Author Topic: Altering Siler lock appearance  (Read 2337 times)

Offline lexington1

Altering Siler lock appearance
« on: October 01, 2022, 08:28:08 PM »
I know that this has been probably been discussed, but I'm not having much luck searching. Any suggestions on altering the appearance of a large Siler flintlock? Does anybody know of any sources for different cocks, etc.? I like these Silers, but you can spot them a mile away.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

Re: Altering Siler lock appearance
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 09:30:03 PM »
  Here's a thread to get you started.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=56225.msg562695#msg562695

Aslo search "siler english conversion" or something similar.

Chris Hirsch at https://www.texasguntrade.com/ has cocks and other components.
Good luck
Kevin

Offline blienemann

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 12:04:35 AM »
Look for "How many ways can you modify a Siler Lock?" from February 22, 2018. There were a variety of mods shown. Bob

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 03:45:57 AM »
What style are you looking to make from the stock Siler?  I have modified 2 small Silers to more English style. It’s possible.  What are you trying for?
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline lexington1

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 05:28:33 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will check them out here promptly. I just want to make them look different. There are so many Silers on beautiful rifles ( I have a few) but they just look the same. I guess I'm just getting bored, lol.

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2022, 06:58:37 AM »
Lexington, maybe you can get a hold of an oversized Siler lock kit that Jim Chambers offers.  You can make the plate look anyway you lok then, within certain boundaries.  I have assembled JCs Gunbuilder's lock kits too, which offer the same blank plate. 

Birddog6

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2022, 03:55:20 PM »
I know that this has been probably been discussed, but I'm not having much luck searching. Any suggestions on altering the appearance of a large Siler flintlock? Does anybody know of any sources for different cocks, etc.? I like these Silers, but you can spot them a mile away.

I can tell you right off, you change the cock or the geometry of existing cock, most likely the ignition is
gonna change & you may not like it.

I have seen prob a Hundred of guys modify locks. I can count on one hand the ones that did a good job.

Physical appearance will not effect it. But if you change the geometry, be careful. You may have a real
winner of a lock & end up with a dud.

One time a guy told me he was making his own patch lube & it was a pretty good lube. Then he said next
week he is going to change it.  I said if it is Pretty Good, why change it ?  He said because I am the type
of guy that can't leave nothing alone, even if it works  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 03:58:53 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline Frank

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2022, 05:30:30 PM »
Maybe I am being to simplistic, but I just rounded off the tail and the pan.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 03:12:54 AM by Frank »

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2022, 07:45:06 PM »
Here is a small Siler with a home made plate.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 03:36:03 PM »
If you are wanting a unique shape for a Siler, wouldn't the Gunmaker's Flintlock be a good start? 

Offline Jakob

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 07:02:13 PM »
If you are wanting a unique shape for a Siler, wouldn't the Gunmaker's Flintlock be a good start?

You're still fairly limited to what you can do to the cock, but otherwise that's what I did.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 07:27:45 PM »
Here's a large Siler percussion plate turned into a reasonable representation of a Verner lock using replacement parts from TOW, and some filing after careful study.

And here's a Stan Hollenbaugh flintlock converted to resemble the lock on a A. Verner pistol.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline RAT

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 03:03:00 PM »
The quickest and easiest way to make a Siler look less "Siler" looking is to reshape the finial on the frizzen spring. This doesn't have any effect on functioning. That spear-point finial just speaks "Siler".

I'm of the belief that more than a few rifles shown in "Rifles of Colonial America" have Siler frizzens. I'm guessing these were used when converting back from percussion to flint in the modern era. You can spot a Siler frizzen from across a room.
Bob

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 07:40:14 PM »
A late era flintlock like those used on many  SMR’s can be made with a large Siler flint kit, and a Siler percussion mountain lock  plate. The flint plate serves as the pattern for the modifications to the percussion plate, and then all you have to to is round the pan, and modify the cock a bit. I think there are late flint hammers designed to fit the large Silers.

Hungry Horse

Birddog6

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2022, 01:37:45 PM »
The only place it will make a dif is on here or at a show. 99% of the people wouldn't know a Siler lock
from a Bedford lock. One time I had a guy walk up to me & look right at a flintlock I am holding, study
it a few minutes & said "That is really nice, I like that.  Where does the cap go ?"

You can do some subtle changes to a Siler to make it slightly off. But to make it Not a Siler you will have
to reshape the lockplate & possibly add metal, reshape the pan, change the cock or add metal to it, change
the arrow end of the frizzen spring.  I love Siler locks & have used many of them. A Siler & a late Ketland
are my two favorite locks. 

A Chambers Gunmaker lock has a rectangular unshaped blank lockplate & that gives a good starting point
to a different lock.  I have used several of these to start making one different.

Offline RAT

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2022, 02:25:47 PM »
2 more things that take little time and work, and that have no affect on functioning...

1. Change the screw that holds the cock onto the tumbler. Replace the flat/faceted Siler screw for one that's domed... or domed with a flange.
2. The underside of the pan has a flange. You can use a small round file to change it from convex to concave.

Along with reshaping the frizzen spring finial, none of these is radical, they take little time and work, and they make a Siler less obvious. In fact, if you took a rifle to a show or shoot with a Siler lock modified in this way, I'd bet money at least one person will ask the question... "what lock did you use".

I wish there was a way to change the look of the frizzen. That deep hollow cut where the back side of the frizzen face meets the pan cover is a big giveaway. People try to reshape it by grinding, but you can never get rid of that recess completely. You'd have to remove too much metal (in my opinion) to really make a difference. As mentioned above, Track of the Wolf used to sell parts (including a frizzen), but I don't think they have been available for a long time.
Bob

Offline shortbarrel

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 12:35:46 AM »
made a double throat cock for a small siler lock many years ago. Never got around to welding up the tail and making it round. May get around to finishing it one day, if I can find it.

Offline lexington1

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 09:05:42 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. I am just fishing for ideas. It seems to me that someone was making a large Siler cock that was shaped a bit different, but it could be my imagination. You can always tell when Siler parts were used in reconversions too. I love Silers but a little variety doesn't hurt!

Offline AsMs

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2022, 04:31:08 AM »

Here is a gun builders lock.

I shaped the plate. Reshaped the leading edge of the cock. Re shaped the finial. Reshaped the frizzen  bridle. Changed out the tumbler screw.

AsMs
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 04:52:09 AM by AsMs »