Author Topic: Dauphin County Gun Builders  (Read 10566 times)

jwh1947

Dauphin County Gun Builders
« on: October 26, 2009, 08:29:32 PM »
Here is a list of Dauphin County, PA, gunsmiths, for whom I have personally examined extant specimens or acceptable photos thereof.  Credit must be given to Dr. George Shumway for his compilation of all documented county gunsmiths which was done from 1970-1972 in preparation of a text in The Longrifle Series which never reached fruition, due to, accurding to him, a profound difficulty in obtaining enough specimens to photograph for the book.  I limit my list to those for whom I have actually seen products.

John Baum, circa 1800, Derry Twp. (Hershey area) Only one known.
Peter Bellis. 1825-1885. Lykens
John Brooks, 1802-1817, Harrisburg, previously Lancaster
James Campbell. 1830's. Middletown
Dan Crum. circa 1900, Harrisburg
Amos Early. 1855-1904, East Hanover Twp., worked with J. Shell
George Feder. 1820's, Swatara Twp.
John Ford. 1833-1862, Harrisburg, also sup't of state gun factory.
David Glassbrenner. 1830-1872, Harrisburg
Henry Hillegas. 1870's, Harrisburg
Kelker & Brothers. Gun Locks and hardware, extant locks (old Kelker
        mansion still stands adjacent to Steelton-Highspire High School.)
Christian Kline. 1820's. Harrisburg
George Kunkle. 1831-1860's, Harrisburg
Simon Lingle. 1850's, Derry Twp.
Leonard Reedy. 1825-1837, grand master from Lykens, upper county.
Jacob Roop, 1805-1815, Lower Swatara Twp. and Lower Paxton, seems
   to be a Sr. and a Jr., but don't know how to tell the difference.
Daniel Shell. 1825-1847, Lower Paxton Twp. (3 brothers, Martin father)
Jacob Shell, 1840's, Lower Paxton Twp.
John Shell, 1817-1871, Lower Paxton, Hanover Twp., then Halifax.
Martin Shell, Rev. era., Family patriarch from Lower Paxton Twp.
Christian Siple, 1808-1827, Swatara Twp. and Middletown, apprenticed
   to Jacob Haeffer in Lancaster.
Jacob Snevely (Snavely), 1820's, Harrisburg.
Adam Sweigart, circa 1820, Harrisburg.
Conrad Welshance (Welshans), 1805, Harrisburg, moved, I believe,
   to York, PA.
George Zollinger, 1811-1842, Harrisburg.

Note: HERCO, Hershey Entertainment and Resort Co., has, or, at least, used to have several of the more obscure ones above.  Unfortunately, that museum is closed and apparently the guns are mothballed.  They also hold the Reichenbach tool collection.  PA State Museum has a few in storage.  Others have surfaced in private collections around here.  Hope this helps.  If you have physical proof of others, please mention them on this site. Thanks,  JWH
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:23:44 AM by jwh1947 »

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Dauphin County Gun Builders
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:54:21 PM »
Here is IMHO the finest John Shell rifle in exhistance today. That is until a better one pops up ;Dhttps://www.cowanauctions.com/department_view_item.asp?ItemId=72137
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:04:42 AM by Dennis Glazener »
Joel Hall

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
The URL for this list of gunmakers has been added to the Library section under Pennsylvania Gunsmiths.
Hurricane

jwh1947

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 09:14:50 PM »
CaptJoel...my feelings for that Shell you posted border on lust.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:24:02 PM »
I hear you Wayne, down right sinful! My wife will not let me re-mortgage the house so I'll just have to be content looking at pictures. There sure are some wonders out there!
Joel Hall

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:31:44 PM »
Thank you Wayne for this extensive list of gunsmiths. I remember seeing a scrimshawed powder horn somewhere for sale that had John Ford's name on it. It may have been with a set of tools from Fords estate, but my memory isn't what it used to be.
Joel Hall

jwh1947

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:07:14 PM »
A comment on J. Roop.  You may find the block letters "I. ROOP" on the top barrel flat.  Numerous specimens, so signed, exist.  I owned a pristine one that had been held by several KRA friends, and another, years ago that was similar but not as well preserved.  They both had nice engraved patchboxes with one oval piercing in the finial.  No carving, but neat, attractive architecture.  Now, recent news...a friend picked up what has to be one of the finest Roops just a couple weeks ago.  Absolutely the same patchbox but lighter, sleeker, classic architecture, with a Lehigh-type bent that will fit right into his collection.  I examined closely the workmanship on all these guns, and I am here to say that it is very good, both on its own merits and relatively speaking to the comptetition. 

