Author Topic: Collection of Lancaster, PA guns  (Read 1756 times)

Rugerbuch

Collection of Lancaster, PA guns
« on: January 03, 2022, 12:08:12 AM »
Hello All,
I recently acquired a collection of guns and would like to gather more info about them. I included a picture of the 8 guns and some more in depth pics of the gun farthest to the left. I am looking primarily for time periods of production and any other info that may assist in my research. I also included a list of names on the guns that I will number 1-8 starting left and going right. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Joel

1. LEMAN
2. ASHMORE? J GUMPF - in script difficult to read
3. H. E. LEAMN
4. H. GIBBS
5. H. E. LEMAN
6. H. E. LEMAN
7. A GOMPF
8. A GOMPF

Offline Dobyns

Re: Collection of Lancaster, PA guns
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 12:29:17 AM »
You NEED Lancaster books, lots of info in those books!

My gut tells me the J Gumpf may be the oldest of the bunch, but maybe not.  Its difficult to tell which may (or not) have been converted.  Henry Leman apprenticed with Melchior Fordney before working for Tryon in Philadelphia for a few years.  Your H Leman flintlock is post 1835, so probably not as old as many might casually think.

Rugerbuch

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 04:12:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice.....just picked up two books that are specific to Lancaster, PA guns.

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 06:43:24 AM »
I am interested in making a flintlock Leman.  Does anyone know a modern lock maker that makes a lock in the style of picture number 3 in the original post?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 07:27:53 AM »
Really cool collection of late Lancaster guns!

Martin S, the Chamber’s Late Ketland lock can be made to look pretty close to what you’re looking for. Chris Hirsch has castings from original locks that are probably much closer as-is but you’d have to get the lock castings assembled. I’m not sure his have a fly but if planning a simple trigger it would not matter.
Andover, Vermont

Offline cshirsch

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 06:45:00 PM »
Really cool collection of late Lancaster guns!

Martin S, the Chamber’s Late Ketland lock can be made to look pretty close to what you’re looking for. Chris Hirsch has castings from original locks that are probably much closer as-is but you’d have to get the lock castings assembled. I’m not sure his have a fly but if planning a simple trigger it would not matter.

Some of my sets have flies but all can have a fly added.
http://www.texasguntrade.com/parts.htm