Author Topic: We lost another ALR member Jan 7, 2022  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
We lost another ALR member Jan 7, 2022
« on: January 11, 2022, 01:59:14 AM »
Tom was a member here at least back to 2008 and I believe he was a member when Mark Elliott was operating the old board. Tom was almost always at the TN/KY rifle show from the very beginning of that show. Tom was a wealth of information on his beloved French guns. May he rest in peace.
Dennis

Thomas Wellington Patton SEPTEMBER 27, 1933 – JANUARY 7, 2022

IN THE CARE OF

Berry Highland Memorial

Thomas Wellington Patton, age 88, of Knoxville, Tennessee passed away on Friday, January 7, 2022. Thomas was born September 27, 1933 in Lawrenceburg.

Fond memories and expressions of sympathy may be shared at www.berryhighlandmemorial.com for the Patton family.
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: We lost another ALR member Jan 7, 2022
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 02:11:49 AM »
My condolences to his family.  Enjoyed his posts on multiple boards and conversed with him once in person. 

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 02:34:40 AM »
I remember Tom.   He was very nice to me and an early supporter of ALR.  I met him once or twice at the TN/KY Rifle Show.   I am sorry to hear of his passing.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 03:07:27 AM »
Long time KRA member and North Carolina longrifle collector John Braxton passed away last Wednesday.  That is two good ones to be missed.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 03:43:00 AM »
I did not know him real well, but bought an antique long gun from him about 20 years ago.  I remember he shipped it to me in a wooden box he made.    He will be missed for sure.  My condolence to his friends   & family.

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 04:28:12 AM »
Long time KRA member and North Carolina longrifle collector John Braxton passed away last Wednesday.  That is two good ones to be missed.

Michael

Quite a bit of talent in that man. Met him and talked with him quite a bit at Jim Webb's little shoots. Condolences

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 04:43:11 AM »
Sorry to hear this. We had many conversations. He was a real gentleman-scholar.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 04:52:44 AM »
 :o :'(... old Tom will be greatly missed,... first met him over 45 years ago when the Tennessee-Kentucky LongRifle show was started in a small hotel meeting room in Knoxville West Hills, and came to know him through all the shows and events,... Tom had a lot of knowledge about Tennessee rifles and was always enthusiastic and happy to share this knowledge with a young man willing to learn, and I learned a lot through discussion with him,...his older posts on this site shared a lot for anyone willing to read,.. so,... Here's to you, Mr. Tom, and may all your targets be plumb center, and your guns be those long, slender TENNESSEE type,.... Regards, with sympathy,... Cades Cove Fiddler,....   

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 04:59:25 AM »
No close relation. Tom and I discussed that a time or two.  We shared the same initials and surname, and indeed my first name is Thomas. Also my dad went by Tommy (Ray Thomas) and his dad went by Tom (Thomas Wm), but I'm no Jr. or III.  I met Tom when I started going to the LC show. He was an interesting and knowledgeable fellow. I'll miss our annual (nearly) chat.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 04:16:05 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 05:39:07 AM »

Michael

Oh me sorry to hear about John. I did not know him well but I did have the pleasure of touring his so
Hop or at least one of them, when I went by his home to photograph his 2 Gillespie rifles back around 1999. Very interesting man and extremely talented.
May God give peace to those that mourn his pasding.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rajin cajun

• Ragin Cajun
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 07:28:58 AM »
Tom loved his early French trade guns. He was a good old friend for many years as Fiddler has said from Robin Hale early shows. He collected iron mounted Southern rifles then. But started collecting the French Trade guns in recent years. He had some great French guns.
Rest In Peace Tom.
🙏🇺🇸🙏

Bob
It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog !

Offline backsplash75

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 07:03:53 PM »
Sorry to hear of his passing. He was a fun guy to talk to.

Offline Ezra

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2022, 11:30:26 PM »
May God rest his soul.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 12:38:57 AM »
We shared a birthday, he 12 years before me.  I should live so long.

It is always sad when someone with such a helpful attitude passes.  Condolences to the family.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.