Author Topic: Patch sizes  (Read 16679 times)

Daryl

Re: Patch sizes
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »
Good idea - never thought of using my wife's guiollotine cutter for patches.

BrownBear

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 11:34:03 PM »
Not worth anyone's extra expense, but in our studio we have a Rotatrim paper cutter.  Kind of like a roller fabric cutter mounted on a big board with a guide.  I've had problems trying to cut fabric with the guilotine cutter, but that Rotatrim will do ten layers of ticking at once without a hickup.  If you can get near one, it's the best all around patch cutter I've ever tried.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2008, 12:16:31 AM »
I like round patches for shooting and a little larger square patches for cleaning. I make my own cutters for the round patches out of drill rod. Each cutter is about 3 -1/2" long and I reduce one end down to 3/8" X 1" long to fit into a drill press. This leaves about 2-3/8" (+1/8" wall thickness) for the cutter cavity. Next I drill a hole through the stock end to end about 0.200" dia. (this is to push out the stack of patches when cut). I then bore out the cutter cavity to the size I want and then turn down the O.D. to give me about 0.025 wall thickness for the 2-3/8" cutter length. I then harden & temper the cutter and finally sharpen it on the O.D. cutting edge. I apply my patch lube to the material then fold the material or cut it into strips, stack it 20 layers thick X 1 yard long and then turn on the drill press and in ten minuets or so have about 500 patches. Yes I know that it takes a bit of time to make a cutter but you only have to make it once ;) I also make my own jags and size them for the cleaning patch & bore size that I am shooting.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 12:32:12 AM »
Just what brownbear said is why I asked this question originally, patches grabbing the jag. 

And as far as square or round....some are saying square are cheaper than round because you get more per yard.  Am I having a senior moment?  Shouldn't you get the same amount?  A square yard is 1296 square inches so a 1" square or a 1" diameter should yeild 1296 per yard.

Bill

For my purposes squares are cheaper as I can buy the material in bulk and get 10x the patches for the money.

Last patches I bought were $31.75 a 1000 shipped to my door, last time I bought material the cost was $24.80 for 10 yds of material.
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 03:02:27 AM »
I have made different sizes of patch cutters for guys I shoot with, and  members of another forum. I make .750,1.00,1.125,1.250, and 1.500 for the big bore shooters.These sizes seem to fit any need from .32 caliber and up.

I make the tools out of A2 Tool Steel. They are hardened and drawn to 59Rc., and the ends are drawn back to 45 Rc. to avoid chipping them if a metal hammer is used.
I have sold about ten of these so far and everyone seems to be pleased with them. You can cut between 20-30 patches at a time with ease.

The guys that shoot the 50 calibers like the 1.125 & 1.250.

I sell the .750-1.250 for $25.00 to your door, and the 1.500 for $30.00

Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 03:55:13 AM »
Those are special looking patch cutters, Melsdad.
; I take it you to pry the patches out once filled with pre-cuts, as there's not a hole at the top to receive a plunger to shove them back out.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 04:37:46 AM »
Those are special looking patch cutters, Melsdad.
; I take it you to pry the patches out once filled with pre-cuts, as there's not a hole at the top to receive a plunger to shove them back out.

That is correct Daryl. I could easily make them with a hole if anyone wanted it. I use a small chunk of coat hanger with a small bend on the end...works great so far.

Actually the tools in the picture are prototype models. I guess I should take an updated photo of the ones I produce for sale.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:39:55 AM by melsdad »
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Daryl

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »
Cool! looking forward to seeing what you are selling. The proto's look pretty good to me.