Author Topic: Bullets  (Read 1224 times)

Offline porchdog48

Bullets
« on: June 17, 2022, 01:04:04 AM »
I had a person ask me if they had rifles that shot bullet shaped projectiles instead of round balls during the revolutionary war. I said I didn’t think so, but thought I may check with the experts. Any input would be appreciated.
Dave

Offline Chocktaw Brave

Re: Bullets
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 06:43:59 AM »
From what I have read, the conical bullet was not used till around 1830.and perfected by the start of the civil war.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 03:20:17 PM »
The English got serious about long projectiles after the percussion cap became common and Joseph Whitworth is credited with making it a bad idea to be visible 1000 yards away.The French may be credited with the hollow base bullet that was easy to load and accurate and that idea spread fast and our own "Civil"War was mostly fought with them.By the end of that war the muzzle loader was done as a military gun and was used as a hunting gun and never really faded away.In the Northeast a sophisticated type of target rifle was developed that used both patched and lubricated elongated projectiles and these rifles were made by craftsmen that had good tools that surpassed the shops in most rural areas.High end caplocks and fine triggers plus better sights made these guns the best muzzle loaders ever made and 1000 yard shooting matches are still held even until today.The round ball is easier for loading and are certainly the most popular today and are way more popular than the highly specialized "bullet guns".My personal preference is the Yankee target rifle but I have shot a lot of round balls and enjoyed the time spent with them.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 05:16:14 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 12:40:44 AM »
I would not be surprised to learn that cylindrical bullets were experimented with before the 18th century. The Swiss were using set triggers, peep sights, even custom grips that kept the trigger finger from touching the stock, all before the 18th century. All manner of shooting experiments were going on.

There are plenty of "modern" inventions that I can't mention that are over a hundred years old. Just forgotten about.

DAve

Offline porchdog48

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 01:17:29 AM »
Thanks for all the information. I was thinking around the civil war was when it was developed but was not sure.
Dave

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 12:21:42 AM »
Might be that the round patched ball was so good and reliable as to postpone the inevitable.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 02:12:47 AM »
The bullets that were adopted, were for military use, which does not necessarily make them good for game shooting.
Indeed, until the advent of breechloaders, bullets did not 'catch on' with hunters, very much at all.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 02:22:35 PM »
The bullets that were adopted, were for military use, which does not necessarily make them good for game shooting.
Indeed, until the advent of breechloaders, bullets did not 'catch on' with hunters, very much at all.

The big round ball with a heavy powder charge was use in Africa and it worked and still does for close in shots but the military wanted longer range.
  The Swiss have been ahead of the curve for ever and stayed out of European wars by enforcing neutrality at
gun point.Their military people told Hitler if they invaded Switzerland the German causalities will be "off the charts".As proof of that,I have a copy of Wllliam Shirer's "Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich that has a map in blue of the Nazi conquests and at the top of Italy is a small white spot.Yep,it was Switzerland.There is MUCH more to the Swiss not being involved from 1933 ubtil 1945 but this is not the venue for it.
Bob Roller