware of that which you speak regarding friends/brothers,sisters that await us on the other side. Just a part of still being here,and I am glad we all are.
 These folks here have been my Medicin beings.
 Keep warm y'all. Cold night here, and I know it is worse other places.
Best regards, Dave F 8) 8)

Offline AZshot

Beautiful rifle. Like everything about it. The squared off nose of the comb, Soddy style cheek rest, trigger guard, etc.
Does it have some castoff? In the picture of the lollipop tang, it looks like the comb/butt is off to the right of barrel/tang centerline. Or is it just the angle of the photo?

Bob

Thanks.  And by Jove you're right, the stock is cast off a little, I just put a ruler on it.  Maybe 1 inch? 

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
That's a beauty right there.   Thanks for sharing the pics.  Love seeing that Soddy cheek. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Bob Roller

Extremely fine condition and had to be well stored by someone.Any ideas as to when it was built?
The maker was obviously an experienced gun maker with a good idea about shapes and proportions.
Bob Roller