Author Topic: Soddy Gunsmith - ENOCH HARDIN - Obituary  (Read 1027 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Soddy Gunsmith - ENOCH HARDIN - Obituary
« on: January 07, 2022, 09:24:10 PM »
I'm sure most of the collectors have seen this before but thought I would share the information for some of the new Soddy builders.   

Cheers,
Ken

Enoch K. Hardin

ENOCH HARDIN, 96, DIES AT HIS HOME
~
Lived to Be Last Veteran of Civil War in County
~
               Enoch K. Harding, 96, colorful character of the Grasshopper section, who, as a lad of 15 joined the Union Army and served in the Civil War during the last two years, died yesterday at his home in Birchwood.
               The deceased, who was noted as a gunsmith, was said to have lived to become the last veteran of the Civil War in Hamilton County.
               A one-time resident of Pikeville, Tenn., he was one of Tennessee’s most famous old-time gunmakers. Among the guns made by him was “Long Tom,” which was long a treasured possession of the late Walter Cline, a former Chattanooga photographer.
               He manufactured hundreds of rifles, many of which were constructed half a century or more ago. His guns were greatly in demand in their time because of the excellent material used in them and the correctness of the sight placements. Walter Cline captured first prize with “Long Tom” at a Rod and Gun Club shooting match in 1928.
               In addition to guns, Hardin made fiddles which he carved with a jackknife from cedarwood.
               When the deceased was visited by an Evening Times reporter Sept. 18, 1941, he was described by his oldest son, W. M. (Bill) Hardin, with whom he lived, as having spent most of his days in the Grasshopper section, around Pikeville and around Daisy.
               The son, who was then in his 70s, said he calculated his father was 97 on June 25, 1941, “from his birth date in my granddaddy’s old bible.”
               His eyesight and hearing were then fairly good.
               He is survived by two sons, Bill Hardin and John Hardin, both of Birchwood; seven daughters, Mrs. Lottie Phillips, East Chattanooga; Mrs. Lucy Eldridge, Alton Park; Mrs. Mattie Posey, East Lake; Mrs. Nancy Goins, East Chattanooga; Mrs. Jennie Gann, East Chattanooga; Mrs. Julie Davis, Highland Park, and Mrs. Hester Gan, Birchwood; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
               Funeral services will be held at the Grasshopper Holiness Church Saturday at 10 a. m., the Rev. Jimmie DeFriese of Birchwood officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery.
The Chattanooga Times, September 10, 1943.

Note: Enoch Harding was born July 15, 1847 and died September 9, 1943.

Submitted by Jean Potts
ButterbeanTN@aol.com
https://www.hctgs.org/Obits/hardin_enoch.htm

Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Re: Soddy Gunsmith - ENOCH HARDIN - Obituary
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 01:32:22 AM »
Thanks for posting this Ken. My family is from Marion County, and some of them from Sequatchie And Hamilton Counties. The names in the obit are very familiar.

Bill
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 01:51:29 AM »
From what I have read about local history the area was probably 50/50 Union/Confederate so joining up with the Union side doesn't surprise me however at the age of 15 did strike me as a little young. Maybe that was more common than I think. 

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 03:28:02 AM »
 ;) ;)... Thanx, Ken,... a great read,... my Father's ancestors had a farm across the river there in Birchwood where my father was born, after moving there from the east Knox / Blount County area,.. John Selvridge was also from Birchwood,.....