Author Topic: Patch sizes  (Read 16686 times)

billd

Patch sizes
« on: August 11, 2008, 01:32:58 AM »
I remember this being on the old board......I want to make some punches for patches. What sizes does everyone consider ideal for .32, .45, .50 and .54?  I can make an individual punch for each size.

Thanks,
Bill

roundball

Re: Patch sizes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 05:46:57 AM »
If its any help, I use the 1+1/8" patch for .45, and use the 1+3/8" patches for both the .50 & .54cals

northmn

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »
I do not know if you have all those calibers or if you plan on going commercial, but a good way to tell is to put a patch strip ball in a barrel and cut it part way off and pop it out to get measurements.  It does not have to be a tight patch.  Most commercial Walmart/Local Sporting goods sotre patches are for 50 cal.  One individual used to cut his patches square.  He shot well enough to win a few prizes here and there at novelty shoots and get deer.

DP

ironwolf

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »
  I use square patches.  I punched out 2 yds. once with a 1 1/4" arch punch.  I then threw out about 4 square feet of drop.  Totally unacceptable for a cheap skate like myself.  Went back to squares with very little waste.  I cut my shooting patches at the muzzle
  I haven't tried recycling my staples yet, but I did wash a batch of used cleaning patches the other day for the first time.

KW

billd

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 04:22:49 PM »
No,  not going commericial, just for my own use. 

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 05:19:17 PM »
I tried using a punch to punch those little round devils years ago and got tired of nutzing around with that routine.  Partly cut then sit with a scissors to finish the patch cutting.   Phooey I say ::)

I cut the material in strips and cut 'em at the muzzle :)

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 05:59:04 PM »
I want to make some punches for patches. What sizes does everyone consider ideal for .32, .45, .50 and .54?

.30-.39  .75 diameter
.40-.49  1.13 diameter
.50-.58  1.38 diameter
.60-.69  1.52 diameter
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Leatherbelly

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 05:08:32 PM »
  Go to your local wheel and front -end shop. Ask for used wheel bearing races.Pick the size you want,id.Next find a large ball bearing ball.Place your patch material on race,place ball bearing ball on fabric and race and hit the ball with a 16oz. hammer.Perfect pre-cut patches. BTW,you don't have to smash the hammer down on the ball,just one sharp tap. Try it!
edit: I look for a size for my .62. Because the race is tapered,the small size works perfect for other calibers.cheers
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:14:21 PM by Leatherbelly »

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 05:27:18 PM »
Taylor, Lennard and I also use bearing races to cut patches.  Some have a taper into the hole, and need a bit of grinding to sharpen the edges a bit, but they work very well, much better than cutting squares with sizzors.  I find when using pre-lubed patches or even spit patches, it is much more convenient to use pre-cuts than stips of cloth. Granted, there is more waste, but not much if done with a plan.

Taylor has a 'round' of spurce in his bacement that his anvil sits on.  On the anvil which is a section of 135 pound railway rail inverted and welded to a base he lays his 'race', and sits on a chair faving the anvil.  He takes a wide stip of cloth and carefully cuts 5 patches along one seam, scores the cloth and rips off that section the length of the cloth - usually a meter in length.  He knows this wide strip of cloth will cut 5 patches per row. It also gives a method of keeping track of the number of patches (if necessary).  This way, there is very little waste, done with a bit of care, no more than using a strip of cloth and cutting at the muzzle.

Other methods are with a cutter chucked in a drill press, run at about 1,000rpm - perhaps more.  This cuts patches more quickly, and multi-layers can be done, like cutting 20 patches on one pass.  Using an arch punch on about 10 layers of cloth, the way I used to cut patches for everything and still do for the .69 when I borrow it back, is also an alternative and with by using the newer 'plastic' (UHMW-HDPE) cutting boards works well. Used to cut patches on a lead sheet, then throw away the bottom patch, every time. Didn't like the idea of sticking the bottom patch in my mouth - OK for pre-lubed, though.

