Author Topic: Rococo Jaeger. trigger guard photos added  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Rococo Jaeger. trigger guard photos added
« on: May 18, 2022, 05:44:24 PM »
Here is a very nice Rococo decorated Jaeger in the Suhl tradition. It is unsigned.

lexus rc 0 to 60

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 12:18:47 AM by Ron Scott »

Offline smoke and flames

Re: Rococo Jaeger
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 09:15:05 PM »
Classy beautiful rifle

Offline alacran

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 01:47:17 PM »
Those are very nice mounts, had to be forged and chiseled and then the background gilded or inlayed with gold.
The inletting is much better than most of the fancy mountings you see on a lot of jaegers.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Otto

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 06:14:08 PM »
Wow, I missed this when you first posted. What a great piece. The builder(s) had a good eye for balance; fancified, but not over done. Very tasteful. I don't think i have seen any furniture that shares some of the elements that this has.(or has that same "look" is what I'm trying to say). I particularly like the entry pipe and side plate. I like this piece a lot. It really speaks to me. Any chance of a view of the trigger guard?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 09:42:43 PM »
Even though greatly embellished in many spots, this gun has an understated quality that would earn it a place in any discerning collector's prized possessions. It is just a beauty! Everything about it is superb. Thank you for showing it here. I am sure that it has brought a lot of please to many who have looked at it. This maker's work likely bespoke his identity. Too bad we don't know who he was, today.
Dick

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 02:41:17 AM »
I will post a photo of the trigger guard when the rifle arrives and I can get additional photos. I have two other Jaegers that share similar Rococo art.

Offline Ron Scott

Re: Rococo Jaeger. trigger guard photos added
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 12:19:56 AM »
I have added two photos of the trigger guard.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 01:41:17 AM »
isn't somebody going to complain that this isn't a  KY rifle? ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 04:03:28 AM »
Isn't this one 'grandfathered' in?
Dick

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 04:39:24 AM »
Isn't this one 'grandfathered' in?
Dick
More so than English or belgian guns?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Otto

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2022, 06:15:58 PM »
I won't wade in on the issue of how "un" American it is, BUT this is a great rifle and I'm honored to see it. Thanks for the update.

Offline DavidC

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 02:37:40 AM »
I think there are enough stupidly "artsy" guns in American hands today that we can call the most over-the-top Jaeger an "American" gun ahead of its time. This is far from the gaudiest Jaeger out there; you can still see the wood grain and un-engraved metal.

Here's a classic of modern "American" rifles: https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/muzzleloading-rifles-custom/early-pennsylvania-50-caliber.cfm?gun_id=101483075

Is this rifle going to be the basis for a future class or set of castings available for purchase?

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 03:59:01 PM »
I am undecided about offering castings for sale. My current plan is for the 2023 NMLRA Seminar, is a class focused on the Rocco Jaegers of Thuringia and Suhl. There are three variations of this form that I can provide for study and use as models. I currently have castings from two of the three Rococo Jaegers, one round toe and the other a more traditional flat toe

Offline DavidC

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 08:17:07 AM »
Are their any posts or photographs you could link to regarding the Jaegers you have in mind? I'm assuming these rifles are in your personal collection if you're using them for castings and reference. I would very much like to take one of your classes or find someone skilled in engraving/chiselling to teach me how to make the most of high quality castings. I'm afraid that at this point I would be wasting your castings by not doing them justice with cleanup and secondary methods (plating or cleaning up the details of a casting).

Pittsburgh feels like such a dead zone for access to builders who like to teach, as well as not getting all that much love for its historic guns.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2022, 05:02:50 PM »
David,  I do workshops here (Albany Oregon) for groups of four, a few times each year. My engraving room has a Leica microscope with video that provides an excellent teaching opportunity. I plan the workshops for five days, which is a pretty good duration to learn and execute work on intricate metal work. I will get some photos of the Jaegers mentioned grouped together for comparison.

Offline Nailcreek

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 03:52:19 AM »
I am undecided about offering castings for sale. My current plan is for the 2023 NMLRA Seminar, is a class focused on the Rocco Jaegers of Thuringia and Suhl. There are three variations of this form that I can provide for study and use as models. I currently have castings from two of the three Rococo Jaegers, one round toe and the other a more traditional flat toe

Ron, when might you have more information available about the seminar in 2023?

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 06:50:19 AM »
The web site for the seminars is      https://www.nmlra.org/nmlra-gunsmithing-seminar
I will be submitting my proposal for next years seminar  very soon and will have one of the rifles at the NMLRA seminar table at the CLA show.