Author Topic: Conestoga-marked double barrel flintlock - a reminiscence  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Bruce in WV

• Starting Member
Conestoga-marked double barrel flintlock - a reminiscence
« on: May 13, 2022, 04:54:54 PM »
I was fortunate growing up with a Dad who was a longrifle gun nut.
As a teenager in the 1930's he was a traveling salesman for his father's plumbing supply house in Utica, New York. He drove every back road in mid- and upper New York state, stopping at every farm and small town general store to take orders. He always asked if they had any old guns that they'd like to sell.
Times were hard for country folk and the chance to sell grandpa's old farm rifle in the back of a closet or the corner of the kitchen for some cash money must have been almost irresistible!
We had about 100 of the best ones, mostly percussion, displayed in a big double-door, 2 level rack. There were some special flinters mixed in. The one I remember best is a double barrel, side by side, flintlock rifle in a large caliber( don't remember what, but I could stick a 10 year olds finger down the barrel). I remember him telling me it was a treasure, marked "Conestoga Rifle Works", the only one he'd ever seen or heard of. It came off a farm somewhere along the lower Hudson, and he'd given a whole $10 for it back in the day. It was in pretty good condition, too, best I can remember.
That collection got broken up and sold off in the early 60's to pay for 3 boys going to college. He kept his collection of rolling block and drop block single shot target rifles until they moved into assisted living, but he often talked about the long rifles and the fun he had collecting along the backroads in his Dad' s Model T..
I often wonder what happened to the jewel of his collection - that Conestoga rifle works double barrel flintlock.

ETA: did some research and found the following entry in the earmi.it list of US makers.

"CONESTOGA RIFLE WORKS
 Trademark of Henry E. Leman, Lan caster, Pa., 1834-1887; used on inferior or flawed products. Mark ing reported on flintlock and percussion Kentucky rifles, rifle locks, trap gun."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:43:00 PM by Bruce in WV »
Yankee refugee living in the free state of WV

Offline Bill Paton

Re: Conestoga-marked double barrel flintlock - a reminiscence
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 09:40:12 AM »
Bruce,
I can’t help you with this double rifle, but wanted you to know that I have been ferreting out Kentucky double rifles for twenty years for research purposes. Side by side Flintlock Kentuckys are very uncommon, and out of 200+ Kentucky doubles I have studied and photographed, only three are side by side flintlocks. The Conestoga double regretably is not one I have seen.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Conestoga-marked double barrel flintlock - a reminiscence
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 01:03:40 AM »
A very interesting rifle.WHEN will we get to see the double "Rook"rifle shown a while back? Is it still in transit or?????
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 03:17:45 PM by Bob Roller »