Author Topic: Unusual Inlay on well known Lancaster, PA. maker signed rifle  (Read 3155 times)

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
I thought it would be nice to see some Longrifle themed post and photos on this site again.  (I was beginning to think Dennis had changed the site name to "I found this Old Gun.") (laughs)

I only collect and study Longrifles made in North Carolina.  Because of this I don't have a large base of knowledge of Longrifles from other states.

Back in 2018, the ladies at the Charlotte Museum of History called me and requested I come down and talk with a gentleman who brought an old rifle into their museum.

I went down and met with the man and he showed me his rifle. The rifle was signed by a well known Lancaster, PA. maker. I asked him how he acquired the old rifle?

He told me that in the late 1980's he had just got out of college and was looking for a job in Rhode Island. Someone he knew had recently purchased an old house in that state that was full
of junk and trash.  They brought out a 30-foot-long dumpster and hired him to put everything in the house in it.  He filled it up twice.  When he got to the attic of the old house he found an old Longrifle. He thought it might be worth something so it did not go in the dumpster.

I asked if he wanted to have it restored or wanted to sell it?  He was looking to sell so I bought it.

The rifle has an inlay behind the cheek-rest that is unlike anything on an American longrifle.

I have seen images on this site and in books of Pennsylvania rifles with a man's head with a Phrygian Liberty cap carved into the stock in front of the trigger guard.

Can this be what the man in the inlay has on his head?  The rifle he is aiming looks to be a flintlock.

He is wearing a coat (possibly a uniform) and pants, with shoes or moccasins.   

Have any of you ever seen anything like this on a Pennsylvania Longrifle?

I will tell you who made the rifle and provide additional photos of the rifle in the future, but for now want to focus on the inlay.

Thanks,

Michael Briggs
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Unusual Inlay on well known Lancaster, PA. maker signed rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 08:07:01 PM »
Elfin Magic ;D  Nice inlay.  Never seen a similar one.  What does the rest of her look like?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 11:34:40 PM »
There are a number of similar figures of hunters on powder horns, but I haven't seen a silver inlay like this on a rifle. Some New York rifles have rather spindly deer inlays on the butt, but not this figure. Someone must have really had time on their hands to cut/file out such a delicate inlay. Seems [to me] unlikely a gunsmith would make such a time-consuming, or spindly & delicate, inlay; probably a later addition/decoration, perhaps with meaning for the rifle's owner. Too bad his faithful dog is not in the picture.

Shelby Gallien

Offline okieboy

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 11:48:54 PM »
 It reminds me of this weather vane.

Okieboy

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 02:11:28 AM »
WHAT a cool   inlay! Most of the later ones you see are mass  produced. This one is one of a kind. The rifle looks to have a fairly straight but  plate that would make it int he flint period.  RIfle   on inlay looks flint. .  My  guess  would be Dickert.   HE made  them  plain or fancy. INLAy added later by owner .
JIM

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 03:29:48 AM »
The first thing I thought of when I saw that figure's headpiece were those turbans were used to cover shaven heads when someone wanted to take their wig off. Looking at it more closely, though, I think that it is supposed to represent a wig, with the little curls along the side of the temples, or more likely, I think, simple queued hair.

As for the phrygian cap idea, hard to say. The classical depiction of the phrygian cap has the top flopped forwards, not backwards, and not so nearly as long as on this figure. A quick trip through the internet revealed a couple depictions of French revolutionary period figures with it flopped backwards, though I'm not sure that they are contemporary to the events and not later illustrations. Also, there seems to be some disagreement about when the phrygian form was adopted as a symbol of liberty - although the "Liberty Cap" was a symbol of liberty from before the American Revolution, it is possible that its identification with the Phrygian form didn't come about prior to the French Revolution, and the American Revolutionaries thought of it as a plain old conical cap such as Mr. Wilkes is holding here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/William_Hogarth_-_John_Wilkes%2C_Esq.png
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline LynnC

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 09:50:49 AM »
I know it does not really help but my honest first impression is a short rifle wielding man in a night cap.    Very unusual. Probably a Liberty cap interpretation. Just instantly struck me that way.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Algae

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 11:04:42 PM »
Come on Michael, You're TEASING!! ;D

Al J.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 10:30:12 PM »
I don't know what the rest of the rifle looks like but hanging on the wall with just the cheek piece side out would be good enough .
JIM

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 11:45:00 PM »
I thought it would be nice to see some Longrifle themed post and photos on this site again.  (I was beginning to think Dennis had changed the site name to "I found this Old Gun.") (laughs)

I only collect and study Longrifles made in North Carolina.  Because of this I don't have a large base of knowledge of Longrifles from other states.

Back in 2018, the ladies at the Charlotte Museum of History called me and requested I come down and talk with a gentleman who brought an old rifle into their museum.

I went down and met with the man and he showed me his rifle. The rifle was signed by a well known Lancaster, PA. maker. I asked him how he acquired the old rifle?

