Author Topic: "Unsigned" Suhl Jaeger... recent auction  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Nailcreek

"Unsigned" Suhl Jaeger... recent auction
« on: May 23, 2022, 05:26:57 AM »
What appears to be the Shumway "Unsigned" Suhl Jaeger seems to have recently come up in an auction.  While I've reached out to the auction house, asking them to pass along a request for more photos, if someone knows the new owner, I'd welcome an introduction.  Thanks!

Offline Ron Scott

Re: "Unsigned" Suhl Jaeger... recent auction
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 03:48:25 PM »
It is an interesting rifle. Was this sold through last weeks Lewis and Grant auction?

Offline Nailcreek

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 03:46:38 AM »
It is an interesting rifle. Was this sold through last weeks Lewis and Grant auction?

Yes ... I've reached out to the auction house, asking to pass along my contact information to see if the new owner would be open to taking some additional photos and measurements.  It does fit the photos in the Shumway article.  I'm kind of kicking myself for missing the auction!

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 12:37:08 PM »
Is that lock typical of Suhl jaeger?
Bob

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 03:53:17 PM »
Is that lock typical of Suhl jaeger?
I believe so. But it isn't the same as a chambers Virginia lock if that's what you are thinking.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline FALout

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 01:16:52 AM »
No Mike,  too many irons in the fire at the present moment.  I don’t really know much about Jeagers and don’t remember see any with a round pan and rounded plate.  Sure is a nice piece tho.
Bob

Offline Jakob

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 01:43:09 AM »
Rounded pans/faces appear more common in the later half of the 17th century, but it appears to vary a lot depending on area & maker.