Author Topic: Little Rifle.....all the other stuff. Tiny pouch to go with the tiny horn !  (Read 4065 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
OK....so the little rifle for my grandson is finished....      https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=61759.0     .......Now I need to make all the "stuff" that needs to go with it and a wood rifle case.  Today I started with trying to decide on a powder horn that is in keeping with the scale of the rifle.  I had some horns I had made previously and a couple of raw horns about the right size.  Here were my options:

I decided the existing horns were not quite right so I started to look at the two raw horns and perhaps finish one of those for the rifle....

Of the two, I decided I liked the one with a little twist better and I spent an hour or so carving and staining the spout.

Not sure if this will be the one, but I like it so far......
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 04:44:36 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Little Rifle.....all the other stuff. Start with a powder horn
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 01:43:03 PM »
 Looks like a good clean start. Look forward to seeing where it goes.

Tim

Offline John Proud

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 05:26:57 PM »
Looks like a nice "marriage" for the rifle.

John

Offline hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 07:02:48 PM »
Your grandson surely adores his granddad 😍😍

Offline flintlock hunter

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 12:29:45 AM »
Could I ask how, and what you used to stain the spout?
Barry

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 03:45:04 AM »
Thanks for the kind words....

Flintlock Hunter.....I stained the spout with a concentrated solution of potassium permanganate and then gave it a light coat of tung oil.  Works fast and is easy to apply.  I did this with a Q tip.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 07:34:24 PM »
Trying to get all the parts of the powder horn done and then decide whether to mount the horn with silver or not...and then what to engrave on the horn....so many decisions...

Cutting out a piece of ebony for the base plug.....

Turning the plug on the lathe.  This will have a threaded cascabel in the base plug so I put the female thread in the blank piece of material first and then mounted it on a threaded rod to start the turning.  One very nice feature of ebony is that it is so dense that it machines very much like horn or plastic....

I will add some decorative features as soon as I have time, but the basic shape completed.....

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 03:38:48 AM »
Phenomenal !

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 04:56:52 PM »
Very clean and detailed work sir!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Finished up the spout stopper and the base plug.  As usual for me, I threaded the base plug and made the cascabel removable for filling the horn.  Although most of these that I make have wooden male threads, this one has a brass threaded sleeve and a hickory core.  This was to strengthen the little cascabel.  I am trying to decide if I am going to mount this little horn with sterling silver or not.  All the main parts are made out of ebony.

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
Really nice!
Eat Beef

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
I assembled a Dolep lock from castings recently for James Rogers and he offered to make a scaled down shot pouch for this little rifle in exchange.  Needless to say I jumped at the chance to have one of his bags to go along with the rest of the "kit" for this rifle.  We have discussed scale and this is what we think is a good size to go with the little horn and the little rifle......

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
 Great turning and file work. I like that idea of the brass threaded sleeve especially on a piece the caliber this one is/will be. 

Tim
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 12:07:55 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Keith Zimmerman

Very cool set.  Gonna be a dandy horn when its finished.

Offline hawkeye

Hello Dave, I'm not a expert on chemical products but I was reading in some article that potassium permanganate deluted with water giving a purple color, do I got that wrong?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Hawkeye,

You have it correct but wrong at the same time... ;)  Potassium permanganate is a very strong oxidizer (you can make some fairly strong explosive and incendiary compounds with it.... ;)).  When dissolved in water the solution is a very deep royal purple.  However, when applied to organic material, it turns the surface of that material various shades of brown....like my little horn surface.  I have some maple gunstocks that I stained with it. I built a matching pair of long rifles for my Dad and I when I was a senior in high school.  It is not light fast though and the gunstocks are a fair amount lighter now than they were a half century ago.  Nitric acid (Aqua Regia in Latin) is also a strong oxidizer....and it has the same effect on organic materials.  Hence its use to stain stocks.  It can be used alone for a lighter red / brown color or, with dissolved iron in it, a darker brown.  The application of heat accelerates the reaction of the acid and / or iron nitrate with the organic compounds in the wood and it is far more light fast than the permanganate.  However, the potassium permanganate solution works almost instantly and with no need for heating.  The tip of the little horn may fade some over time, but with a light coat of tung oil it will last far, far longer than I will... :)
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
So very beautiful...
Dave, what is a good source to get Nitric acid from? I think it would be a good thing for me to try out.
Thanks,
Bob

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
I get it 2.5 liters at a time from these guys.  You can buy smaller quantities but the hazmat fee is the same so I get the larger amount.....but then, I use a lot of acid... ;)

https://www.laballey.com/products/nitric-acid-solution-67-of-lab-grade?variant=7219028459579
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline hawkeye

Thank you for the explanation Dave, interesting to know
Hawkeye

Offline hawkeye

In what parts potassium - to water it's should be deluted?
Hawkeye

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Hawkeye,

To stain the tip of a horn dark, I use a "saturated" solution....in other words as much permanganate as will dissolve in the water.  But I also do not mix very much for the tip of a horn.  Perhaps a tablespoon of water and then as much permanganate as will dissolve, which is not much.  I do this in a glass beaker and then leave the beaker open on my bench.  The water will evaporate and the permanganate crystals will remain in the beaker.  They can be used again... ;)
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Thanks Dave!

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Traveling at the moment but had a chance to start a few other items I am considering putting in the wood case along with the little rifle.....

Ebony short starter (the ram rod is only 1/4 inch in diameter so this seemed a prudent accessory).....

Oil bottle.....

.32 caliber bullet board (also made out of ebony)....

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Absolute Elegance.

Offline smylee grouch

Everything Elegant. First class in all respects, even something as simple as a Bulger says top shelf.  :)