Author Topic: Portable shooting bench  (Read 8253 times)

Offline Longknife

Portable shooting bench
« on: August 11, 2008, 07:24:39 PM »
Any one have any plans for a portable shooting bench???? Thanks, Ed
Ed Hamberg

BrownBear

Re: Portable shooting bench
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 08:22:30 PM »
The best I've actually used and seen is this one.  In my experience the legs are the biggest hassle in portables, not only for stability, but also in terms of the hassle in erecting, breaking down and transporting.  Though not home-built legs, this one sure beats those problems.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 10:26:12 PM »
Try going to "nmlra.org" and check the for sale forum. Someone has been advertising a nice looking bench for quite a while.
Mark
Mark

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 10:41:14 PM »
I have none; but the portable benches I see at Bl Mt shooting club in the bench shooting section are 4 to 5 in thick solid plank tops with screw in opposing angle galvanized steel legs (abt 1 1/2 in dia.).  The rifle rests upon an adjustable rest for shooting for height!  Estimated width of the plank is about 15 inches more or less.

When I shoot bench I kneel at said bench cause I do believe praying can't hurt.

I hear about it but let 'em holler! ;D

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:33:54 AM »
Here's a couple benchs that are easily portable. The tops are about 4' long and the legs are the $20.00 folding legs we get at Canadian Tire stores or other hardware stores.  The bench is about 28" wide with a 12 to 15" deep cuttout so you can sit behind or beside your rifle. Some guys cut out both sides for either hand, but that means your elbows have narrow or no support, very important when shooting. Oh, sorry about the rifles pictured - not quite PC
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 12:24:32 AM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline ehoff

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »
If you can get ahold of the current copy of the "Backwoodsman" magazine there is a nice portable shooting bench plan in there. The nice thing is its made entirely of wood. I've been scroungeing parts to build one.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 01:37:59 AM »
Both of the ones above are made from 3/4" ply with collapsable legs.

dickert54cal

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 02:46:45 AM »
Im looking to build one as well. Im tireds of shooting off the picnic table---or ay least my wife says so!  ;D

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 03:12:29 AM »
 Dickert - ;D ;D ;D ;D  shooting off a real bench is much better than about any improvisation.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 04:43:03 PM »
Thank Guys, I just happen to have a set of those table legs and some plywood, I'm half way there already!!!!...Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline LynnC

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 06:10:38 PM »
Cool benches Daryl - How bout some ruff top dimensions?  Any thing you'd change if you made another longrifle specific?  Thanks..........................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 08:24:44 PM »
Lynn - were I to make a bench for both modern and ML's, I'd build it to allow a muzzle rest, in other words, long enough to have a 'chunk' rest at the front. Measuring up a 'chunk-gun with typical length of barrel and building the bench long enough so the butt is a good 12" from the rear of the table would work.  The greater the distance between the legs, the more sturdy the bench will be, providing the legs are fairly stout.  Being able to sight a gun for a muzzle rest is important if you participate in 'scoring' chunk matches.  The point of impact from the bench and from prone should be the same if the barrel is rested identical from each respective postion.  My bench has a handle cut out of it's side at the balance point. This is more than slightly handy for carrying as if your mitt is big enough, you can carry the rifle and the bench in one hand.

Measurements- why, give me a second and I'll measure mine. - OK - 24 wide X 42" long.  The cuttout is 19" long starting at the rear of the bench and is X 5" deep. In making antoher, I'd make that 7" deep to allow the chest (heart) to easily clear it.  My guestimations above were a bit off. So goes the memory, sometimes.  A 5 1/2 foot bench should handle most longrifles?  The reason to clear the chest is to prevent the heart from bouncing the sights.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 06:33:03 PM »
Great info Daryl - I've got the parts - Now if I had just a little extra time!
Thanks................................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 08:47:32 PM »
Let's all of us be careful here not to fall in to the lazy shooters habits ???

i.e spending too much time sitting on our butts at a bench to shoot and failing to practice the offhand position. ::)