Author Topic: Need to buy a stock  (Read 3271 times)

New2this

Need to buy a stock
« on: October 18, 2009, 08:10:25 PM »
Hi all-
Could someone point me in the right direction as to where I can get a precarved maple, inletted for an L&R lock and a green mountain barrel? I know TOW and Pecatonica sell these, but are they recommended? Thanks for the help!

Offline Tommy Bruce

Re: Need to buy a stock
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »
If you have a straight barrel you should be fine with either company.  Sometimes the lock is inlet to back a little and the barrel needs moved back.  When doing this with a swamped barrel it can sometimes leave a gap.  If you are using a swamped barrel send it to pecotonica and they can inlet it for you so it's a tight fit. 
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »
You may as well just go right to Pecatonica, as TOW sends most of their stuff to Pec anyway, so you will cut the time an cost down some.  As has been said if it's a straight barrel, no problem, as you can adjust to where they cut the lock in.  You may need to adjust the placement of the barrel front to back, or lower it, since you won't be able to move the lock position.  Don't let me scare you, as we are only talking an 1/8 inch or less of adjustment.  Pecatonica puts out a good product, and a number of suppliers use them.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:40:06 PM »
As you are looking for a pre-carved I didn't say anything in my first post but thought I might go ahead and add to the conversation, I picked up a maple stock with a swamped barrel inlet and the ramrod channel cut by pecatonica and they did a great job with it.  You might also check out Dave Keck of Knob Mountain muzzleloading.  He doesn't inlet his locks though.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 12:05:55 AM »
A custom maker like Dave Keck will take your barrel and inlet it so it is a perfect fit. If you told where you are in your profile, someone might know a place near you to get it done.

DTCoffin

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 12:26:05 AM »
I'm not sure of the precarve parameters available.But you might look at tiger hunt.i'm not sure if we're spose to post websites but if you google  "tiger hunt" you'll prob find them.

New2this

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 05:47:18 AM »
Thanks, everyone for the information. Sorry I don't have a location posted in my profile yet, still trying to learn how to use the forum and time being what it is I haven't gotten around to it. I will look into pecatonica. Thanks again  8)

Berks Liberty

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 01:40:02 PM »
I've bought two stocks this year from Tiger Hunt.  Mike Barton will cut the barrel channel and ramrod for $60 extra bucks and I think his prices are fair.  I had both stocks done in Octagon to Round in a Colerain Profile. The barrel fit really tight but with a little sanding it fit nice.  Really happy with the work.  Try looking him up on the internet. 

Jason