He told me that in the late 1980's he had just got out of college and was looking for a job in Rhode Island. Someone he knew had recently purchased an old house in that state that was full
of junk and trash.  They brought out a 30-foot-long dumpster and hired him to put everything in the house in it.  He filled it up twice.  When he got to the attic of the old house he found an old Longrifle. He thought it might be worth something so it did not go in the dumpster.

I asked if he wanted to have it restored or wanted to sell it?  He was looking to sell so I bought it.

The rifle has an inlay behind the cheek-rest that is unlike anything on an American longrifle.

I have seen images on this site and in books of Pennsylvania rifles with a man's head with a Phrygian Liberty cap carved into the stock in front of the trigger guard.

Can this be what the man in the inlay has on his head?  The rifle he is aiming looks to be a flintlock.

He is wearing a coat (possibly a uniform) and pants, with shoes or moccasins.   

Have any of you ever seen anything like this on a Pennsylvania Longrifle?

I will tell you who made the rifle and provide additional photos of the rifle in the future, but for now want to focus on the inlay.

Thanks,

Michael Briggs

At first glace the figure really looks  like a man with a short gun wearing a night cap.
But then I thought, why should' nt it be a french voyageur with a mousqueton, and the typical cap?⁸
"tuque de voyageur'' 

https://www.google.com/search?q=french+voyageur+hat&source=hp&ei=kD82YuykMqKMlwSv5ZHYDQ&oq=french+voyageur+hat&gs_lcp=ChFtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1ocBADMgQIABATMggIABAWEB4QEzIICAAQFhAeEBM6EQguEIAEELEDEIMBEMcBENEDOgsILhCABBCxAxCDAToFCAAQgAQ6CwguEIAEEMcBEK8BOgsIABCABBCxAxCDAToFCC4QgAQ6DgguEIAEELEDEMcBEKMCOggIABCABBCxAzoICAAQsQMQgwE6CAguELEDEIMBOggILhCABBCxAzoLCC4QgAQQsQMQ1AI6EAguELEDEIMBEMcBENEDEAo6BAguEBM6BggAEBYQHjoICAAQFhAKEB46CAgAEA0QHhATOgUIIRCgAVDaDViUZ2D8cWgAcAB4AIAB-wKIAaEZkgEIMC4xNy4xLjGYAQCgAQGwAQA&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp#imgrc=V7taJvIjx7I5DM

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 12:17:19 AM »
At first glace the figure really looks  like a man with a short gun wearing a night cap.
But then I thought, why should' nt it be a french voyageur with a mousqueton, and the typical cap?⁸
"tuque de voyageur''
That was my 1st impression as well.  Especially since he is wearing a hunting shirt and mocassins as well.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 12:28:13 AM »
Struck me as Pee Wee Herman with a BB gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 05:47:59 PM »
.............or the Keebler Elf eating an over size fudge bar.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
I want to thank everyone for your kind comments. JDM wins the prize for guessing the Longrifle was made by Dickert.  Okieboy, please let me know if you ever see that weathervane for sale, I would love to buy one.

Below are photos of the rest of the Longrifle.

The engraved powder horn in the photograph was found in a Corner Cupboard in an old house in Rhode Island. It was not found with the Dickert rifle.

C. Michael Briggs

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 07:44:42 PM »
Additional photos.

Sorry it took me a while to follow up, but I was out of state at the Baltimore Antique Gun Show for several days and got to see many collecting friends and share the Dickert and powder horn with them.

Thanks for the interest. Let's keep adding some interesting Longrifles on this site.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 09:44:24 PM »
Thanks Michael! Great commentary and a great rifle. The 'shooter' silver inlay is very interesting and it has some unusual features including what appears to be frontier foot wear of some variety. Thanks again!
Dick

Offline Dutch Blacky

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2022, 11:39:26 PM »
Thanks for the pics of this wonderful Dickert rifle.

Back to the "shooter" silver  inlay. I was looking in the net for voyageurs caps and found variations of this cap with a long tail. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/voyageur-hat

They call it a "Classic Métis style voyageur hat. A functional warm hat – the tail was used to carry small light objects."

So I think  the figure probably  shows a french voyageur.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2022, 02:32:54 AM »
Michael, Thanks for posting that one up. Interesting to say the least, and I would never have thought it a Dickert. Great find!
John
John Robbins

Offline BarryE

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 01:49:16 PM »
I didn’t reply as it would have been cheating.  I got to meet that fellow at the show who had the rifle and horn.  The inlay is most unusual and the rifle is a great example of Dickert’s work.  Could the inlay have been added later by another?

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 11:30:12 PM »
BarryE,
Anything is possible, but there is no way for me to know.  This is how I found it.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2022, 11:25:09 PM »
I wonder if the inlay might have been added at a later date?
Mike Lee

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2022, 01:50:14 AM »
That inlay is clearly a man in nightcap and nightshirt, out to kill the bear that is molesting his piggies.

If indeed Dickert stuck that on the buttstock, he had quite a sense of humor.  More likely by the man who shot the pig-eating bear.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.