Author Topic: Unsigned PA rifle  (Read 1461 times)

Offline utseabee

Unsigned PA rifle
« on: May 21, 2022, 02:37:48 AM »
   Several members here plus others at the Martinsburg show have suggested Kuntz Familiy.

The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline utseabee

Re: Unsigned PA rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 02:38:35 AM »

Offline utseabee

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 02:39:50 AM »

Sorry about the quality of the pictures

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 03:01:28 PM »
That’s a special one. I’m anxious to hear more about it. Any chance of a new set of photos?  Thanks
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 06:45:03 PM »
Certainly got my attention, not sure who it is, but I like it. Great find, thanks for sharing.

Buck

Offline utseabee

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 08:08:11 PM »
That’s a special one. I’m anxious to hear more about it. Any chance of a new set of photos?  Thanks

The photos from my phone suck, so I need to find a better way to get some. I will have it with me next month, for you to look at.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 10:27:05 PM »
   Several members here plus others at the Martinsburg show have suggested Kuntz Familiy.

Has that flavour, doesn't it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 10:33:54 PM »
I'll be the odd man out.  I know this one for quite some time has been assumed to be some kind of Kuntz, possibly.  I can 'see' that to a marginal degree, but I would suggest an association with the Young family, John Young in particular.  I am not basing this solely on the well-known and published signed John Young, but also a couple that are unsigned that I am personally convinced are John Young.  So Kuntz or Young?  Opposite sides of old NH county.  Dick Vandenberg used to have better pictures of this on his site, I think.  He sent me a bunch a long time ago, will see if I can find them.  It was published in one of Whisker's books also.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 11:39:53 PM »
My first thought was also that it was not Kuntz’s work but I can’t put my thoughts together on it. It just doesn’t have the look to me.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline utseabee

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2022, 12:08:48 AM »
I'll be the odd man out.  I know this one for quite some time has been assumed to be some kind of Kuntz, possibly.  I can 'see' that to a marginal degree, but I would suggest an association with the Young family, John Young in particular.  I am not basing this solely on the well-known and published signed John Young, but also a couple that are unsigned that I am personally convinced are John Young.  So Kuntz or Young?  Opposite sides of old NH county.  Dick Vandenberg used to have better pictures of this on his site, I think.  He sent me a bunch a long time ago, will see if I can find them.  It was published in one of Whisker's books also.

The Young family was also suggested to me last night. Do you know which one of Whisker's book this may have been in? I had the rifle for about a year and the carving is what attracted me to it.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2022, 04:12:57 PM »
The Young family had crossed my mind as well, the engraving on this rifle is similar to the Young rifles of JDM. I haven't seen enough Young rifles to make an opinion. Still, great rifle.

Buck

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2022, 05:14:18 PM »
The book this is pictured in is " Early American Flintlocks " by Hartzler & Whisker.  They think Kuntz or associate. I personally don't think it's Kuntz or Young. my opinion the engraving doesn't look like either one nor the architecture . Maybe Adam Ebert or a less prolific maker of quality rifles. It would be fun to pin down the maker . Even if we never know it's a nice rifle from Eastern Pa.  I'm a little envious of the owner.  Jim
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 10:05:15 PM by jdm »
JIM

Offline utseabee

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2022, 11:11:45 PM »
The book this is pictured in is " Early American Flintlocks " by Hartzler & Whisker.  They think Kuntz or associate. I personally don't think it's Kuntz or Young. my opinion the engraving doesn't look like either one nor the architecture . Maybe Adam Ebert or a less prolific maker of quality rifles. It would be fun to pin down the maker . Even if we never know it's a nice rifle from Eastern Pa.  I'm a little envious of the owner.  Jim

Thank you for the info on the book,