Author Topic: Thompson Center - Full Stock from Pecatonica  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Hood

• Starting Member
Thompson Center - Full Stock from Pecatonica
« on: September 16, 2022, 09:46:36 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone here might have bought a stock from Pecatonica and converted their Thompson Center to a full stock. I would love to see some photos if anyone has done it. Thanks!

Offline Steeltrap

Re: Thompson Center - Full Stock from Pecatonica
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2022, 03:31:48 PM »
The "problem" with restocking a T\C is that you still have a T\C. You're tossing $200 to restock a firearm that will then be worth......$200 when you're done.

You still don't have a quality lock, or trigger, nor do you have a quality barrel. I know this as I replaced my original T\C kit barrel with a Green Mt. replacement barrel over ten years ago. Now, for accuracy it was (and still is) the best modification I made to that rifle. It now shoots a consistent MOD (Minuet Of Deer) out to 100 yards, plus I can load up to ten rounds before the fouling gives havoc to the conical. The factory barrel was more of a shotgun pattern....didn't matter if PRB, Conical, or any chunk of projectile on the planet.

IMHO, if you want to build a Hawken, then build a Hawken.

OTOH....if you just want to make your T\C look like a better, non-stamped out firearm....and you're keeping it "forever" then get the stock you like\want that fits your wallet.

Here's a pic of my "re-done" T\C. I stripped off the fake lock charcoal finish and made all steel just patina. I also took all brass and using a patina solution, blackened the brass. Replaced the RR tubes with steel. I changed out the factory DST and trigger plate as well. Also, I slimmed down the stock and the cheek piece, cut in the wrist for a better flow. Still a T\C....but not the run of the mill look....it shoots great!! And I'll never sell it.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2022, 05:06:26 PM »
I have thought about doing a fancy stock replacement on one of my TCs with a GM barrel but always talk myself out of it, I reworked the stock instead. As is I have $500 in the gun now with the GM barrel, $200 for the stock and hardware and $300 for the new barrel.  The gun is probably worth less than I have in it so I will stop where I am at instead of spending more money on it.

My advice is to make what you want, you will be proud of the outcome and it will suit you just fine.

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 02:34:10 AM »
You would be better off buying a really cheap blank and building from there, that way you won’t have anything but your time into it.  It would at least give you some building experience.
Bob

Offline RichG

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 05:21:16 AM »
I did a half stock for my brother, curly maple, pewter nose cap, longer pull. Good practice for me and a more shoot able gun with the extra drop in the stock.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 03:01:40 PM »
I had a friend years ago who did one with a super curly piece of maple from Pecatonica.  It was rather garish looking and not at all pleasing to the eye.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 08:26:33 PM »
Some have little respect for the TC rifle but mine has killed 3 elk and numerous deer by various hunters including myself  and it has performed flawlessly. The deer load is w/ a  PRB and the elk load uses a 450  gr  conical.

Upon receiving  my TC and seeing it was my first and only MLer at the time, it was used on squirrels and seeing it was a .50, only head hits were done. The accuracy was exceptional. No matter what gun was used for squirrels, 6 pieces of squirrel  meat  were preferred and the TC obliged.

My TC is as issued....only  made one  change and just ignored some gaps between wood and metal.....afterall it was a hunting gun.

By the way...it was assembled by me from a kit in 1976. It caused me to start building mainly LRs and my first LR was a  flint .45 which replaced the TC as my squirrel rifle, but the TC still was used for elk and deer. Many different  hunters used the TC for deer and elk and had no complaints. I did redo the butt stock...the cheekpiece was too high.

Considering what this rifle  did,  it's always  had a prominent place on my gunrack.....Fred     

Offline Hood

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 11:52:55 PM »
Thanks for all the information. I have always found the Thompson Center Hawkens to shoot well. I was really just thinking of going to a full stock as i like the look. Then some steel furniture and browning the barrel. I realize the value isn't go to be what I put into it and not looking to sell it. I just really like the full stock.

Thanks again for all the input and would like to hear and see more.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 01:05:43 AM »
Used T/C flinters will sell well here in western Pa. for $400 just about anytime, they are well respected here.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 02:55:58 PM »
These T/C guns were designed to meet a price and there were some major issues at the start with over torqued breech plugs that cracked thru the threads and there were some very serious injuries reported.$400 won't get a good lock and barrel today so if a useful and safe hunting rifle can be had for that amount then use it.
Bob Roller

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 03:32:37 PM »
Mr. Fred was kind enough to show me how he lowered the comb of his TC stock, I followed his lead when an old kit popped up in my family that I ended up putting together.

Here is a comparison, a factory TC stock and the one I followed Fred's advice on reshaping.

Here is the rough looking factory stock shown in the above picture after I reshaped it as well.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 03:36:17 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 04:03:19 PM »
My refinished T\C stock....I like the flow of Eric's better. (More better?)