Author Topic: Little Rifle.....all the other stuff. Tiny pouch to go with the tiny horn !  (Read 4067 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
I decided to mount the little horn with sterling silver.  Worked on the band for the base today.  After forming the band out of sheet (by using a paper, pattern that conforms to the horn), I started with silver soldering on the upper and lower decorative edges.

I do the first solder joints in sections between alligator clamps.

Then I go back and fill in any areas that I did not get on the first pass.

Here is the band after the last pickle in diluted hydrochloric acid......

Polished a bit.......

Added an attachment ring.  Trial fit on the little horn.  Now to make the forward band......

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
 WOW...

Tim

Offline Marcruger

CRAZY NICE. 

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
This kind of work makes me sick. Sick with envy........
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Dennis Daigger

Beautiful, creative and exquisite execution. Your work is in a class of its own.
Dennis

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Finished the forward sterling silver band......

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Just for size comparison....The bottom horn is a bit overly large.  The one in the middle is about normal size.  And then there is the top one for use with the little rifle.

They all need some scrimshaw now.....
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
Holy smokes that’s wonderful. Something befitting Royalty. But then again , even more special, for your grandson 🥰

Offline Fisherking

• Starting Member

Amazing work. Really nice to see the investment!

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Some of the most exquisite items I've ever seen on this forum or anywhere else.  You're good enough to be scary...

Offline Marcruger

Those silver bands always bring to mind Nordic horns.  Like Vikings drinking.  Super cool in the best way. 

Online BOB HILL

Excellent work, Dave. It's always a pleasure to see. Thanks for sharing.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline aaronc

High -level work, thanks for posting.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Great work Dave...thanks for sharing the photo's ...very inspiring!!!!!!

Mitch

Offline Craig Wilcox

Dave, Daddy Dear, do you remember all those years ago when you adopted me?  Waiting for my "Little Rifle"...  I wish!

Folks, if you are going to mix acid and water, PLEASE remember to Always Add Acid!  IOW, if you are diluting the acid, say 3:1 (water:acid), put your water in first, THEN add the acid.  Same thing with a strong base - add the base to the water.

If you add the water second, you will get a severe exothermic reaction, possibly spattering the acid into your eyes, on your arms, etc.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
To all....thank you for the kind words...and I learn a lot from all of you on this site....lots of techniques....lots of tips & tricks....lots of design ideas that I shamelessly copy...;)

And Craig.....no....I don't remember the adoption... :o  But I do remember that your advice about acid and water is good.  When I was a kid working in my Father's dental lab and pickling gold crowns in hydrochloric acid, I was always told the acid was like goldfish.  You add the goldfish to the water.  You don't pour water over a goldfish.   ;)
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline HighUintas

Wow... Rockets, rifles, and accoutrements... Is there anything you can't do?

Beautiful work on everything. Thanks for sharing

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
HighUnitas,

Thank you.....but there are a ton of things I can't do very well or at all....and quite a few things than many others can do much better than I can.  But all that inspires me to try harder.  If I don't learn something from someone over the course of a day, it wasn't a very successful day for me.  By hanging out on this site I can insure that I have a productive day just by reading all the posts from all the very generous, very knowledgable, and very talented contemporary artisans.    :) ;)

P.S.  And if you want a detailed list of things I don't do well, my lovely wife will be happy to supply one... :o
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline HighUintas

Hi Dave, I feel much the same way. I enjoy all of my hobbies very much, but I think what I truly love is learning a new skill, or learning how to do them better.

I'm excited to see the box you build for these rifles.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Boy, you just get scary-better with every post.  Make this puppy into a book of pictures, please...

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Busy these days.....haven't had much time to work on any of this.  However, James Rogers just sent the little kangaroo leather bag he made to go with my grandson's rifle.  I can't tell you all how perfect it is !!!! ( As is all of James' work  :) ;) ) I need to come up with a strap for the little horn and do the scrimshaw work yet.  For scale, here is a picture of a bag James made for me (also of 'roo leather) with one of my horns and one of my rifles.  Also shown are the little horn, the new little bag, and the scaled down rifle.  The second picture is a closer view of the beautiful little bag and the little horn. 

When I opened the box that James sent the bag to me in, my wife immediately asked if I could hire James to make another copy of the little bag for her !!!!

Thank you again, James !!!

Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780