Author Topic: Gunmaker ID for over/under swivel barrel percussion rifle  (Read 1131 times)

Offline cmick101

• Starting Member
Gunmaker ID for over/under swivel barrel percussion rifle
« on: September 10, 2022, 01:23:47 AM »
I am a gunsmith working w a customer to identify this rifle.
It is an over/under double hex barrel swivel breech percussion rifle. Appears to be 50 caliber. Both barrels are rifled
The lock has the initials RB in Old English font along w and engraved hunting scene (hunter, 2 dogs,birds). The other side of the lock has filligree engraving. There are small tear shaped silver inlays in the stock.
Im trying to determine the maker

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Gunmaker ID for over/under swivel barrel percussion rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 01:32:26 AM »
Great attic condition swivel breech. Butt plate finial suggests Huntingdon County to me, out by Bedford County. Check the bores as one is likely fully rifled and the other has straight rifling. I see some nice engraving under the patina. Don't clean too much of that off as it not possible to replace it and that translates into $$$
when putting value on the old thing. Look in Whisker's Bedford, Huntingdon and Somerset County gun makers book for some photos and direction on who made it,
Always nice to see new folks come in the door and especially when they show up with something in their hand. Welcome and thank you!
Dick

Offline Mark Tyler

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 07:37:38 AM »
Dick is correct. That is a typical Huntingdon County stepped buttplate. However, I believe you have a David Young (1812-1881) Rifle. Young was a gunsmith Boalsburg, Centre County, PA.

https://poulinantiques.hibid.com/lot/118791354/o-u-rifle-by-d--young-of-middleburg--pennsylvania-?q=Young

Auctioneer is wrong; not a Middleburg rifle.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 07:51:01 AM by Mark Tyler »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 07:51:28 AM »
Mark, you make a good point! I agree with you as the stock profile is not strictly like most Huntingdon guns. Young may have learned the trade in that county and moved to Centre County later on. What do you think? Also, the PB is like Young's work.
Dick

Offline OLUT

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 03:21:49 PM »
David Young was born in September 1812 in Centre County and seemed to live all his life in Harris Township, which borders Huntingdon County.  He was christened in Aaronsburg, Centre county and was buried in Boalsburg in 1881. MANY of his guns are stamped on the barrel "D. YOUNG ". The gun in the OP has all the typical characteristics of a David Young over/under and is quite similar to the one in my collection

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 03:12:23 AM »
I cannot offer any information regarding maker or where made, but I know that those are octagonal barrels, not hexagonal.  Mute point?  I disagree.  One's communication reveals their knowledge of a subject, and I think that's important.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline cmick101

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 07:13:51 PM »
Gentlemen,
thank you sooo much for your replies :).  I have been trying to track down this info for a very long time.  I do refinishing and restoration work on historical pieces in my (one-man-show) company of Classic Firearms Restorations llc.  I do refinishing but only to a point so as not to interfere with the pieces 'history / story'.  In most cases customers bring me their great-granddad's shotgun/rifle/musket/whatever.  My goal is to restore it close to how it would have looked the last time it was carried in battle, in the woods, on a hunt.  Most pieces end up as wall-hangers with a few select ones destined for a museum.  This particular piece is likely the latter given what I know of the person who owns it.  A good bit of what I do involves researching the history of every piece and bring its story to life for the owners
I'm finding out there is a attraction to the search for me and when I find some nugget of information such as this its a real thrill!
So thank you for this.  Now I can dig deeper and see where this leads!
All I am doing to this is a general cleanup... no repair, no refinishing, just moving aside the dirt to show the piece underneath.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 11:38:33 PM »
I hope that my response to your defining statement of basically: 'Do no harm' is shared by all who venture here. And, that certainly seems tone your guiding Principle. Much appreciated and best of luck for the future. Please join in the dialogs anytime you would like to.
Dick