Author Topic: Who uses their brush  (Read 3579 times)

Offline MuskratMike

Who uses their brush
« on: August 09, 2022, 11:53:12 PM »
I have a nice pick and brush set for every bag set. For the life of me I can't ever remember using the brush, the pick yes but never the brush. After a dozen or so shots a quick wipe with a clean patch cleans the powder residue. Is there something I am missing? Is this a regional, weather based thing? Thinking about tossing the brushes and drilling a small hole below the cheek piece.
Even though I'm an old guy, not too old to learn a thing or two.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline ScottNE

Re: Who uses their brush
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 12:05:15 AM »
I never use a brush…I don’t think I’ve used a pick more than once or twice either. My go-to rifle is remarkably reliable.

I do wipe the pan but as you noted, a quick swipe with a rag or patch is quicker and easier than bothering to use a brush.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 12:12:29 AM »
Agree, I do pick, not out of necessity just how I was brought up and taught. Old habits die hard.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Marvin S

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 05:25:43 AM »
That’s a good question. I’ve never found a good use for the brush either.

Offline JLayne

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 11:56:42 AM »
I’ve never used the brush either. I keep a supply of alcohol swabs in my range box and use one of those to wipe the pan clean when needed.

Jay

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 01:43:31 PM »
When I have used the brush, it was because I wanted to remove a fresh charge of priming powder from my pan, or had (somehow) made a mess while priming and needed to clean up  that area of the lock.
Shooting down here in Florida, I've developed a regular routine between shots.
I use a clean patch to wipe the pan, wipe the face of the frizzen and wipe the edge of the flint. Between EVERY shot.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline alacran

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 03:17:44 PM »
Most of the brushes sold by vendors are worthless. I do use a brush from time to time, like when I need to knap a flint. But I make my brushes out of javelina bristles. They work best if the brush itself is no more than 3/4 inches long. They work well even in the Midwest rainforest.
Hog bristles would probably work as well.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 04:09:59 PM »
When hunting is about the only time I use one. While waiting on some venison to come by and during high humidity conditions I'll freshen my prime on occasion. 
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 04:24:57 PM »
I have 3 or 4 and have yet to use one. 
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 07:42:06 PM »
I make sure I have a brush in my bag when I go hunting.  Hunting season here usually means snow, and when wet snow falls from the evergreens in big wet clumps the size of your hat, eventually one will land on the lock.  The brush is crucial for getting rid of the wet prime and slush.  Other than that, I've never used on on a trail walk of the like.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 09:26:26 PM »
“ Shooting down here in Florida, I've developed a regular routine between shots.
I use a clean patch to wipe the pan, wipe the face of the frizzen and wipe the edge of the flint. Between EVERY shot.”

I do the same as Don.  I don’t use a brush.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 01:28:46 AM »
I use a tooth brush to clean up the pan area after shooting.  As far as the pan brush goes, I think their purpose is to make us look cool, like we really know what we are doing.

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2022, 03:24:56 AM »
I use a hair brush and a toothbrush occasionally but hardly ever on my lock🤷
Eat Beef

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2022, 05:29:18 AM »
As someone else mentioned, the only time I've used the brush was to whisk away fresh powder such as if I've been hunting and not taken a shot.
But, a rag or piece of my shirt or sash works for this too. I rarely carry a brush anymore.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2022, 07:50:15 AM »
Like Taylor, the brush is very handy for whisking out a wet prime.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 02:13:01 PM »
I use a brush a lot. I leave my gun loaded during hunting season and always brush out priming powder so I don't get any rusting in the pan and also don't want any powder left in pan for safety sake. Some may frown on leaving a gun loaded but I have no issues with it. I treat all guns as they are loaded and no one has access to my guns except me.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2022, 02:38:30 PM »
I use a brush a lot. I leave my gun loaded during hunting season and always brush out priming powder so I don't get any rusting in the pan and also don't want any powder left in pan for safety sake. Some may frown on leaving a gun loaded but I have no issues with it. I treat all guns as they are loaded and no one has access to my guns except me.

I do the same but also use a round wooden toothpick to plug the flash hole. I tested one of my hunting rifles by trying to fire it with no primer, once itcactually fired without primer! I some times use a leather stall over the frizzen.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline nemovir

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2022, 12:07:13 AM »
The brush provided with the pick is far too soft.  I now use a brush meant to clean computer keyboard, not PC, but it works.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2022, 01:17:10 AM »
Who has a brush?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2022, 08:10:17 AM »
Charles James,or Master Reynard, both  have brushes.

Offline justinp61

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2022, 05:06:04 PM »
I made this set to go with my .40 Virginia build. May never use them all but i have them. LOL

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2022, 09:04:19 PM »
 I use a brush I made from an old shaving brush that was made out of pig bristle instead of badger. It was too stiff and prickly for shaving, but shortened up a bit it works well for mopping the mud out of the pan in wet weather.

Hungry Horse

Offline Not English

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2022, 11:49:11 PM »
I do as Dennis does when hunting. I like using bristles fom those really cheap chip/paint brushes. They are usually pig bristless. They need to be cut shorter than most people think, but they will be quite stiff.

Offline RichG

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2022, 12:36:22 AM »
I've never seen a brush that was stiff enough to brush the dried crud out of my pan, maybe a little wire brush would work.

Offline White-tail

• Starting Member
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2022, 06:37:33 AM »
As Jeff said, a brush's purpose is mainly for us to look like we're really with it.  Brushes are fun to make from an old boar bristle paint brush.  I use mine mostly during the deer hunting season, at the end of a day, to brush out the priming from the pan before plugging the vent with a toothpick.