Author Topic: Death of Doug Douglas of Williamsburg VA  (Read 987 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Death of Doug Douglas of Williamsburg VA
« on: June 13, 2022, 10:36:16 PM »
I am posting this in the Antique Forum in case any of you collectors might have known Doug and was unaware of his death.

I just got around to reading the latest copy of the KRA magazine and was shocked to see that Doug Douglas passed away. I had not seen Doug in a good while, he was always a regular at our Williamsburg and other VA shows, but I just assumed he was busy or concerned about COVID.

Doug always had a good number of Virginia arms for sale. He was a member here and helped vette rifles submitted for our virtual library when it was being set up. Rest in Peace Doug you are missed.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Death of Doug Douglas of Williamsburg VA
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 01:49:14 AM »
Hate to hear that.   Always enjoyed visiting his table and viewing his great Virginia rifles.  I aquirred a few rifles from him over the years, he liked the same stuff I liked.  Sure will miss him at the shows.  I did notice he was absent from the WV show.   He never missed too many shows.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 09:14:31 PM »
Doug had been through a lot over the last few years. His wife lost her long battle with cancer, then Doug got it too. The last time I saw him I could tell he was struggling, but he still had his sense of humor and the will to fight his illness. Lots of great memories of our talks, gun deals and back and forth emails. Doug was one of the good guys, may he Rest In Peace.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:42:28 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 10:12:44 PM »
Doug had been through a lot over the last few years. His wife lost her long battle with cancer, then Doug got it too. The last time I saw him I could tell he was struggling, but he still had his sense of humor and the will to fight his illness. Lots of great memories of our talks, gun deals and back and forth emails. Doug was one of the good guys, may he Rest In Peace.

Thanks Frank, I knew about his wife but was unaware they Doug hand cancer. You are correct Doug was a great guy.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 10:50:26 PM »
I ask Doug once how he got interested in Long Rifles.  He said when he was a kid a customer owed him for a newspaper subcription.  Doug said the man was about to move out of the area, & Doug's Mother told him to go get his money before the man left.  When Doug went to the mans house the man ask Doug if he would be interested in an old Kentucky rifle in lieu of the money, Doug took the rifle & when he told me the story he still had it. 

Offline Molly

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 12:23:00 AM »
Saw that rifle as well.  Great story.  "Mom" was not to happy that he took the rifle as there was still the newspapers that had to be paid for and since Doug did not have the funds to cover it "Mom" had to pay for the papers.  We got our Jon Wilson "attributed" rifle from him.  It's a sound untouched gun.  Doug was always pretty good with a story but I'm just not sure the John Painter rifle he had was "Painter's personal rifle and that it had never been fired".  ;)

The KRA bulletin included his notice of death but I think he died in Feb or March.

Offline homerifle

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 12:27:41 AM »
I remember that story as well.  RIP, Doug!