Author Topic: UPDATED - JP Beck Rifle…Finally Stained  (Read 3670 times)

Offline archer829

UPDATED - JP Beck Rifle…Finally Stained
« on: February 01, 2022, 06:21:26 PM »
Good morning!  Quite a while ago I posted about my JP Beck build that has spanned 17+ years.  Specifically, I was asking about the carving in my last post:

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=53426.msg534068#msg534068

Well, after more than two years of doing other stuff while waiting for inspiration, I finally started tackling the cheek carving this week and wanted to post an update.  Still working on the modeling, and then I will do the incised lines, but here’s what I’ve got so far:

Here’s a picture of the carving I’m trying to emulate:

Thank you to all who have helped me along the way!  I’m sure I’ll have more questions soon….
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 05:34:10 AM by archer829 »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: JP Beck CARVING - Update
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 06:22:51 PM »
Yes!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 06:27:13 PM »
One thing to consider.  Hope you don't mind.  The cheek piece might be a little tall and too bold.  With this comes the strong transition line that radiates towards the corner of the buttplate.  I think this is often over emphasized.  Look closely at the photo of the original.  You might scrounge up a few originals, with a high cheek and bold transition line, but as a general rule, I think it is often overdone.

If you wanted to lower the cheek and de-emphasize the transition, it's not too late.

With all this said, your rifle looks great!

Jim

Offline archer829

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 06:36:29 PM »
Thank you for the great advice! 

I've actually struggled quite a bit, as far as the final cheek piece architecture is concerned. I want it to look as close to the original as possible, but as I've reduced it to look more and more like the real thing, my rifle has started to fit me slightly worse. 

So I'm torn between having a final product that looks correct or a rifle that fits me like a glove.  I think I'll keep working on a compromise between the two!

Thanks again!  The practice stock I got from you certainly has had elements of this design carved on it quite a few times in the last two years....

Jeff

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 06:53:41 PM »

I've actually struggled quite a bit, as far as the final cheek piece architecture is concerned. I want it to look as close to the original as possible, but as I've reduced it to look more and more like the real thing, my rifle has started to fit me slightly worse. 

So I'm torn between having a final product that looks correct or a rifle that fits me like a glove.  I think I'll keep working on a compromise between the two!

Thanks again!  The practice stock I got from you certainly has had elements of this design carved on it quite a few times in the last two years....

Jeff

I don't think you'll find the rifle fits you any worse with a little smaller cheekpiece.  This is one of those areas that those with less experience tend to not get exactly right.  I would round the transition line a little as well.  Keep up the great work.

Jim

Offline archer829

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 07:04:35 PM »

Jeff

I don't think you'll find the rifle fits you any worse with a little smaller cheekpiece.  This is one of those areas that those with less experience tend to not get exactly right.  I would round the transition line a little as well.  Keep up the great work.

Jim

Thanks!  I will lower it and round the transition.  Jeff

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 07:21:44 PM »
Niice, better than most.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 07:35:27 PM »
Looks great!
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline DavidC

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 08:04:27 PM »
I wonder if one reason the transition to the cheekpieces of original rifles is so gradual isn't because any steep  change means you'll be carving into something like endgrain.

The carving of the original shows how some of the carving is following the angle as you ascend up to the raised section of the cheekpiece. I'm finding, for myself on softer cherry, that this area is difficult to carve.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 08:55:08 PM »
Really nice, smoothly curved lines. Well done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 09:01:19 PM »
By golly I think you got it! Other than the points Kibler made, worth considering. It looks great!
Tom C.

Offline DavidC

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 10:59:02 PM »
The carving looks great but let's not overlook how the buttplate is so crisply fit it almost looks photoshopped.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 12:16:10 AM »
The carving looks great but let's not overlook how the buttplate is so crisply fit it almost looks photoshopped.
That's how they're supposed to look.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 01:16:31 AM »
Jeff, you are doing a fine job with that carving - looks like you have been doing that for 20 years or more.

Had to chuckle at myself when I read Jim Kibler's remarks about the cheek being slightly oversize - I am doing a TC Hawken kit gun, and the cheek piece actually looks like it upside down, due to the "reverse taper", with the cove cut at the top of the cheek.  Really weird, but no way to reverse it.

Keep up that nice carving work; you are quite good at it.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline DavidC

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 03:35:22 AM »
That's how they're supposed to look.

So, well done for him

Offline archer829

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2022, 04:07:56 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the compliments and advice.  I really appreciate it!  Jeff

Offline archer829

Re: UPDATE: JP Beck CARVING
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2022, 07:11:45 AM »
Here’s an update to my update.  Much of the incising is done.  (And let me just say that I’m not a fan of whoever invented incised lines….  ;) )  Only a few of the scariest elements remain.  I also lowered the cheek a bit.

Offline DavidC

Re: NEW UPDATE: JP Beck CARVING
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2022, 01:42:58 PM »
That leaf looks particularly good. Nearly there, it looks like.

Offline geb324

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2022, 04:37:52 PM »
Very nice work!!

Offline pilot

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2022, 05:14:55 PM »
Very nice.  How many of these have you done?

Offline archer829

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2022, 05:39:27 PM »
First one, and it has taken me forever to get it done!  But I'm almost there......

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2022, 09:04:41 PM »
That is really nice work, archer829.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline archer829

Re: DONE! - JP Beck CARVING
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2022, 04:51:13 AM »
Thanks again, everyone, for the comments, suggestions, and compliments! 

I've finally finished the cheek carving for the most part.  Still a bit more cleanup, etc., but I'm mostly done, so it's on to the front of the check piece and then the tang carving.

Here's where I'm at and another picture of the Beck piece I'm trying to emulate:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 04:55:05 AM by archer829 »

Offline PAFlinter

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2022, 05:03:46 AM »
Looks amazing.  What's the rest of the gun look like??

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2022, 06:07:15 AM »
Well done, Jeff!    Best,

Ed
Ed Wenger