Author Topic: George Frederick Fainot - looking for info  (Read 653 times)

Offline DaveM

George Frederick Fainot - looking for info
« on: September 27, 2022, 03:28:04 AM »
Hi all,  has anyone done research on Fainot?  I have seen some info online about him and wondering if anyone has done any detailed research.  If so feel free to respond here or message me.

My key question - Shumway wrote that there are original gun(s) signed by Fainot and I am hoping that someone can give me leads on photos of a signed Fainot gun. 
Thanks!

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: George Frederick Fainot - looking for info
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 03:46:57 AM »
There are several signed Fainot rifles. Check out the Fainot in our library here for free. https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=15403.0

More to follow. I’m a big fan and made 2 patterned after his work.

Same rifle is in The Lancaster Longrifle at the Landis Valley Village and Farm Museum by John Kolar.

An attributed rifle by Fainot is in Masterpieces of the American Longrifle from the Joe Kindig Jr Collection.

At least one Fainot fowler is in Grinslade’s Flintlock Fowlers book.

I’m not sure which one is currently at the Rock Ford Lancaster exhibit.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 04:18:16 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline DaveM

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 02:19:37 PM »
Thanks Rich!  The one in the ALR library is a great piece.  Are dimensions available for that one? Also I am hoping for various dimensions and closeup photos if anyone has the capability.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 03:28:18 PM »
I don’t have dimensions but I have collected Fainot gun photos from auction house listings for years, and one chance to photograph an original. Search “Fainot flintlock” and you’ll find 4-5 guns that have been sold over the years.

Here’s the rifle I built https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=60312.0

If you want my photos let me know, after you search and save what you like.
Andover, Vermont

Offline DaveM

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2022, 06:14:54 PM »
After studying photos of originals your build is superb, nice job!  And yes if you can send me your photos that would be great.  I'll send you a pm.