Author Topic: English double Rook rifle 1857 in coming  (Read 3473 times)

Offline J.M.Browning

Re: English double Rook rifle 1857 in coming
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2022, 04:13:46 AM »
Thank you I may have a local guy I trust assist . Although any info is greatly appreciated!
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2022, 02:46:27 PM »
I have seen and made these fancy locks that when the hammer is all the way down the link is WAY below the lock plate.
Half cocked should give more that enough clearance to remove them from the stock.
It looks like botched workmanship but when the locks are on the gun the nipple height will stop the travel of the hammers.
When I stopped lock making nearly 3 years ago I was making a small "4 pin" Stanton style rook rifle lock with a "Bar in Wood" plate style.
I saw it yesterday on the back corner of my bench.
We hope the surgery goes well.I don't mind the cutting but am skeptical of the anesthesia :o.
Bob Roller

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2022, 07:13:37 PM »
Good chance this gun was cased once upon a time. If it no longer is, you might be able to find one that is suitable to accommodate the gun and the equipment that it must have had. Beautiful piece done as only the English can. Thank you for the photos. 
Dick

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2022, 02:16:33 AM »

First shoot .
Thank you Boone , Glass with all the contemplate I read with todays (shooter's lightly taken as such) , you keep things simple .

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2022, 02:26:59 AM »
Pretty neat  to think that King Edward VII also shot that rifle.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2022, 10:26:27 AM »
I have got to ask the question  moderator with no offence The gun  which is a top quality  and English  by a first class maker  is not a long rifle  so why is it allowed and not other none long rifle. Hope every one understands that I am not  making trouble  only need a   answer.
Feltwad

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2022, 02:26:47 PM »
I have got to ask the question  moderator with no offence The gun  which is a top quality  and English  by a first class maker  is not a long rifle  so why is it allowed and not other none long rifle. Hope every one understands that I am not  making trouble  only need a   answer.
Feltwad
Good question! My personal approach to finding the line of allowable firearms is to try to keep the focus on the longrifle and (believe it or not) try in my own way to not be overly strict. In this case I find double percussion shotguns to be part of the American firearms experience during the longrifle era. It would not be unusual in 1840 for a family to have a longrifle and a percussion double.
Andover, Vermont

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2022, 03:14:27 PM »
So if I posted a Percussion Shotgun ok , being its a double rifle ? Im also fine if the moderators see fit to remove the thread .
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 03:18:12 PM by J.M.Browning »

Offline RAT

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2022, 03:20:33 PM »
The American longrifle evolved from... and was constantly influenced by... other types of arms from other places. We NEED to study these other arms to understand, learn, and appreciate the longrifle. To limit knowledge is to strive for ignorance. I'm here to learn.
Bob

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »
So if I posted a Percussion Shotgun ok , being its a double rifle ? Im also fine if the moderators see fit to remove the thread .
I think of guns of that period as branches on a tree with a lot of forks. We don’t have a precise 3-D map of the tree but we’ve been studying it a while. Some things are clearly on the other side of the tree. Some are closer. Depending on one’s angle, some twigs may appear close together to one fella, whereas another person standing somewhere else has a different perspective. It’s not precise or perfect. The moderators have worked on lists, descriptions and so on but it’s just not that easy or important to define what is on the periphery. If someone is primarily interested in something on the periphery, they might understand it’s peripheral, and when some things in their primary area of interest get ruled as out of bounds - hopefully remember this forum is not primarily about the periphery.

That was verbose but I didn’t have time to be concise.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2022, 04:45:04 PM »
I do not wish to detract from this very valuable thread, but would like to say I can not see why my old  friend Feltwad caught it in the neck for posting his double percussion gun, and others do not.
Consistency is all I ask.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2022, 05:37:40 PM »
The American longrifle evolved from... and was constantly influenced by... other types of arms from other places. We NEED to study these other arms to understand, learn, and appreciate the longrifle. To limit knowledge is to strive for ignorance. I'm here to learn.
Thanks to the late Lynton McKenzie and Tom Dawson I had unlimited access to some fine guns with fine locks and was able to study and to the best of my ability,copy them.Had I been denied that courtesy,I could never had made any of them and I think about 40 of the match rifle locks and 8 rook rifle sizes were made by me.I am glad I was not denied and in 1987 I made my first copy of the "4 pin"Stanton.The man that bought it for $250 was R.E.Davis who was making locks then.He said he was glad I was doing these and I told him it was my only demonstrator and he said "Demonstrate it all you want but make sure I get it before you go home."I did show it and he DID get it back.
I think the last of my "4pins" went to Canada but I'm not sure and maybe for a "rook"rifle.I am looking forward to seeing the locks on this great little sxs,Bob Roller
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 07:33:04 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2022, 05:45:04 PM »
Are the barrels rifled or smoothbore?
Mark Thomas

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2022, 06:10:15 PM »
Probably both rifled and regulated for a particular load to hopefully make "snake eyes"maybe at 50 yards.It does have rifle sights.
Bob Roller

Offline okawbow

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2022, 06:16:21 PM »
I’m glad you posted this little rifle. As far as the rules go, this rifle has traits that influence American longrifles and I believe belongs in this forum. It is a rifle, not a shotgun. It has sights, a cheek piece and rifling.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline RAT

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2022, 10:55:19 PM »
I like this rifle. I like it's features... the detailed photos (always wish for more of those)... I like it's history... and I especially like the cat! Keep posting. I appreciate the folks who post the stuff I wouldn't normally have the opportunity to see out here in the mountains.
Bob

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2022, 01:01:59 AM »
I enjoy these guns, and Feltwad has put up some very interesting ones over the years!

Besides, American Long Rifles are getting pretty scarce around here anyway.
John Robbins

Offline J.M.Browning

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2022, 03:55:13 AM »
The rifle is rifled .

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2022, 08:38:24 PM »
I enjoy these guns, and Feltwad has put up some very interesting ones over the years!

Besides, American Long Rifles are getting pretty scarce around here anyway.

Yes I agree  I have entered different ignitions on these forums some that member's had never heard of nor seen ,but things now for myself have changed and I must look at a entry and think will it be logged and why bother maybe it is an infringement of me   because I am from the other side of the pond  we are all muzzle loaders
Feltwad
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 04:03:43 AM by Ky-Flinter »