The bearing race and ball bearing is simple, takes up little space to pack and can be easily used at rondy if you run out.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 02:00:23 AM »
Finding the correct size of patch for your rifle or pistol is easy.  If yoy have a piece of rifle barrel of the same calibre, even easier.  Let's use .50 cal for example.  Take a piece of your material and place it over the muzzle.  Start the ball flush with the muzzle and cut off the patch.  Now push out the patched ball from the other end of the barrel stub, or if your rifle, pull it with a ball puller.  The patch will not be perfectly round, but it doesn't matter.  Measure the patch and there you have it.

Now find a bearing race that is the same diameter as the patch you just made, and a ball bearing that is bigger.  I use a 1 1/2" ball bearing on all my cutter/races.  I have purchased them (about $8 - when I wanted to make up a prize of the ball and race, and have scored many from a friend who works at a motor rewinding business here in town. The rest has been covered.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Frank

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 03:04:09 AM »
I buy ticking or pocket drill from Joann fabrics and cut it into squares. Works just as good as round patches.

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 03:11:26 AM »
Pathes cut at the muzzle end up on the ground quite square.  I have done/still do cut patches at the muzle periodically, when testing patch material.  Due to being larger than pre-cuts (my stud seats them 1/8" to 3/16" below the surface of the muzzle) normally are, they are easier to find. I think it's a 1" race that I use for .40 and .45 cal. Taylor used some of mine last session in his .50 and they fit just fine.

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 07:25:11 AM »
I use squares,
Lay out the material folded once or twice depending on thickness and borrow the wifes fabric cutter (roller) and board, I cut 1 1/4" or so for 50 cal. and can do up about a 1000 in 30 mins or so.
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Offline sonny

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 03:34:20 PM »
I never tried a square patch?!?!?........did anybody ever run a test of round patch compaired to square patch for matching accuracy?...sonny

ironwolf

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »
  I only use the squares for cleaning.  Shooting patches, cut at the muzzle become a ragged roundish square. 
  I think we've discussed accuracy differences in square to round ad nauseum.  Most feel there is no difference since the patch only influences the ball while both are engaged in the rifling.

Kev

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 05:37:25 PM »
Sonny - patches but square and patches cut at the muzzle are virtually identical when picked up on the ground.  That alone should tell you that square patches are the most accurate.  The real question should be, are pre-cut round patches as accurate as square patches or patches cut at the muzzle. The answer to that is yes - at least in every rifle I've ever tested - that's a bunch, but possibly there's a rifle somewhere that prefers round to cut at the muzzle or square.

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 04:52:30 PM »
The other advantage to square patches is cost, $3 a hundred for round factory dry patches, I can get about 750 1 1/4" patches out of a square yard of material, even the expensive denim runs only about $2.50 a yard.

The industry sold us the idea of nice round patches because if they sold square patches we may figure it out. ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 04:53:50 PM by Tom Cooper »
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »
The other advantage to square patches is cost, $3 a hundred for round factory dry patches, I can get about 750 1 1/4" patches out of a square yard of material, even the expensive denim runs only about $2.50 a yard.

The industry sold us the idea of nice round patches because if they sold square patches we may figure it out. ;)
Exactly - It's called marketing ::)

roundball

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 05:36:25 PM »
I've used a couple hundred square patches and saw no difference whatsoever...its easy to just cut, lube, and try a few yourself at the range.

AND...I don't worry about excess patch sizes...just for the heck of it, I had one of those huge TC 2.5" cleaning & seasoning patches laying on the table...sticky with warm NL1000 lube...I centered a .490 in it and stubbed it in...then folded all the excess material back and forth over the top of the ball like you'd fold a coin wrapper, and seated it down.
It center shot the target like all the others and the huge patch flared like a parachute at muzzle exit, fluttering to the ground just a few feet in front of the muzzle, closer than a normal size patch landed...so in the case of a rifled bore, apparently "size doesn't matter" either.

BrownBear

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 07:00:10 PM »
I'm probably showing my ignorance (first time ever- honest!) or flaws in my routine, but I have one problem with oversize or square patches.  I keep jags on the end of my rods for convenience when swabbing while shooting.  If you get much patching at all above the ball while seating, the jag wants to grab it, and I worry about unseating the ball from the charge as I withdraw the rod. 

