Author Topic: Gunmaker Fred E Kern  (Read 753 times)

Offline Wishbone

• Starting Member
  • Be Humble - Don't Stumble
Gunmaker Fred E Kern
« on: May 03, 2022, 04:34:22 PM »
At the Hawken Classic this last weekend an individual asked if I would try to help him learn anything about the builder of a contemporary longrifle he owned, with the name "Fred E Kern" on the top flat of the barrel.  The inscription on the patchbox indicates the rifle as possibly being built in 1976.  He later sent to me some photos of the rifle, which are attached.   I did some basic research and Fred Kern was not listed on the current roles of the CLA membership.  No other info was located on the internet re that name associated with longrifle building.

Any info re Fred E Kern would be appreciated, to share with him.  Thanks in advance.
Wishbone

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Gunmaker Fred E Kern
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 04:58:38 PM »
I would suspect Mr. Kern is no longer with us as that gun is almost 50 years old. It's very nice for 1976, Mr. Kern knew what he was doing. That barrel tang is freakishly long!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
Re: Gunmaker Fred E Kern
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 08:16:38 PM »
I have a Jaeger built by a Craig Kern.  I wonder if they are/were related.