Author Topic: nose cap  (Read 1122 times)

Offline yip

nose cap
« on: June 28, 2022, 05:20:58 PM »
  whats the correct way when making a nose cap to place the front end, inside or out

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: nose cap
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 06:28:46 PM »
Your choice  :-\-- I put mine outside so the seam is not visible from the front of the muzzle. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 06:35:19 PM »
If your talking about brass then a one piece nose cap is the preferred option but definitely more challenging.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 10:59:39 PM by J. Talbert »
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline yip

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 11:55:00 PM »
  j talbert; i've done one pieces before but i was just wondering about the two pieces

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 12:17:03 AM »
Yip,

Iv'e done them both ways.  I think the outside version is easiest.  Here is a link from my "little rifle" post on how i prefer to make muzzle caps.....

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=61759.msg620626#msg620626

PS....your question was about the "correct way" to make one.  On that topic I am not qualified to comment.  I have no idea which way is correct.... :o

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 01:17:29 AM »
Hi,
Original rifles show all of those ways.  Some are one piece, some are soldered with the front outside, some soldered with the front inside, and some have no front cover at all.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 07:38:38 AM »
I've always made my Mcaps w/ the end plate inside the "sleeve". The high temp silver solder I use is the color of brass....the seam is invisible. The "sleeve" is made from .040 brass and the end plate is 1/8" thick. When soldered together, the end plate is squared up w/ the "sleeve" w/ a disk sander. A 1/32" radius breaks the sharp corner. Made a few Mcaps w/ the RR groove but most didn't have this feature......Fred

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 02:25:20 PM »
Does the type of nose cap construction follow the school of the rifle or is it a more of a just a maker preference?  A significant number of Southern rifles have either an open end on the cap or are filled with lead/pewter to form the end.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline RAT

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 06:00:56 AM »
I have one of those original southern rifles with an iron muzzle cap with the open end filled with lead. The iron (band) part is also fastened to the wood with lead rivets through the oblique portion... not through the bottom under the ramrod.
Bob