Author Topic: Jaeger Rifles Books?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Jaeger Rifles Books?
« on: January 02, 2022, 06:59:06 AM »
Well hi. I am currently researching my German heritage and it seems my family on my Father’s side was very German and were in Virginia during the late 18th century before migrating to Illinois sometimes thereafter.

This has peaked my interest in Jaeger rifles, specifically there use in Colonial America. If anyone has some digestible literature to recommend, I’m all ears gang. Something discussing origin, usage, loading, dimensions, accouterments, average calibers etc. would be excellent. Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 07:05:25 AM by Panzerschwein »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Jaeger Rifles Books?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 05:34:34 PM »
Call Chambers, he sells a very good book on jeagers.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 07:02:04 PM »
For starters there is Shumway‘s „Jaeger Rifles-Collected Articles published in Muzzle Blasts“
And there is the „bible“, Erhard Wolf „ Steinschloss Jägerbüchsen“
I guess there is an English translation, not sure about that…

Do you know from which part of Germany your ancestors originated?
Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Online Ron Scott

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 05:45:44 PM »
Erhard Wolfs book Steinschloss-Jagerbuchsen is out of print but ofter shows up o Amazon or Ebay. The translation to English supplement is reputed to still be available through Jim Chambers. This is a excellent resource. I have several other books that have sections relating to Jaeger Rifles and access to several original Jaegers that get used in my NMLRA seminar. Give me a call and chat 541-941-0395

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 09:36:29 PM »
I bought my copy from Germany
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 03:23:58 AM »
Mr. Wolf is almost finished with a second book...can't wait to see more of those great rifles.

Offline Nailcreek

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 05:27:22 AM »
I was able to find my copy from Germany, and bought the translation from your shop, Mr. Chambers.  I'm really looking forward to the next volume - any idea on publish date?

Online Ron Scott

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 04:39:58 PM »
Jim,  I have not communicated with Erhard in a few months. Has he indicated any estimation on the printing of his new book?

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 07:46:59 PM »
The book is scheduled to go to the publisher in the next few months.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 12:00:13 AM »
I had a look through Taylor's copy of that book. Absolutely amazing.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Nailcreek

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 03:10:28 AM »
The book is scheduled to go to the publisher in the next few months.

Will it be available from your shop when it comes out?

Online alacran

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 04:12:25 PM »
I have Herr Wolf's book, if he comes out with a second volume, I surely will buy it. This is a great book the photography is superb.
The book does have its short comings.
I believe Wolf is enamored of metal work and does not pay enough attention to carving. Photos of the carving behind cheek piece are often muddled and they tend to be small. Same can be said of tang carvings.  There is also an over representation of Freund rifles.  just my opinion.
 I am trying hard not to destroy this book with my constant visits.
There is one rifle which I find to be most interesting. That is rifle #44.
If you can get the Eric Bye's translation by all means get it. A picture may say a thousand words, but unless your German is very good, you will have thousands of words that you won't understand.
Shumway's compilation is more diverse, though the quality of the photography is less than good.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Jakob

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 08:57:48 AM »
I meant to post this ages ago, but forgot.
It's not too hard to find on German book websites, but does require a little German or being handy with google translate:
I got mine from here:
https://www.dwjmedien.de/epages/62424437.sf/de_DE/?ObjectID=1462957&ViewAction=FacetedSearchProducts&SearchString=+Steinschloss+J%C3%A4gerb%C3%BCchsen&SearchButton=

~$63USD + $10 shipping.
It did however get lost during shipping and took nearly 3 months to turn up.

Offline Chris_B

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 07:29:09 AM »
If someone wants to buy the book but has problems
with the order from DWJ, send me a PM.
May be easier if I order it and ship it to you.

Kind regards from Germany, Chris

Offline Monty59

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 06:26:33 PM »
Here I have same information about the new book !

After the author published his first illustrated book about flintlock Jaeger rifles, he now presents, after renewed, extensive preparatory work and research, with this second illustrated book another work about magnificent hunting firearms from different centuries. As in his first work, the author deals with courtly hunting events, which he impressively documents by means of a large number of original engravings and hunting paintings as background accompaniment to the respective hunting weapons. The author focuses his attention on the mechanical and handicraft skills and styles of the individual gunsmiths, iron cutters and ornamentalists, in which he puts the artistic aspects of the various hunting firearms in the foreground. Numerous museums and private collectors have thankfully opened their art chambers to the author. He thus had the opportunity to publish for the first time in this illustrated book magnificent hunting firearms owned by famous personalities, but also mechanical masterpieces of the gunsmith's craft, which were technologically far ahead of their time of origin. All firearms were photographed under professional studio conditions and exclusively in color. The author has dedicated a separate chapter to gunsmithing and the fine arts, which he presents in an impressive manner with numerous copperplate engravings that have never been shown before. He thus provides the reader with insights into a time when art and mechanics were still siblings.

The first book of the author about Flintlock-Jaeger- Rifles is still available
From the second book there are only some sample copies available at the moment. The author is in negotiation with the Deutscher Kunstverlag in Berlin. The Kunstverlag is interested in publishing the new book. The negotiations are not yet finished.

Monty

Online alacran

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 11:57:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing the information, Monty. Hopefully it will materialize sooner rather than later.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 03:53:30 PM »
Hopefully the Brandenburg guns aren't excluded this time.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Nailcreek

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 03:48:08 AM »
Thanks for the update ... looking forward to this being published!