Author Topic: Hole drilled through barrel  (Read 9166 times)

holzwurm

Hole drilled through barrel
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:32:17 AM »
Gentlemen - way back when I was a wishful thinker and wanted to build a gun (twenty years maybe ???) I hired on with Ron Ehlert for a while to learn how to make a jaeger. Well, after a fashon I did walk away from his cabin with about 90% of it built. The one error I was always ashamed to tell him about was that while drilling the holes for the barrel underlugs I punched through the barrel into the bore. :-[ :-[ :-[  I'm probably the only person on earth who has ever done that - right?

Well, I have kept that first attempt. I pulled out all the parts this afternoon to take a look at it again. Stock looks a little heavy to my more informed eye but the barrel still fits as tight at it did in Ron's shop. Lock inletting a little slopy but that can be fixed. But that hole still bothers me so I've been thinkning on ways to make a repair which is safe and secure.

Here's what I have in mind. Drill and tap that hole for a 6-32 and run in a steel screw almost to the bore. Then add some silver solder to the threads just to seal it up. Cut the screw off , face it off flush and redrill the spot for the barrel lug.

Now come the really hard part. How do I freshen out the bore and clean off the rough metal that is bound to be in there as I drill and then tap. Are there better way's of handling the entire problem that I'm not seeing?

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Hole drilled through barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 01:58:36 AM »
If it were mine, I'd buy a new barrel. Honest. It is the old story re always looking where the "crack in the dam  " was.  Maybe it's fixable; but I could never bring myself to shoot it.

Offline rtadams

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:11:25 AM »
10-31-09

Replace the barrel --- If you don't, you will have to live with the fact that you have a unwanted hole in the barrel. Don't take a chance on safety for yourself or others around you during the action of firing the rifle.

rtadams
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:30:28 AM by rtadams »

brokenflint

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:15:21 AM »
Jerry   get an new barrel, chop the damaged one down and make horse pistols to go with the Jaeger!!

Broke

holzwurm

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 03:06:02 AM »
sage advise Gentlemen- I shall look for a ner barrel

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 03:28:13 AM »
Jerry, Ron is in heaven smiling, because he could have done the same thing way back when.  Get a new barrel and don't look back(except when you're drilling the new barrel!!!) Sometimes these mistakes really stick in your craw. Try to take it easy on yourself and move on.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:28:38 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 04:38:47 PM »
I'm skeered to drill a barrel except for the touch hole.

While I agree with the gentlemen above and their sage advice, I will note that it is common to drill holes in barrels and thread them and have no safety problems.  Examples are drums, touch hole liners, and often patent breeches will have a hole drilled clear through, with the other side threaded for a clean out screw or just a plug.  These are at the breech where pressures are highest if I recollect.  So I am not as concerned about safety.  I would worry about accuracy, forming a spot for rust etc to start and catch the patch and cleaning tow on the way in and the way out.  And a gun with a safe and effective repair done at an underlug would have to remain my personal gun.

I won't mind if others disagree with this idea and you should weigh all the advice.  IF I was to attempt to repair it and fix the rifling, I would determine if the hole is in a groove or on a lang.  If on a land, it's pretty much a goner as far as I' can figure.  If in a groove, I would thread the hole and countersink it.  In the countersink I would engrave a few furrows radially to the hole.  Then pour a slug for freshing or lapping.  I'd lap the barrel w/o any screw in it to remove burs.  I would gently round the "in" end of the screw, just dome it a touch.  Then I'd begin to turn the plug screw in till it touched the slug when it passes.  I'd lap it, turning the screw no more then 1/12 of a turn, lap like crazy, pour a new lap, repeat till you've turned it half a turn and you don't have resistance.  With the barrel unbreeched and in a bright light, check things out.  If/when you think it is OK, cut off the external part of the screw a little long and peen it down into the furrowed countersink.  It should never move.

Just brainstorming here, how a barrel COULD be saved if you had to.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 10:24:35 PM »
I'll bet more than one barrel has been saved.

holzwurm

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 12:19:24 AM »
Rich - your advise has inspired me to give it a try. Thanks for the lesson and encouragement,

(RAT's  >:( ) I just inspected the bbl and the hole is right on the corner where a land and groove meet. Anything I drill larger will take off part of the land. It's worth a try to put the bbl in my mill and try to machine a hole off center a few thou's so it goes in the groov. Worth a try - the bbl is shot anyway  ???
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 12:38:18 AM by holzwurm »

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 04:44:30 PM »
Just a thought. Having looked down a few rotten barrel and seeing it is a roundball barrel. I would set up a screw so that I new that it All is end up in the same spot. Pour a lap mark the lap with high spot. See where it hits the screw remove screw remove material on the screw and keep at it. I hope this is clear picture of what I am talking about. By the way you never said where on the barrel was the hole. On one of the other machining board a lot of them hate 6/32 thread. You might look at something like a 5/40?   
David Veith
David Veith

oldiemkr

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 06:35:51 PM »
I agree with holzworm and David.

5/40 is a good choice about .125 major dia. If you are careful you might be able make the land and groove fit work.

If this hole is near the breech I'd opt out and maybe rebreech for a shorter barrel. If its out by the front sight I'd almost certainly repair it. IMHO!!!

Consider the breech pressure at the breech then consider where the repair is. Then consider .124" dia  surface area for the repair. I'd certainly proof it but a lot depends on where the hole is. I would cetainly not weld it.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 08:07:03 PM »
I imagine the hole would be under a fore end staple. Not much pressure there, unless you short start. a-hem.

Tom

northmn

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 08:25:11 PM »
I would try to fix it.  Some rather pitted barrels shoot pretty good, so I really doubt if it would hurt all that much except as a match as in bench rest barrel.  I would bet a repaired barrel will shoot about as well as you can.

DP

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
What about having it lined?  I think Bob Hoyt lines barrels.  Might see what it would cost to have it done.
                                                               Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »
The biggest hole in the breech end of the barrel is the one the breechplug screws into.  I should think that as long as any other hole is properly fitted and screwed tight shut it shouldn't be a problem.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
Only thinking out loud since I don't know squat about machine work.....

You mentioned this was/is a Jaeger.   It's use comes to the top now.  This is then a hunting rifle rather than a longer range target piece.  Meaning your shots would be generally at 25 on out to say 50 yds on deer!!! ???

If that barrel can be plugged as mentioned then lapped then used with under sized ball and heavy patch she may be just as accurate as needed to do the job?

Worth a try??   If no good I would contact good ol Bobby Hoyt for a reline job (in the barrel ;D)

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 05:53:50 PM »
Every gas operated rifle has a hole in the barrel. What you have shouldn't effect safety unless it is right at the breech. If you tap it and put a screw in it you should be just fine. Just make sure the end of the screw doesn't poke thru into the groove where it can catch a patch. The down side is that you will have a "pit" in the bore that will start to erode and enlarge with every shot. The other down side is that a new barrel probably won't fit the inlet stock as neatly as the one that is there now. I'd repair the hole, move the underlug slightly, finish the rifle and enjoy. If it was a customer rifle I'd have scrapped the barrel in the beginning and started over. One of the first things you must learn if you're working for someone else is to "man up" to a mistake in the beginning and deal with it then. But then if it's your rifle and ... then well.... how good a repair can I make?