Author Topic: question about Charles Cheney of Allegheny Co. and his associations  (Read 823 times)

Offline DavidC

I have the "arms makers of western Pennsylvania" book and, looking through the photographs I see that Charles Cheney's rifle has the same basic form that's present on many Allison, mccosh, fleeger, and Feree rifles (and I'm sure some others. It's the form of butt carving, sometimes the patchbox, the moulding, and the feathering at the wrist. I could see using the same cutouts for brass accents if they shared a common source but it seems unlikely that Cheney would be duplicating so many aspects by chance.

Is more known about the man? His biography and those of Allison's descendants and apprentices make no mutual mentions yet they were overlapping in New Sewickely for some time.

Im also looking forore info about Henry Wolf as I've an impression he was a bit of a SOB.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: question about Charles Cheney of Allegheny Co. and his associations
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 03:04:10 PM »
I would ask Rick Rosenberger. He’ll be at the Harmony show mid august.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 07:05:05 PM »
Wolf's career in Pittsburgh was a financially difficult time for him, with legal actions against him as early as 1798 for failure to pay debts. Eventually his house and possessions were sold at public auction to satisfy those debts. He still owed money and disappeared from Pittsburgh in 1808 or 1809, presumably chased by creditors. Interestingly, he had previously exported guns to Lexington, Kentucky, where they were marketed by local merchant John Jordan, so Wolf had contacts there.

Wolf with his family moved to Kentucky, first appearing in Scott Co. in 1810 census records. Later in 1818 he moved to Falmouth in Pendleton Co. where he continued his gunmaking work into the 1840s assisted by his gunsmith son William. Wolf's KY years are documented in "Kentucky Gunmakers 1775-1900," and the new "Kentucky Gunmakers, Epilogue" coming out later this summer.

Shelby Gallien 

Offline DavidC

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 07:24:03 PM »
Do you know of any other images of rifles by wolf? I own Rosenberger and Kauffman's book on western pa rifles as well as the KRA image cd for those rifles but Ive only ever found those two guns by Henry Wolf and both seem like workmanlike examples rather than artistic pieces.

My SOB remark above stems from the apparent frequency of runaway apprentices. Great to hear the man wasn't lost to history after his legal issues.

Also, is Rick Rosenberger still with us? He is not among the latest members of Historic Harmony's board and I have seen obituaries for the name.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 08:54:25 PM »
I talked to Rick a couple months ago.  I sure hope he's still with us.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline DavidC

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 11:50:55 PM »
I did not see an obituary for his name from this year so, in that case, I would not be concerned. I may pass by Harmony on my way to Moraine State Park in the next couple weekends. Does he reside/work there or just come for the August show?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 02:24:25 PM »
He lives in renfrew pa near moraine. Pm me for his #