Author Topic: Old percussion rifle id (update it’s a Jacob Roop)  (Read 1088 times)

Offline lfpdlt

• Starting Member
Old percussion rifle id (update it’s a Jacob Roop)
« on: January 21, 2022, 07:43:39 PM »
Hello, I just acquired this old rifle and was hoping to get some ideas as to when and where it was possibly made. The barrel is 40 cal with no visible rifling and measures 40.5” long. The percussion lock is marked Harvey & Sons, with no other visible markings on the rifle. Curly maple stock with quite a bit of inlay work including 4 fish shaped inlays down each side of the forestock. There are 2 (missing) lockbolts and the barrel is held to the stock with wedges, rather than pins. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 09:38:30 AM by lfpdlt »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Old percussion rifle id
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 08:45:10 PM »
I’m sure it’s got stories to tell! Wild guess; western PA or to the south of there.
Andover, Vermont

Offline lfpdlt

• Starting Member
Re: Old percussion rifle id (update it’s a Jacob Roop)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 09:41:34 AM »
A little rubbing on the barrel with some Hoppes #9 and 0000 steel wool revealed it is a Jacob Roop rifle. I found another example on the forum with an identical patchbox.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 02:31:35 PM »
Wooo-eeee! Nothing like finding a signature!
Andover, Vermont

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 02:36:20 PM »
That is a great old war horse you have. The rifle was very obviously used for many years. The wrist repair is pretty cool as well.

The name on the barrel is icing on the cake. Congratulations.

Now you have to decide whether to restore it or preserve the rifle the way it is. My personal opinion, which counts for very little, is that it should be left as is. Restoration is really a matter of one's own philosophy on historic pieces.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=3805.msg36231
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 04:26:26 PM by WESTbury »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 08:56:47 PM »
I wonder if you saw this Roop as well? https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7481.0

Your gun was a pretty nice gun originally, pretty typical of his work. it looks like it was used for many years, then fell on rough times. Thanks for posting up the pictures.
As for restoration, yes, as WESTbury points out, a pretty twitchy subject. Some are for it, some against it, some adamantinely for, and others just as adamantinely against. The Link he provided is a good read.

As for a gun like yours, and that includes a lot of old kentucky's, is that they've seen a tough life. And obviously that's reflected in their value today. Value, yes a nasty word. But value is what keeps an antique of any sort hanging on a wall with pride, or stuffed in the back of a closet. The ones on the wall tend to be enjoyed and cared for, and when sold, go for a good price. The closet models, when sold don't bring much, and might just as easily end up at the Goodwill store, or even worse, broken up in a dumpster.

To restore, or not to restore; Good question.

PS, Any story, any history on where it came from?
John   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:22:28 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 10:21:15 PM »
Gents - been following this discussion, even back to 2009, fairly early entries.
Really appreciate the knowledge gained here.  I never knew, or noticed, barrel lengthening, for example.  All good things to learn.
Also didn't know about any "collector's cartel".  Learning to keep my eyes open at gun shows/sales.
I enjoy my hobby gunsmithing and building.  Ten years ago, it was all modern stuff, selling and repairing.  Trying to fit the customer to the firearm.
Then I acquired my first muzzleloader, black powder rifle in years.  And truly enjoyed it, although it was an Italian import.  I know I removed barrel, action, etc., from the stock, and was surprised that the stock only weighed a few ounces over two pounds!
From that point, it was "Can I build one of those?"
And from this discussion, I get the urge to actually go to, and try to buy something, at an antique firearm auction.  All y'all have roped me in!
Currently I do have a very nice English double 15-bore, made mid-19th century, and nicely engraved, per period general designs.  Lovely twist Damascus barrels.  I have acquired appropriate wads and such and have a plentiful supply of 7 1/2 lead birdshot, legal in Ohio!  Can't wait to get out to a range or trap-shoot.  But now, there is a next one!  Don't know where it is at the moment, nor what condition it is in.  But I'll find it, and with my new knowledge, will be fairly well prepared.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline WESTbury

• Marble Mountain central I Corps May 1969
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 12:47:01 AM »
"We are not about to send American Boys 9 to 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian Boys ought to be doing for themselves."
President Lyndon B. Johnson October 21, 1964