Author Topic: Steel Patch box Mat'l question  (Read 1297 times)

Offline 45-110

Steel Patch box Mat'l question
« on: September 16, 2022, 12:53:00 AM »
I need to order some mild sheet steel to make a Pa./Ky. style patch box. Will be forming the hinges. What thickness-gauge should I get, everything I have around here is too thick. Going with a flat door so no deep forming dies involved.
thanks
kw

Offline martin9

Re: Steel Patch box Mat'l question
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2022, 01:00:56 AM »
I can't remember the gauge but I have some .050 and .062 I use. Both work well for boxes.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 02:36:22 AM »
I would use 18 (.048") or 19 (.042') gauge.  16 gauge (.060") is too thick.  I started out using .048"-.050" and as my inletting skills got better I dropped down to .040"-.042".  The closer you can match the stock and patchbox contour, the thinner metal you can use.
David

Offline Tim Ault

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 02:51:26 AM »
If your putting any contour at all on it 20 ga .036.  Through 18 ga .048 would be fine . I made a smr/bean type with a slight dome to it and used 22 ga stiffened up nice when you put a contour on them

Offline 45-110

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 03:03:57 AM »
Thank you all for the suggested metal thickness!
kw

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 04:22:07 PM »
H House told me he got his patchbox material from the junkyard. He prefers Porche hoods.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 04:53:31 PM »
I have used the hood of a ‘68 Bronco for years. I’m just about out.
 Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 06:15:29 PM »
H House told me he got his patchbox material from the junkyard. He prefers Porche hoods.

I remember hearing him say that also, except for preference for Porsches,  :D :D
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2022, 02:47:58 PM »
For steel Pboxes .040 thick press stock sheet   was  used for the Pbox shown on the Virginia LR.  It formed easily and browned nicely....Fred

« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:51:55 PM by flehto »

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 02:59:04 PM »
The side covers from some old desktop computers work too.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 11:35:17 AM »
 Old Porsches used very soft steel for the hood and body panels.I used to work in a body shop in my teens my boss was restoring one that was rusted out from Minnesota winters .It was thin and easily worked .

Hershel House was teaching years ago at the Pine city technical center showing a week long class how to make a long rifle . When he got to making the patch box , he had his cousin busy burning off the zinc (?) plating and paint  off an old highway sign he picked up somewhere using a turbo torch and fashioned the patch box from that . He delighted in using salvaged materials turning junk into workable parts .

Birddog6

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 01:21:25 PM »
Some of the unplated steel I used have to make TN patchboxes was from Lowes & is .044". Very slight curve to them and seemed plenty stiff. I've have had no complaints on them. Might be a little thick if you were going to press them into a dome or something. 

I tried some that was too thin once, but don't recall how thin it was by ".  If it is too thin, every time you open/close it, it eventually may not stay in snug to the inlet, especially if you have to press it in snug to latch it.  The thin one I made after opening & closing it dozen or so times, I noticed it was appearing to bow in.
So I laid a straight edge on it & sure enough it actually was bowing in. That got me to thinkin, if I snag it on something, or bump it with it open, I could spend a hour reshaping it or making a new one, and that involves browning a new one & etc. That is sure to pi$$ a customer off. Thus I decided if I be making one for now on, I would prefer thicker vs thinner metal,be it steel or brass.