The reason I mention this is that I have heard people denigrate Roop's work as somewhat common or substandard.  Specifically, Henry Kaufffman told me that he never thought that much of Roop's work, and some collectors have told me that one must not confuse his work with that of the Rupp family which is superior.  While I would certainly agree that the latter is true, I would also say that it is an unfair comparison and that the former's work is still darn good.  I can forgive Henry for perhaps evalutaing a few of the plainer Rupps in light of all the fine guns that went through his hands, but I challenge present collectors to examine some of these guns and then make up their own minds.  I submit that Rupp has been underappreciated and undervalued, and that his work is worthy of study. JWH

Offline t.caster

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:53:40 PM »
I certainly agree with Joel on the Shell smoothrifle, what a beauty! Whew!
Curious item about the two piece stock though! I find it hard to believe it was made that way. More likely an old (19th century, maybe early 20th)repair. IMHO
Tom C.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 10:56:59 PM »
 I find it very hard to pass judgement on too many of the early gunsmiths. For one thing as a 21st century gun builder I appreciate the power of electricity! Those old guys had a very hard road to toll. It is great to see a work from one who usually made more ordinary pieces, as the Shell example at Coens auction. It shows what some of these folks could really do, the capability and talent really brings out the ART. As for J. Roop, I've never seen one of his rifles I didn't like. A nice example recently sold at Aspen Shade. http://aspenshadeltd.com/inventory_roop.html
Joel Hall

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 11:16:45 PM »
I am working on replacing some missing forstock slivers on a rifle marked J. Roop on the barrel and lock. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 11:30:52 PM »
Thank you for your research Wayne! I appreciate the time invested. Glad your back!

jwh1947

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 02:19:48 AM »
Pure trivia, perhaps unknown by many.  I mention HERCO.  Be it known that Milton S. Hershey, the chocolate magnate and local business icon, was one of the first true "Kentucky Rifle" collectors in our country.  Around the time of the publication of Dillin's book, Hershey took an interest in local rifles.  Both he and Dillin were among the first to realize the inherent artistry and technology to be found in the old guns.  There must be 75 rifles in the collection. Hershey also took an interest in Native American artifacts.  He went around the country buying both...the rifles and the Indian items.  Up until recently, many of the pieces were on display in the Hershey Museum of American Culture.  That museum is now defunct, being replaced with one that tells the story of Hershey's life.  Tourists are given a good story, but at the expense of the broader "American Culture."  I appeal to those at HERCO to get the guns and artifacts back up on exhibit, or sell them to those of us who will.  JWH

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 03:22:40 AM »
JWH:  Thank you for your Dauphin County list and the time & energy you invested in this research.  Regarding the Shell family gunsmiths, I've seen longrifles signed by John or Daniel and pictures of rifles signed by their father, Martin.  Do you know if Jacob also signed his rifles?

Bill

Offline ptk1126

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 04:36:33 AM »
Wayne

I am sorry to hear of the demise of the old Hershey museum. I was raised by my
grandparents until the age of 13. My grandfather was superintendent of the Elizabethtown, Pa
State Crippled Children's Hospital. We lived there seven months a year and spent five months at
the family cottage in Freeport, Me.

I spent many hours at the Hershey museum in love with the guns and Indian artifacts. That and
my grandmother being an antique dealer who often had old flintlock muskets and rifles instilled my
love of history and firearms that never left me.

All the best
Paul

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 06:00:03 AM »
Wayne,

I to would like to thank you for taking the time to share the information in this post.  What a shame that the Dauphin County Longrifle book never made it to print.  I wonder if there's a chance of it ever being resurrected in the future?
Kunk

jwh1947

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 07:29:42 PM »
Yes, I have seen a Jacob Shell signed rifle, plain, percussion made as such, not a remarkable piece, but evidence that signed ones exist.  Regarding the book, my guess is that some enterprising researcher, younger than I am, will tackle that some day.  Regarding county-oriented books, it appears to be one of the last virgin forests to cut through.  Here's a place where the Internet might help.  If enough users of this site could pinpoint the whereabouts of a dozen or so really good examples, the filler for the book could be obtained within a 40 mile radius from my house.  I'd help out if just one creative, industrious and trained researcher would step forward to ramrod the publication.  JWH
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:40:18 PM by jwh1947 »

jwh1947

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 08:34:54 PM »
The Aspen Shade Roop is one I used to own.  Not a piece of replaced wood on it and in shootable condition.  The only thing different with the gun now is the price.  JWH
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 08:41:20 PM by jwh1947 »