Author Topic: My issues with the Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun kit  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Grischi

• Youtube: 'Ist das Kunst oder kann das weg?'
My issues with the Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun kit
« on: July 17, 2022, 10:57:33 AM »
First I want to pronounce that I'm quite satisfied with the quality of my Pedersoli Trade Musket kit at all. But there have been two issues that I had to fix to have it as I wanted it to be.
First (known before ordering the kit) is the serpant/dragon side plate that is in no way period correct.
I reshaped it with a jewelery saw and a needle file and inletted it. And in my eyes this simple modification does a lot for the gun's appearence.
The second issue I didn't expect. The ramrod pipes have been fixed in the factory without any care. The fix was a bit more tricky. I had to shift them a bit (about 1/8"), then inletted them. The old holes could no longer be used so I had to redrill them and to close the old ones. I feared this could be visible after finishing the stock but it didn't. If you know what are you searching for you will spot them, but I think they are now well hidden.

Offline Leatherbark

Re: My issues with the Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun kit
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 02:03:12 PM »
I had to drill out the ramrod pipes on mine because Pedersoli uses a 9mm ramrod. A regular 3/8ths inch ramrod fits okay now.

Bob

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 02:06:06 PM »
Hi Christian,
I had a similar issue with a Pedersoli Brown Bess kit that I worked on with a local student.  The machined mortises were flat on the bottoms for the barrel-shaped pipes!  Moreover, there were large gaps all around on the sides.  I had to inlet them deeper and fill the gaps with Acra Glas.  They were already drilled but the pins were only 1/16".  So I was able to just drill for larger pins in he stock and file the holes in the pipes to fit the bigger pins with the pipes set in a little deeper.  It came out well.  You can see the Acra Glas around the pipe mortise in the photo below.  The red color is just a dye I use on the wood when whiskering the stock that highlights any rough areas to be smoothed.

The finished gun came out OK.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Grischi

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 03:16:57 PM »
Nice Bess , Dave.
Fortunately, for most issues there is a workaround. And to be honest, it creates a bit of pride to solve these problems and makes it a unique very own gun.

Christian
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 05:22:27 PM by Grischi »

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 05:13:22 PM »
I’d find some way to remove the ugly barrel literature.

Offline Grischi

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 05:21:57 PM »
Panzerschwein, sorry, English isn't my mother tounge and I don't get the meaning of 'barrel literature'

Christian

Offline LynnC

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 07:01:20 PM »
Panzer is referring to the factory stampings on the barrel.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Grischi

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 07:12:18 PM »
Thank you, now it's clear.
Unfortunately barrels have to be marked with manufacturer, serial number, caliber and proof marks in Germany.

Offline Bushfire

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 02:45:03 AM »
Nicely done Grischi!