Sure, I can make sure all that extra patching is folded down over the ball before I seat, but it's an extra step.  Since my shooting is mostly hunting prep, I try to eliminate extra fiddly steps I might forget in the heat of a hunt.  All that extra patching just seems like too much bother. 

Maybe I'm cutting red tape lengthwise, but I just don't like the extra patching.  When I cut square patching (roller cutter like the others here) I'm pretty careful about keeping dimensions down to a minimum.  I really like the results of cutting at the muzzle, even if that too is pretty fiddly.  For hunts I cut at the muzzle for the load going into the gun at start of day, plus I "cut at the muzzle" when filling my loading block.

Am I being a bit anal in worrying about the jag grabbing all that extra patching above the ball if I'm not careful to fold it down out of the way before seating?

billd

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 07:11:33 PM »
Just what brownbear said is why I asked this question originally, patches grabbing the jag. 

And as far as square or round....some are saying square are cheaper than round because you get more per yard.  Am I having a senior moment?  Shouldn't you get the same amount?  A square yard is 1296 square inches so a 1" square or a 1" diameter should yeild 1296 per yard.

Bill

roundball

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 08:48:05 PM »
If you get much patching at all above the ball while seating, the jag wants to grab it, and I worry about unseating the ball from the charge as I withdraw the rod. 

Sure, I can make sure all that extra patching is folded down over the ball before I seat, but it's an extra step.  Since my shooting is mostly hunting prep, I try to eliminate extra fiddly steps I might forget in the heat of a hunt.  All that extra patching just seems like too much bother. 
;D  I didn't mean I use 2.5" size patches ALL the time  ;D
I was just relating one example I did that suggests excess material will not cause a problem...REASONABLE excess material...in case someone was considering square patches but is worried that the corners might constitute excess material and cause a problem.  I actually use .58cal patches for .50 & .54cals and have never had the jag grab the patch like you're mentioning.

I have 4-5 stainless steel short starters (with muzzle guides) each of which has a different caliber size brass cup face on it...one time at the range I did pick up the wrong short starter and when I started a .45cal ball it grabbed the pillow ticking and tried to pull the ball back up, but I had an oversize starter tip for the caliber...only time it's ever happened, at least to me.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:00:32 PM by roundball »

Daryl

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »
The rod tip on my short starter is oversize to the point that my patches are grabbed by it. The stud on the side of my starter ball puts the ball far enough below the muzzle that the starter shaft automatically folds the exess over the ball and seats it down without grabbing. The rod with a 'jag' will do the same.
; For those who don't use a starter to be 'period correct' really shouldn't have a jag on the end of the rod.
; For those who don't use a starter because that's how loose their combination is and have a jag, you'll just have to use smaller patches.
; This starter has the 'stud' on one end for putting the patched ball just under the crown.  The starter's end therefore doesn't grab the patch.  the large holes is for inserting the rod into, for the last 1/4' push to seat the ball ont he powder with the same pressure each shot. That is one aspect of loading that makes velocity spreads very low.  Consistancy, though art a jewel - especially in loading a ML rifle.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 08:55:11 PM by Daryl »

roundball

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 09:03:30 PM »

And as far as square or round....some are saying square are cheaper than round because you get more per yard.  Am I having a senior moment?  Shouldn't you get the same amount?  A square yard is 1296 square inches so a 1" square or a 1" diameter should yeild 1296 per yard.

Bill
You're not having a senior moment...if you punch out a row round patches, you'll have a worthless 'lattice' of material left over to throw away.
If you cut rows of square patches there will be nothing to throw away.
Used the same amount of material in either case

Overhill

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 09:23:41 PM »
I have been using a guiollotine style paper cutter for years to cut both shooting and cleaning patches.

The cutting board has measurements built in so sizing the patches is easy. I can cut several thicknesses of cloth at a time. It only takes a few minutes to make a lot of patches and there is little if any waste.

This type of cutter is inexpensive and of course can still be used for cutting paper.